By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog wants to change the industry by rising above the 'idiot plot'

riderz13371 said:
EVERYBODY JUST CALM THE FUCK DOWN UP IN HERE!

Could... could this be the first thing we completely agree upon?!

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
riderz13371 said:
EVERYBODY JUST CALM THE FUCK DOWN UP IN HERE!

Could... could this be the first thing we completely agree upon?!

No...it...it can't be! I change my mind! EVERYBODY FLAME EACH OTHER UP IN HERE!

Player1x3 said:

The argument i was making is that TLOU is more mature than mario - in almost every way.  I was responding to a guy that complained about mature content and adult themes in videogames.

And ESRB ratings have LOTS to do with game's visual content (which i used to prove my point), which they later use to assign the game to a specific audience/s

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp#descriptors

The only argument you made to me was the picture one.  And again, just because the ESRB is saying that specific visual content is for mature audiences does not make a game mature.  The ESRB is describing the audience not the content.  If you want to say that TLOU has mature content because it's rated M, you must also logically say that Lego Batman has "everybody 10 plus content" within it, and that clearly makes no sense at all.

I'm still skeptical about this game
Naughty Dog has failed me with Uncharted 3 & the way they decided to handle that game has turned me off from them as a company, the multiplayer for UC3 is a broken/laggy mess

The Single player is good but lackluster in areas, not to mention the amount of bug/glitches in the Single player as well, after my first play through I haven't been able to play it again due to the never ending spinning ring .

They are also one of the most money hungry devs in the industry they are the Activision/Capcom of Sony First Party Devs.

Drakey said:
Naughty Dog has failed me with Uncharted 3 & the way they decided to handle that game has turned me off from them as a company, the multiplayer for UC3 is a broken/laggy mess

The Single player is good but lackluster in areas, not to mention the amount of bug/glitches in the Single player as well, after my first play through I haven't been able to play it again due to the never ending spinning ring .

They are also one of the most money hungry devs in the industry they are the Activision/Capcom of Sony First Party Devs.

Sorry but I'm about to go off on you. Are you fucking serious? Don't you ever, EVER, compare Naughty Dog to Activision. Fucking sakes, how dare you compare them to Activision and then call them a money whore. Are you out of your mind. I suggest you see a doctor immediatly. Never in my life have I read a statement as fucked up as that. I hope you don't last long here. Welcome to VGChartz.

Around the Network
Ultr said:
Fireforgey said:
riderz13371 said:
RazorDragon said:
But before rising above the idiot plot, they should rise above the Indiana Jones plot.

You have never even played Uncharted, try to be less obvious bro. Welcome to VGChartz.

I myself have never played it, but I watched it on Youtube.  And....Yes, it was Indiana Jones.  I only wantched number one though but was underwhelmed. Not sure what people see in it.

Why bother commenting if you obviously never played the games especially never got over the first one.

YOU see, THIS IS A GAME, right, the point is to PLAY it. but hey thats just how I see it... what a troll comment pal :P

I don't see why this is a troll comment.  I saw one complete game and was completely underwhelmed by the story.  Sure I don't know how the gameplay goes but if you look at what Naughty Dog is saying, their innovation will come from not the gameplay, but storywise.  I am dubious about this fact because I don't beleive their story telling ability is really that great.

"Why bother commenting if you obviously never played the games especially never got over the first one"

Huh?  I just told you that I didn't play the game, how can it be obvious if I admitted to it?  Second of all, I never saw numbers 2 & 3 because I had no interest after the first one.  I thought that the story was very generic.  So forgive me for.....I guess trolling if that is what they call opinions (that aren't flaming) nowadays.  But, I doubt that they can move the industry forward in terms of story, not to say that they haven't or aren't pushing the industry forward in many other ways.  It's just that in this specific matter I don't believe them.

danasider said:

@Mnementh

I totally agree with you.  I notice that when story debates occur within video game forums, people get defensive for our favorite pastime and don't want to admit that games are currently inferior to movies and books in that one aspect.  Like you, I am not saying that video games as a whole are inferior.  I actually enjoy them more than movies and books, myself.  But one cannot simply reference the state of emotions that arise from the immersive factor inherent in video games as a means of arguing its storytelling prowess.

Story is a narrative, an account of a sequence of events.  I don't disagree with the argument that immersion makes the story better (I wholeheartedly agree, actually).  But immersion isn't the story.  To argue so would be like saying, Gran Turismo has a great story because you felt like a racecar driver who was about to get a heart attack while taking sharp turns and winning a race the very last second of the final lap, or NBA 2k13 has a great story because of the excitement it stirred in you when you got that winning three-point land buzzer beater in the Championship game.  Just because video games have an ability to stir emotion and make the player that much more invested in it than in movies or books, does not mean that those events shape a superior story.  Immerision is a tool used to make the player more engrossed in the story, but if you took a lot of game stories at face value (stripped of the nostalgia from IMMERSION), my opinion is that many would actually be cliche at best and laughable at worst.

