By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UPDATED!!! People like second hand games but software companies can't handle the cost.

What should be done?

Nothing, just as long my ... 94 64.38%

Block second hand use. only internet access. 8 5.48%

Include code with game to... 44 30.14%

Total:146
spaceguy said:

Yep and if they make a game like darksiders or the like, they make nothing because second hand games. You are way to stuck on Wii. How do 3rd party support do on it again? oh yea, nothing.

When third parties put the effort in, they got good results. Goldeneye 007 did better on Wii than the other platforms combined. So stop with your bias, and consider what I actually said.

And it has nothing to do with the Wii. As I said, there's a long list of crappy titles on the Wii, and those didn't hold their values. What is distinct about the PS3 and 360 is that it had a long list of AAA titles that quickly found their way into the used game market. This makes the comparison a lot easier, because those games are in high demand, whereas the used games found in Wii sections are almost all crappy titles that nobody wants, and not the top titles on the system.

But hey, why bother responding to my actual points, when you can make a totally irrelevant comment about 3rd party support on the Wii.

Meanwhile, if darksiders made nothing because of second hand games, then it wasn't a good enough game relative to development costs.

Around the Network

This thread is still going?

The used market has been proven time and time again to support the new market across all forms of goods. Used games are no different.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

spaceguy said:

I update the thread, oh and go buy Dead Space 3. Not only is it a great f'ing game, it needs to sell 5 million games. If didn't have second hand games, I don't think they would need to worry at all.

why should we care? Perhaps they should of made the game for less money so they dont have to sell so many. I'm not going to feel bad for people who make their own choices. I will by the game when its on sale for 15 or less on steam like i usually do.

I just realized that most of you are the same ones not every buying new and are a part of the problem. Most likely the people that want everything free and thinking second hand games don't hurt the market is just putting your head in the sand.

One game being sold second hand can take the place of 10 games new. That simple. other markets have way higher mark ups. Cars have parts and so do most other markets. So either you people that are cheap have to pay more or me the person who buys new has to have higher cost on new games. I say, none of you really buy that many new games, so it should be you to have to pay.

You have been warned, one or the other is going to happen. new games go way up in price or second hand market takes a hit. Personally all you complaining seem very, very, very, very ,very cheap. WOW!!!
So the cheap skats need to pay more.

thranx said:
spaceguy said:

I update the thread, oh and go buy Dead Space 3. Not only is it a great f'ing game, it needs to sell 5 million games. If didn't have second hand games, I don't think they would need to worry at all.

why should we care? Perhaps they should of made the game for less money so they dont have to sell so many. I'm not going to feel bad for people who make their own choices. I will by the game when its on sale for 15 or less on steam like i usually do.

Just like all the other comments. Seems most on this site are to cheap to even have internet but they do. The game is great and deserves the sales. I want all out games. I don't want my games limited because all the second hand buyers out there are extremely cheap.

How about this, get another job. Stop playing games, you don't have enough to afford it and even if you do, you don't want to even support the same people who give the reason you even talk on this site. This thread has made me sad for the developers. They have a base that is some of the cheapest out there. To bad.

Around the Network

Almost 37% believe we should limit second hand games. I sent this blog to Sony and MS and the results I think are good enough to do something about it and I hope they do. This thread proves there needs to be something done. You people think you should be given games at nothing all the time. Sorry but When it does happen, I'll bring this thread back up and I bet most of you that complained will have bought the same system you said you wouldn't.

spaceguy said:
thranx said:
spaceguy said:

Just like all the other comments. Seems most on this site are to cheap to even have internet but they do. The game is great and deserves the sales. I want all out games. I don't want my games limited because all the second hand buyers out there are extremely cheap.

How about this, get another job. Stop playing games, you don't have enough to afford it and even if you do, you don't want to even support the same people who give the reason you even talk on this site. This thread has made me sad for the developers. They have a base that is some of the cheapest out there. To bad.

hey buddy, i dont by used games. I wait for sales, but if i did so what? I get value for my dollar, no nedd to buy a game at full retail price when they will drrop price or i can get it used. If they decide to take that away, I will go back to pc gaming no big deal. Its not about being cheap, its about being smart with my money. As developers they should be smart with theirs too. Did deadspace 1 and 2 cost 300 million to make too? if not maby they should make their third game they same way as the first 2. they are a business, they need to know what they can sell and what they can spend. it not my job to do that for them. And developer are more than welcome to try to cut out the second hand game market, ut its bad to bite the hand that feeds you and the smart one know this.

spaceguy said:
I just realized that most of you are the same ones not every buying new and are a part of the problem. Most likely the people that want everything free and thinking second hand games don't hurt the market is just putting your head in the sand.  

Wow, that's quite a claim, and rather offensive to boot. You just said that anybody who would consider second hand games to be acceptable must necessarily never buy new games.

I own over 40 Wii games. Of those, I might have bought one or two of them used (I'm not even certain I bought one of them used). I bought a few DS games used (maybe 3-4 of them), mostly games that I otherwise wouldn't have bought at all, just because they were too cheap to pass up, and I'd heard a few good things about them. Other than that, my main used-game expenditures were from the previous generation - Gamecube and GBA... at that time, you couldn't buy them new anymore, and EBGames was having a huge sale where they were getting rid of the last of their stock for $2 per GBA game and $5 per GC game.

Oh, and I've traded in a game maybe 3-4 times in my life. Two of those games were because I was very underwhelmed with them, and it was a trade-in deal, 2-for-1 (the traded games were Big Brain Academy and, I think, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2). Another was Super Mario 3D Land, which I traded for Pokemon White 2 because the store had a one-for-one deal and I didn't have the money to buy White 2; I intend on buying Super Mario 3D Land again eventually, probably a new copy and not a used copy. I may have once traded some other game, but I'm not certain of it.

But hey, I'm not offended by the used game market, and thus I must necessarily be someone who never buys new games, right?

What you've just done is attack everyone who disagrees with you, rather than countering their arguments. So you can go and... enjoy your own company, if you know what I mean.

I think OP is forgetting the #1 rule of business. The consumers are never wrong. If software companies fail it's their own fault.

You say Gamestop is killing the industry, but Walmart, best buy, and other places sell used games too ya know.....

Watch used games be banned and the industry crashes in to the ground, leaving companies saying "Hurr durr why'd we fail?"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:
I think OP is forgetting the #1 rule of business. The consumers are never wrong. If software companies fail it's their own fault.

You say Gamestop is killing the industry, but Walmart, best buy, and other places sell used games too ya know.....

Watch used games be banned and the industry crashes in to the ground, leaving companies saying "Hurr durr why'd we fail?"

Is EA code registration failing their games? No I don't think so.

After reading this thread, I'm Completely for it now. I was a little skeptic at first but this thread has proved it should be done. The people that buy second hand don't help the business anyway. I have first hand with my brother who buys this way all the time.  He never buys new and most likely makes a used game make 2 rounds at a minimum. If you can't afford a $10-$15 code, than maybe you shouldn't be playing games. Plus I already named that all would happen is that Game stop would offer less money for used games. Not a big deal but people are freaking out. You get less money for used games and I pay less when buying new. It's a fair trade because the used buyer is ruining the industry.  it's either that or games have to go up in price. I'm  not willing to pay for assholes like my brother.
Yes he is a cheap fuck.