By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How well will FFXIII do in Japan?

if it was bundled it would definetly sell software + hardware

Around the Network

FFXIII will probably explode out in Japan, but have non-existent legs.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I expect the 1st week sales would be around 700k if the game is released around mid 2009...

It is quite difficult to sell much in Japan nowadays...

I think 1.3-1.5 million at the minimum. I have my release date prediction set at exactly 1 year from next week. With PS3 tracking pretty closely with PS1 over same time period, Jan. 09 would be the same launch to release time period for PS3 as PS1.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

>FFXIII will probably explode out in Japan, but have non-existent legs.

when a game sells close to 2 million copies in first week, it doesn't NEED legs. lol

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

It'll sell at least 1.75 mil in Japan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

FF is still one of the biggest series in Japan, along with DQ and Mario. If there is any series that will sell no matter what console it's on, this would be it.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

But then the game goes downhill from there. FFXIII will sell close to 1M to 1.5M first week but for hardware units it will increase to about 100k before and during release date it will be around 150k and after the hardware units will drop due to fans already either owning a PS3 or having one since launch.

Dynasty Warriors 6 did nice numbers in Japan first week.

PS3 hardware units were not great before release though.

BR- 17k
DR- 57k
AF- 47k

So Dynasty Warriors did good so you know Final Fantasy XIII will push the PS3 to higher heights. But not for long. PS3 will need more software as was with the PS2 to continue that streak after FFXIII releases.

it will sell over 2m. it's almost unthinkable that a FF will sell less than 2m in Japan. I'm not talking about first week or first month.

Are you talking about just XIII? Or Versus XIII as well?

I personally think both will do really well.

Although, I think FFvXIII may sell a tad bit better since it's Nomura directing it, and some of his influences are Shonen Jump which has Bleach and Naruto, and those anime's are doing well. But then again, who knows.