I present to you an example: Dark Souls. Now, the story of Dark Souls, the actual sequence of events is that you're an undead that goes against your fate of being locked up in an Asylum, you start murdering every unnatural beast in your path as you climb over obstacles and are repeatedly slapped down, only to rise again until you reach the last of the Lords and, in destroying him, you either become him or free the world of the oppresion of the light. There's a good book in that one if you think about.

Now, in assuming you've played the game, think about how it would have be if you turned that into literary form. And I don't mean just the sequence of events, I mean the visual part. The overgrown gardens which no keeper had touched in years, the black knights as they forever guard pathways, the frozen world as it sits trapped in a painting and so on. Grab the subtle details of the environment and craft the story with ALL of them in mind, with the people that tell you stories by the camp fire, with the desolation and the loneliness of the main character, with the subtle questions of what is actually right in what you're doing. A good author would probably be able to pull off a Hugo winer with this material.

You hang on to the concept that a story is just a sequence of events and a mash up of memorable characters. A good story needs to have impact, to have immersion, to stir the person that experiences it, it is not reduced to how many twists and how much action you can have in it. Games are unfairly judged by some absurd standards that aren't theirs.And that is why I said that a lot of people will be told a great story but they will never know it because the audience in general is not yet equiped to distinguish facets of a story that go beyond the clear and simple. 

You said people get defensive about our favorite pastime. Well my favorite pastime is actually reading, not gaming. I read and buy books a lot more than I play or buy games. By your logic, I should be on the opposite side, but I believe that gaming is different than books and films and it should be treated as such, judged on its own merits and on its own terms. Story telling can indeed improve in games, but it shouldn't be improved towards books or films, to which the comparisons go, it should be grafted tightly to the interactivity of the medium.Characters in games need to be better rounded, to make sense and be believable, to interact with others in a human fashion rather than a plot device, which is where this discussion has started.

JWeinCom said:
Player1x3 said:

The argument i was making is that TLOU is more mature than mario - in almost every way.  I was responding to a guy that complained about mature content and adult themes in videogames.

And ESRB ratings have LOTS to do with game's visual content (which i used to prove my point), which they later use to assign the game to a specific audience/s

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp#descriptors

The only argument you made to me was the picture one.  And again, just because the ESRB is saying that specific visual content is for mature audiences does not make a game mature.  The ESRB is describing the audience not the content.  If you want to say that TLOU has mature content because it's rated M, you must also logically say that Lego Batman has "everybody 10 plus content" within it, and that clearly makes no sense at all.

What exactly are you even arguing for anyway ? You seem to be arguing just for sake of arguing. I made my point clear multiple times in this thread, but i have no idea what yours is.

TLOU has mature visual content and mature story/characters. Mario (and most other nintendo games for that matter) have neither. Now what exactly are you trying to argue about there?

ESRB sees if a game has visually mature content and then assigns that game to a mature audience. ESRB sees if a game has a visual content that is suitable for "everybody 10'' and then assigns that game to everybody that is 10 and older audience. It's a simple rocket science, no?

Fireforgey said:
Ultr said:
Fireforgey said:
riderz13371 said:
RazorDragon said:
But before rising above the idiot plot, they should rise above the Indiana Jones plot.

You have never even played Uncharted, try to be less obvious bro. Welcome to VGChartz.

I myself have never played it, but I watched it on Youtube.  And....Yes, it was Indiana Jones.  I only wantched number one though but was underwhelmed. Not sure what people see in it.

Why bother commenting if you obviously never played the games especially never got over the first one.

YOU see, THIS IS A GAME, right, the point is to PLAY it. but hey thats just how I see it... what a troll comment pal :P

I don't see why this is a troll comment.  I saw one complete game and was completely underwhelmed by the story.  Sure I don't know how the gameplay goes but if you look at what Naughty Dog is saying, their innovation will come from not the gameplay, but storywise.  I am dubious about this fact because I don't beleive their story telling ability is really that great.

"Why bother commenting if you obviously never played the games especially never got over the first one"

Huh?  I just told you that I didn't play the game, how can it be obvious if I admitted to it?  Second of all, I never saw numbers 2 & 3 because I had no interest after the first one.  I thought that the story was very generic.  So forgive me for.....I guess trolling if that is what they call opinions (that aren't flaming) nowadays.  But, I doubt that they can move the industry forward in terms of story, not to say that they haven't or aren't pushing the industry forward in many other ways.  It's just that in this specific matter I don't believe them.

You will never get it until you play the game.

and I don't know how many times people have to say it.

Uncharted 1 was good

Uncharted 2 is an whole new level

So go play Uncharted 2 if you really want to know why the gaming industry is all over it

Drakey said:

Well, Uncharted 3 was made by their "b-team" whilst the team that made Uncharted 2 were working on The Last of Us. In Uncharted 3, you can kinda see that they re-used levels from the multiplayer for single player which meant they had some fairly large arenas for gameplay, but I don't think they work particularly well for single-player as the AI doesn't seem to be designed around the levels.

Anyway, as I was saying Last of Us should be fine as it's designed by the main group at ND.