By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation 4 prediction

nnodley said:
JoeTheBro said:

Well these are more than predictions ;)

1. $450 basic, $550 with double memory and a month of PS+.

2. Backwards compatibility with digital PS3 games only through Gaikai. Other digital content can be locally played.

3. Controller has a central touch pad similar to Ouya. Coincidentally PS4 runs Android. Controller also breaks apart and has full motion sensing.

4. The controller has NFC.

5. Controller has traditionally placed analogs with convex tops.

6. PSEYE 3 is included. Has one camera, 1080x1920 at 30hz or 720x1280 at 60hz, and uses sound to calculate 3D depth.

7. Vita works flawlessly to replicate the Wii U experience. Only difference is it can also work over WiFi allowing full remote play.

8. Infamous 3 is a day one launch title.

9. PS4 can output 4K resolution during menus and content playback. Games are capped at 1080 until 4K TVs become more popular.

10. All games support 3D.

11. Looks similar to the PS2.

12. Can actively record screen output while you play. Also allows screen capture.

13. Games cost $60 still.

14. PSN stays free.

15. PS+ users can "loan" digital content to other PS+ users.

16. GUI is an upgraded version of LiveArea designed to work best with motion controls.

17. Almost all games have motion controls as an option. Of course a few require it.

18. Console is sold for a $160 loss at $450 and a $130 loss at $550.

19. PS4 releases September 17 in Japan and America. Europe gets a release two weeks later.

20. PS4 can be remotely operated by smart devices.

The only thing I don't know is when this information will be revealed or if it will change.

Those are some mighty big losses, I think.  Wouldn't it be suicide for sony to do a big loss again.  Didn't they lose well over $200 on the ps3 at launch.  What you suggest is not that far from the ps3 launch losses.  They can make up some of that money if they sell enough software, but I don't know how easy that will be. 

Calculating the loss per system is tricky. The $200 you heard for the PS3 is not equivalent to the $160 for the PS4 since my calculation includes costs outside of the components on a per system basis. In less fancy words, Sony losses less money if they sell more PS4s.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
nnodley said:
JoeTheBro said:

2. Backwards compatibility with digital PS3 games only through Gaikai. Other digital content can be locally played.

3. Controller has a central touch pad similar to Ouya. Coincidentally PS4 runs Android. Controller also breaks apart and has full motion sensing.

6. PSEYE 3 is included. Has one camera, 1080x1920 at 30hz or 720x1280 at 60hz, and uses sound to calculate 3D depth.

7. Vita works flawlessly to replicate the Wii U experience. Only difference is it can also work over WiFi allowing full remote play.

9. PS4 can output 4K resolution during menus and content playback. Games are capped at 1080 until 4K TVs become more popular.

12. Can actively record screen output while you play. Also allows screen capture.

14. PSN stays free.

16. GUI is an upgraded version of LiveArea designed to work best with motion controls.

17. Almost all games have motion controls as an option. Of course a few require it.

19. PS4 releases September 17 in Japan and America. Europe gets a release two weeks later.

The only thing I don't know is when this information will be revealed or if it will change.

Those are some mighty big losses, I think.  Wouldn't it be suicide for sony to do a big loss again.  Didn't they lose well over $200 on the ps3 at launch.  What you suggest is not that far from the ps3 launch losses.  They can make up some of that money if they sell enough software, but I don't know how easy that will be. 

Calculating the loss per system is tricky. The $200 you heard for the PS3 is not equivalent to the $160 for the PS4 since my calculation includes costs outside of the components on a per system basis. In less fancy words, Sony losses less money if they sell more PS4s.

Are you talking like R&D and shipping and stuff like that?

nnodley said:
JoeTheBro said:
nnodley said:
JoeTheBro said:

14. PSN stays free.

Are you talking like R&D and shipping and stuff like that?

R&D, shipping, advertising, even a bit of game development. On an actual just "what's in the box," I'd expect it to be a profit.

platformmaster918 said:
sepisfu said:
platformmaster918 said:
-Launches September 17 (wishful thinking)
-New GG IP at launch
-New SP IP launch window (by May 2014)
-Uncharted 4 launch window
-New MM IP launch window (they're the second most likely to stick with their IP so I could see a LBP3 at launch)
-Motostorm or Wipeout at launch
-$400 and $500 models (one has BC and a bigger HDD)
-PSN is free
-PS+ increases to $60 a year and offers Gaikai streaming for PS2 and PS1 games at launch
-4gb fast RAM and 1080p 60fps games. Allows for easy multitasking from menus and hopping on internet, downloading stuff, and listening to any music while playing a game
-New UI
-Basic controller with slightly larger design, actual triggers, and Vita d-pad
-PSmove 2 introduced as optional add-on with PSeye 3, very precise

if they increase the price of psn+ what whould happen to people who are already subscribed to the service

I guess once your current subscription ran out you would have to pay the new fee

the thing is my subscription ends in 2015

huh. Well I guess you're good for awhile then...or they just won't increase it.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
sepisfu said:
ganondorf7799 said:
I predict it won't be called Playstation 4

i don't think that would be a wise choice but you never know

The rumor right now is it will just be called Playstation and that the next MS console will just be called Xbox. I don't believe either rumor, but that's what people are saying.

kain_kusanagi said:
sepisfu said:
ganondorf7799 said:
I predict it won't be called Playstation 4

i don't think that would be a wise choice but you never know

The rumor right now is it will just be called Playstation and that the next MS console will just be called Xbox. I don't believe either rumor, but that's what people are saying.

I've heard that rumor about Xbox but not PlayStation. No one with information is thinking it would just be PlayStation.