By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo game discussion

choirsoftheeye said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
Vladez said:
@Griffin:

Are you some sort of mindless, senseless living object?? I just cannot BELIEVE you don't like the Zelda and Mario games, they represent what videogaming is, in its greatest glory!

What do you like then? I suppose staring at a blank wall for 30 minutes is your idea of fun...

They represent gaming TO YOU. After getting massively addicted to rpgs like Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 6. I took a look at the stories in Nintendo games and accidentally let out a strange laugh. I can't take them seriously anymore, I find myself stuck on story driven games and I find it a much more fulfilling experience. I basically take it like this, Nintendo offers a great gameplay experience at the cost of character build, and storyline. Now if I play a 3rd party game, that offeres me a great gameplay experience of the same genre, AND offers me a compelling storyline, I'm sold :P I find no reason to take the (in my opinion) lesser of the two quality games.

... go read a book.

Are videogames not a form of expression through interactive media o.O? Why should I play a game I feel offers me less than something the competition offers. 

Keep an open mind please. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
Dodece said:
@Griffin

The answer to your question is this. Your not a fan of cerebral game play. Your probably more of an action, reflex, adrenaline gamer. You want to test your skill rather then your wit. Meanwhile other gamers like to test their intuitions and like to unravel puzzles. Your probably not the kind of person who will take an hour untangling a cord of Christmas lights. For some people there is a pleasant Zen quality to solving something otherwise so meaningless.

There is no right or wrong answer. I suspect in twitched base gaming you might just be a real menace. Toss you into a problem solving environment, and your perhaps sluggish, or easily defeated. Other people can breeze through the puzzles in a Zelda game. So for you the game can get boring meanwhile the other guy might be moving through the game three or four times faster then you are.

I think most gamers are generalists they can enjoy both extremes as long as they are not over powering. While the minority find themselves being drawn into a tighter niche. That is why games like Mario Kart have such a strong appeal, but a game like Civilization on the intellectual side, or a game like FEAR on the twitch based side will never see that kind of success.

that's actually a really good post.  I am definitely on the "cerebral" side of the spectrum.

I was on the 'cerebral' side for most of my life. My tastes have drifted to appreciate the 'adrenaline' and 'cerebral' sides equally anymore

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

ChronotriggerJM said:
choirsoftheeye said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
Vladez said:
@Griffin:

Are you some sort of mindless, senseless living object?? I just cannot BELIEVE you don't like the Zelda and Mario games, they represent what videogaming is, in its greatest glory!

What do you like then? I suppose staring at a blank wall for 30 minutes is your idea of fun...

They represent gaming TO YOU. After getting massively addicted to rpgs like Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 6. I took a look at the stories in Nintendo games and accidentally let out a strange laugh. I can't take them seriously anymore, I find myself stuck on story driven games and I find it a much more fulfilling experience. I basically take it like this, Nintendo offers a great gameplay experience at the cost of character build, and storyline. Now if I play a 3rd party game, that offeres me a great gameplay experience of the same genre, AND offers me a compelling storyline, I'm sold :P I find no reason to take the (in my opinion) lesser of the two quality games.

... go read a book.

Are videogames not a form of expression through interactive media o.O? Why should I play a game I feel offers me less than something the competition offers.

Keep an open mind please.

I do have an open mind. When I was 12-15 I LOVED video game stories. And I do recognize the potential that has been very rarely half-realized to take story-telling to a greater level through video games, but for the most part, story-heavy games are hackeneyed, unoriginal and uninteresting. I also think that the story often detracts from the game rather than adds to it, because the fitting of interactivity and a pre-determined storyline together is often awkard and ungainly.

I do think that Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger have perfectly decent young adult storylines, but given that their status as some of the best story-driven games ever, I'd have to come down hard on the shallow characterizations, light world-building, face-value addressal of issues, shoddy writing, etc. The point being: their only great success is that the story didn't interfere with the game. (I can't vouch for a lot of older PC adventure games - I respect the games that I've played in the genre with witty writing, like Curse of Monkey Island... though Half-Life's story was laughably bad) While that's all well and good, if you take a look at some of the more recent storytelling heavyweights (see, for example Final Fantasy X), the stories are interspersed poorly, often have shit voice acting and endless cut scenes, that just keep the player from actually playing the game. And in general, the characters are all still cliches, the worlds are incredibly artificial, and the emotional depth isn't there.

...(insert stuff about advanced AI and/or professional writers, etc. realizing the potential of video games as a storytelling medium)...

Wasn't "Adult" Link like 16? I'm sorry but it takes more than a growth spurt and some earrings to be an adult.

I did find it interesting that they at least thought about an "adult" Link in WW. Apparently the recreate some models for other Zelda gameseven if they don't use them, the SSBB model is "Twilight Princess Shiek" even though she wasn't inthe game, and I saw sketches of "Adult" Link from WW.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"