By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - NEW IDEA for playstation 4 XMB (a bit long)

Tagged games:

kitler53 said:
no.

no, why?

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
Says Nintendo is kiddy, says promoting Sackboy is genius!.....

You know Sackboy should have been a mix of primary colors to attract kids, not brown. Do you want the core or not?

That's why sackboy will come with skins! You can dress him up however you want!

Nintendo is kiddy, and Sony should (I mean seriously why would I even have to explain this) be able to have something as an option that can cater to the same crowd.

What a novel idea. The problem is it's well, pointless. As you said you could switch back and fourth between it and the normal mode so then what's the advantage? Sackboy functions are even more pointless than Miis and the background is pretty much just a dynamic theme.

theprof00 said:
kitler53 said:
no.

no, why?

let's start with you don't want to tie your product to a specific game that many people will not find appealing.  that will make the entire product unappealing.

next this is conviluted and complicated and it's been proven time and time again that most people don't like this sort of crap.  menus are not supposed to be games, they are supposed to be menus.  people want efficiency in selecting content.  don't get between the consumer and their consumables.

then we have the fact that xmb themes already exist and allow you to do the core concept but a hell of a lot more gracefully.

make sackboy the sony mii? that isn't actually a bad idea...

everything else though, I would say no. A little big planet interface would be terrible, slow, and frustrating.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
theprof00 said:
kitler53 said:
no.

no, why?

let's start with you don't want to tie your product to a specific game that many people will not find appealing.  that will make the entire product unappealing.

next this is conviluted and complicated and it's been proven time and time again that most people don't like this sort of crap.  menus are not supposed to be games, they are supposed to be menus.  people want efficiency in selecting content.  don't get between the consumer and their consumables.

then we have the fact that xmb themes already exist and allow you to do the core concept but a hell of a lot more gracefully.

It's an option. It's not forced. You can always switch to the standard xmb setup if you prefer your precious menus lol

The point of using it is to have something that delivers a feeling of brand cohesion. You start up and see a castlevania sackboy that you friend, next to him is a dante, and a crash bandicoot.

This isn't jsut about navigation. It's about the extra mile. It's about Sony spending, what, pennies per person to give something special to do when the game is over, something that really says 'thank you', while at the same time surrounds you with sack dressed as playstation characters, with game levels and people making new content. This is how you build franchises. This is virtual merchandising.

gergroy said:
make sackboy the sony mii? that isn't actually a bad idea...

everything else though, I would say no. A little big planet interface would be terrible, slow, and frustrating.

according to your imagination of it. It can be done, and done efficiently.

LittleBigPlanet has not taken off sufficiently to be a company mascot, especially when people that don't play it will object to it.

I think you just want everyone to have LBP in their face so it sells more. User generated content will never be mainstream, the market has already decided.

Soleron said:

LittleBigPlanet has not taken off sufficiently to be a company mascot, especially when people that don't play it will object to it.

I think you just want everyone to have LBP in their face so it sells more. User generated content will never be mainstream, the market has already decided.

.... I don't understand how people are getting so lost in this. Is it that complex of an idea?
Sackboy is not a character. He is a whiteboard. He is a Mii. Obviously Miis are popular, and in the same way, sack can be too.

And again, you're not forced to use it.
This isn't about UGC.

Again, think of it as something more similar to street pass.
You get rewarded for advertising to yourself. That's the whole concept of streetpass. You get a little gift for exposing yourself to the nintendo universe. It's pretty simple.

theprof00 said:
Soleron said:

.... I don't understand how people are getting so lost in this. Is it that complex of an idea?
Sackboy is not a character. He is a whiteboard. He is a Mii. Obviously Miis are popular, and in the same way, sack can be too.

And again, you're not forced to use it.
This isn't about UGC.

Again, think of it as something more similar to street pass.
You get rewarded for advertising to yourself. That's the whole concept of streetpass. You get a little gift for exposing yourself to the nintendo universe. It's pretty simple.

Miis were not popular because they were used in Wii advertising. Wii was popular because of what Miis and their games brought to it, being personal and social and truly a blank slate. Marketing does not make unpopular things popular.

Sackboy has already proven he is not popular enough to sell a whole console. In fact the games are rather niche.

I'm not objecting to the reward system (for now, at least), I'm objecting to Sackboy being used. It will alienate the majority of PS3 owners, who aren't Sony's wacky game fanboys and buy for CoD and the big third party games. On Nintendo there were few core games to alienate, and those that were had to buy Wii for the first party titles. That is not the case with PS3, those gamers will easily leave for the 360 as the PS2-> early PS3 transition shows.

Of course it's about UGC. LBP is about UGC and you want to make PS4 about LBP: skins, levels, content via a store and so on. That just serves LBP.