By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What should Sony do with its 8.25% stake in Square Enix?

TrevDaRev said:
Wow. Didn't know Sony had a stake in Square Enix! When did this take place?

IIRC it was when Square released Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, the size of the flop hurt Square so badly, Sony had to come in and prop them up a bit, however at the time it was roughly 20%, but because Squaresoft merged with Enix, that percentage dropped to less than 10 :(

Also, I definitely think Sony should buy the rest of Square, granted they'd have to pay quite a large sum of money, but I think if they time it just after Square announce their end of year financials, shares will drop meaning prime time to buy! :D

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Raise its stake in SE, then over 5 6 years they'll have a majority and SE will be Sony owned.

That would be devastating....! Though it would make me buy Sony products.

back then trying to conquer Hollywood with Spirits Within and now trying to conquer mmorpgs with FF XIV

both attempts full of ego and arrogance

I think it would be better for Square Enix right now, as much as I'd love to see Final Fantasy available to a wider audience.

I would be mass dissapoint... unless sony continued releaseing all the great Eidos PC ports. All the Japanase games are fine because I by them on PS3 anyways (or iphone :)).

Around the Network

if SE is so low they should by another 5% -and sell them when ff13-3 sales are pushing SE higher.

buying SE is no bad idea(not 100% but 42% to get the majority)as you get ff,dq and tomb raider but sony has not the money right know.

axumblade said:
...I don't know why Square Enix is doing poorly

A Realm Reborn

TrevDaRev said:
Wow. Didn't know Sony had a stake in Square Enix! When did this take place?

Sony took a 25% stake in Square when the spirits within flopped basically giving Square  room to move and insuring the enix merger went ahead , it became  12% in square enix after the merger .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

absolutely. 8.25 % is not neglectable a percentage at all and i have said it over and over again, Final Fantasy is the only title next to Gran Turismo that can be Sony's Mario

what's more i'm totally in favour of exclusive games as they take better advantage of the tech and they focus on the set audience of the individual console and you don't end up with watered down results (in my opinion Nier is this generation's greatest mutliplat "victim")

and Nintendo should totally buy Platinum.

Agreed. Sony should definetly keep it or even up it if possible.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
sony with the final fantasy ip will be great

O....M...G. They would also own Deus Ex and Tomb Raider in that case.