By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - NEW IDEA for playstation 4 XMB (a bit long)

Tagged games:

theprof00 said:
gergroy said:
make sackboy the sony mii? that isn't actually a bad idea...

everything else though, I would say no. A little big planet interface would be terrible, slow, and frustrating.

according to your imagination of it. It can be done, and done efficiently.

there isn't a way you could do it that would be better than the xmb as it is now.  What you describe might be fun to play around with for a day or so, but then people would just switch to the normal menu because they could get around more easily.  Your idea is basically just a sackboy playstation home and there is a reason that home didn't succeed.  It's because nobody wanted it...

Around the Network
Soleron said:
theprof00 said:
Soleron said:

LittleBigPlanet has not taken off sufficiently to be a company mascot, especially when people that don't play it will object to it.

I think you just want everyone to have LBP in their face so it sells more. User generated content will never be mainstream, the market has already decided.

.... I don't understand how people are getting so lost in this. Is it that complex of an idea?
Sackboy is not a character. He is a whiteboard. He is a Mii. Obviously Miis are popular, and in the same way, sack can be too.

And again, you're not forced to use it.
This isn't about UGC.

Again, think of it as something more similar to street pass.
You get rewarded for advertising to yourself. That's the whole concept of streetpass. You get a little gift for exposing yourself to the nintendo universe. It's pretty simple.

Miis were not popular because they were used in Wii advertising. Wii was popular because of what Miis and their games brought to it, being personal and social and truly a blank slate. Marketing does not make unpopular things popular.

Sackboy has already proven he is not popular enough to sell a whole console. In fact the games are rather niche.

I'm not objecting to the reward system (for now, at least), I'm objecting to Sackboy being used. It will alienate the majority of PS3 owners, who aren't Sony's wacky game fanboys and buy for CoD and the big third party games. On Nintendo there were few core games to alienate, and those that were had to buy Wii for the first party titles. That is not the case with PS3, those gamers will easily leave for the 360 as the PS2-> early PS3 transition shows.

Of course it's about UGC. LBP is about UGC and you want to make PS4 about LBP: skins, levels, content via a store and so on. That just serves LBP.

So the one thing you really object to is Sackboy being used....
The skins, levels, content is the reward. You get a little gift for buying a sony game.

What kind of reward would u suggst then?

theprof00 said:
Soleron said:
theprof00 said:
Soleron said:

LittleBigPlanet has not taken off sufficiently to be a company mascot, especially when people that don't play it will object to it.

I think you just want everyone to have LBP in their face so it sells more. User generated content will never be mainstream, the market has already decided.

.... I don't understand how people are getting so lost in this. Is it that complex of an idea?
Sackboy is not a character. He is a whiteboard. He is a Mii. Obviously Miis are popular, and in the same way, sack can be too.

And again, you're not forced to use it.
This isn't about UGC.

Again, think of it as something more similar to street pass.
You get rewarded for advertising to yourself. That's the whole concept of streetpass. You get a little gift for exposing yourself to the nintendo universe. It's pretty simple.

Miis were not popular because they were used in Wii advertising. Wii was popular because of what Miis and their games brought to it, being personal and social and truly a blank slate. Marketing does not make unpopular things popular.

Sackboy has already proven he is not popular enough to sell a whole console. In fact the games are rather niche.

I'm not objecting to the reward system (for now, at least), I'm objecting to Sackboy being used. It will alienate the majority of PS3 owners, who aren't Sony's wacky game fanboys and buy for CoD and the big third party games. On Nintendo there were few core games to alienate, and those that were had to buy Wii for the first party titles. That is not the case with PS3, those gamers will easily leave for the 360 as the PS2-> early PS3 transition shows.

Of course it's about UGC. LBP is about UGC and you want to make PS4 about LBP: skins, levels, content via a store and so on. That just serves LBP.

The skins, levels, content is the reward. You get a little gift for buying a sony game.

Earn rewards across all of Sony's franchises. Perhaps turn PS+ into an 'F2P' system, where you can earn the same rewards as the subscription with with lots of achevements or playtime or retail game purchases? Bearing in mind that all those things cause Sony revenue anyway.

Stop reading after you said LBP on its own is not a 'great game'... Um... LBP is one of the best if not the best and most original IP to come out of this gen. It's I'd a lot better then great.

PlaystaionGamer said:
Stop reading after you said LBP on its own is not a 'great game'... Um... LBP is one of the best if not the best and most original IP to come out of this gen. It's I'd a lot better then great.

I was being polite. I didn't want someone who hated lbp to be completely turned off by my praise.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
theprof00 said:

Earn rewards across all of Sony's franchises. Perhaps turn PS+ into an 'F2P' system, where you can earn the same rewards as the subscription with with lots of achevements or playtime or retail game purchases? Bearing in mind that all those things cause Sony revenue anyway.

That sounds really generic and inorganic

theprof00 said:
Soleron said:
theprof00 said:

Well, yes. It's a business. Not a playground.

Soleron said:
theprof00 said:

<_<

theprof00 said:
Soleron said:
theprof00 said:

theprof00 said:

This thread has been a while in the making. I've been thinking up ideas regarding Sony's PS4 direction and writing them down, and felt that this was a good opportunity to post one.

The face of PS4.

Specifically, this thread is going to focus on the "theme" of playstation. Think something similar to 3DS' Street Pass feature and you'll have a rough idea what I'm talking about...an overarcing functionality that contributes to the theme of the console.

The idea I'm talking about, is LittleBigPlanet.

LBP is a unique IP in that it allows users to play against or with each other in a variety of activities. On its own, it is not a 'great' game, but it does have a lot of personality and potential as an overarcing console theme.

Allow me to highlight some of the important thematic uses.
-LBP should be FREE on every PS4 (and I believe Vita as well, but that's for another thread)
-Sony needs to hire someone (one person is enough) to just sit and make skins and levels all day long. His goal below:
-Every game that is released needs to come with a custom skin, custom levels, and custom stickers. The only other way to obtain this content is to buy it on PS+ for 3.99 per pack; OR by playing people's levels to earn 'points', sort of like how League of Legends handles DLC.
-Buying DLC content for LBP needs to be extremely simple
-LBP should be the hub of the system. LBP should replace PS Home the xmb, and serve as a default navigation GUI.

Just wanted to unbury this thread for a moment.

Obviously, I don't think Sony went far enough with the idea.

Ideally, LBP Hub should be pre-installed on every system. I haven't heard of exactly WHAT is going to be on the hub, but hopefully they are going with the type of content I'm talking about, game related levels and skins, etc.

Other than that, I'm excited to see that Sony did something very similar to what I suggested they should do.

I think Sony is being a bit too shy with the idea.