By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD not standing by BR numbers ... interesting read ...

Last night, I was looking at Circuit City and BB ads and noticed something very, very interesting. With several HDTV purchases, the stores were GIVING AWAY BR players with the TVs, and they were being counted towards the BR sales total! I was gonna get up and comment on it last night, but BetaNews beat me to the punch.

A report from NPD Group claimed Blu-ray standalone player sales accounted for 93 percent of the high-def market for the week ending January 12, but NPD itself won't stand behind the numbers, saying they were leaked and that weekly sales data is not a long-term indicator.

According to Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis for NPD, the data "came from an NPD subscriber" and "wasn't approved for release from NPD." He added that the firm typically sees big fluctuations in sales volumes each week, and never makes long-term judgements based on weekly data.

Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/NPD_Free_Bluray_player_deals_led_to_boosted_sales_this_month/1201203983 

Around the Network

and the NPD jsut shows how untrustworthy they are..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

So NPD won't stand behind its own numbers, wow.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

I would believe this more if HD-DVD player sales hadn't precipitously dropped ALONG WITH the rise in BD player sales.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

NPD doesn't trust ... the NPD?

Around the Network

madskillz,
When they're selling a $2000 TV plus BR player I wouldn't exactly call it a give-away. If the TV used to be $2000 and the BR player used to be $400 it's a 17 % savings for the bundle.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

lol at NPD, they suck so much.

That article is a bit misleading. They never said they don't stand by that number, they just say it wasn't approved for release, which basically admits that the figures are legitimate.

Free or not, it's still another stand alone blu-ray player on the market (which is what matters) and worsens HD-DVD's chance of success (which officially died a few weeks ago anyhow)

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

DragonLord said:
Free or not, it's still another stand alone blu-ray player on the market (which is what matters) and worsens HD-DVD's chance of success (which officially died a few weeks ago anyhow)

u use that bolded word; i do not think it means what you think it means

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp