By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Solution to Wii's low memory.

a 10gb usb drive for wii.....could make wii perfect!!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network

Playable SD would be okay, but I think it would be awesome if Wii supported any old USB hard drive. That's not likely to happen, though.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

SD cards have read speeds higher then the DVD drive's read speed in the Wii. I don't see the issue here, plus Nintendo has already paid for the updated SD card reader driver. The Write speed may be slow 2-6 MB/s but the read speeds are up near 12MB/s on average.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

sc94597 said:
catofellow said:
That is garbage that SD is too slow. Wii's free RAM is larger than all but the biggest N64 games. It's not like you would have to stream the game off your SD card, it could be loaded into RAM entirely.

Yes but the wii ware games are going to be significantly larger than n64. The one final fantasy game is suppose to be around 100-200mbs. It could seperate it into two different parts so the ram could stream both parts. The best thing imo is a usb hard drive because that allows for demo wii games. We could use both sd and usbhd. OH and i forgot to mention some neogeo games are larger than the wiis ram too. Plus you have to take some ram out for the gpu and cpu. 

I am not trying to state that there should never be a Hard Drive.  I am just making the point that there is no real technical limitation that should prevent me from playing Ice Hockey or even SM64 if I have it saved on my SD Card.  If the game was too large, it could simply give me an error instructing me to swap to system memory. 

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million