By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Sony mislead devs

"Sony lied about PS4 Specs"

but even if they are wrong, developers ARE going to be using the devkits themselves to develop / Port games, so why would they ever lie? and whats the use of lying?

Around the Network

Rumors can be either more or less believable based on the information within them, the source, and so on.

For example, if a random person said, "I heard a rumor that the inside of the X-Box 720 is made of the rarest truffles known to man". That would be not a very credible rumor.

Now if a person with a reputation in the game industry on the line who has provided credible information in the past says "I heard rumors the PS4 will include 4 GB of Ram" that rumor would be more believable.

Not all rumors are created equally.

This rumor is nonsense. Sony would have sent out dev kits so that devs could get started on next gen games. There is no way that Sony would intentionally send out gimped kits. They would end up with a bunch of crap ports that nobody wants for the first year or two.

007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:
007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:

So we count a random B3D member's comment as "rumor" now?what a new low
http://forum.beyond3d.com/member.php?u=88665

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1702109&postcount=1221

it wasn't just 1 user..

and how is this any different from other rumors? they are all just speculations till proven right/wrong

It's is,even MUGEN also notice that

And "how is this any different from other rumors?"Are you implying that random B3D guy was you?Yeah,i mean you created a random account in B3D and then blah blah blah mislead then you take it back to VGC,is that so?Don't say i'm wrong,it just another rumor,right?

if this upsets you so much, then just leave..

Why i need to upset about random user wishful comment?

kain_kusanagi said:
 They would end up with a bunch of crap ports that nobody wants for the first year or two.

Not exactly. The dev kits could still have used parts 5x faster than PS3's GPU (say HD7750 level of performance). That would allow developers to deliver games that look better than PS3's right away. However, the final console could have a GPU of say HD7970M level (~HD7850 2GB) or closer to 9x that of PS3's GPU, giving additional headroom to make games look even better in the long-term. It would be a pretty clever troll move. 

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
This rumor is nonsense. Sony would have sent out dev kits so that devs could get started on next gen games. There is no way that Sony would intentionally send out gimped kits. They would end up with a bunch of crap ports that nobody wants for the first year or two.

Hey... so... you know how we gave you those dev kits?  Well... that was just this prank thing we were doing on Microsoft.  We're actually going with something completely different... sooooooooo... you'll probably have to... you know... update your code to run on different hardware.  Oh and this hardware is more powerful, so if you could, you know, spruce up the graphics a little bit, that'd be great.  And we're still launching around the same time, so chop chop, k?  Great working with you guys, and we look forward to your continued support!

Seems legit.

Xxain said:
... Im baffled. Let me put this together - SONY did not play their full hand in revealing full console specs to ensure security from would be copycats, t developers who this article claims were leaking them leaking them to the competition? This makes it SONY's fault the competition was gullible enough to design their HW around leaked specs?

assuming this is true it is completely retarded and a fantastic troll. Somebody is gonna have explain why SONY is at fault

didn't you read the OP? It's Sony's fault if the 3rd party launch titles don't use the additional processing power and memory!

becaus they LIED!

...it's just not faaaaair!

*bursts into tears*

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

JWeinCom said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Hey... so... you know how we gave you those dev kits?  Well... that was just this prank thing we were doing on Microsoft.  We're actually going with something completely different... sooooooooo... you'll probably have to... you know... update your code to run on different hardware.  Oh and this hardware is more powerful, so if you could, you know, spruce up the graphics a little bit, that'd be great.  And we're still launching around the same time, so chop chop, k?  Great working with you guys, and we look forward to your continued support!

Seems legit.

LOL.

So yeah, you guys still owe us for those first prank dev kits and now for the new real dev kits. We don't give those away you know.

Totaly legit.

D-Joe said:
007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:
007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:

it wasn't just 1 user..

and how is this any different from other rumors? they are all just speculations till proven right/wrong

And "how is this any different from other rumors?"Are you implying that random B3D guy was you?Yeah,i mean you created a random account in B3D and then blah blah blah mislead then you take it back to VGC,is that so?Don't say i'm wrong,it just another rumor,right?

then who really cares, plus i don't think this is true at all, although it kinda make's sense, 'if the recent durango specs are true'

007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:
007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:
007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:

it wasn't just 1 user..

then who really cares, plus i don't think this is true at all, although it kinda make's sense, 'if the recent durango specs are true'

But it doesn't