By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 4 will fail sales wise. Here is why...

I like the Dualshock; there's nothing wrong with it if you ask me. I think the only thing which could hurt its chances of success would be its price, but I've said this all along.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
I think Sony will do very well sales wise. Just look at the end of PS3`s generation: it`s selling more than anyone for one or two years. It had a bad start but it`s finishing really well and that momentum will carry on to the PS4.

So why didn't the PS2 momentum carry to the PS3, or the PSP to the Vita?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

kratos17 said:

IMO I think the ps4 and 720 will be neck n neck for first place and the wii u will be slightly behind.

But that's just me.

Thats actually probably right. But i think Wii U and ps4 will be neck and neck and 720 will be behind. Look at the 360. Everyone still wants an xbox 360 in america (and microsoft dominated america this gen) And not that many people are buying ps3's in Europe (sony territory) and not that many people are buying original wii's in japan (nintendo territory)

My point is that when the 720 comes out, people will just keep buying the 360 until a few years

But it could go either way.

LOOOL,

How does not changing the controller = sales failure. It will still have the number one thing which has traditionally sold new consoles. Next gen games+graphics. Maybe if microsoft come up with an ingenius control then we'll see sony's market share shrink even further but there is very little chance for the ps4 to be a failure. Better yet, since we be given a date, how about we just wait till 20th before concluding what the the console will/won't be.

Conegamer said:
DélioPT said:
I think Sony will do very well sales wise. Just look at the end of PS3`s generation: it`s selling more than anyone for one or two years. It had a bad start but it`s finishing really well and that momentum will carry on to the PS4.

So why didn't the PS2 momentum carry to the PS3, or the PSP to the Vita?

PS2 wasn`t just a core gamer`s console. A lot of casual people played just for FIFA, for example; people bought for the DVD player.

Sony also made some mistakes with PS3: the biggest one being the really high price that took a lot of time to go down to mass market levels.

Around the Network
RazorDragon said:
SxyxS said:
why fix something that does work?

I think this thread is pretty stupid.(especially because you ask for a new controller and sony already has the vita that can be used as a tablett,but not so volouminous and with modern touch screen)
A Nintendo fanboy should be able to realize that Nintendos current success is based on old boring tech and definitivly has nothing to do with innovation.I mean the zero innovative 3ds.Using old 3d screen tech from sharp and sony,
low tech hardware= psp style,analog slider/analog stick =psp,old DS design,low tech cam etc.
The 3ds success is based on:old zelda 64,the same old 3d/2d mario games and same old mario cart.

DS was innovative,wii was,3ds=zero innovation but max. success.Maybe Wii U sales will increase,not beceause but despite the tablett controller.Wii U will be saved by the good old old fashioned mario and link.

why should sony and ms innovate?to produce another wii u ?
pc gamers are using the mouse for 3 decades ,no need to change,the same with controllers.

Actually, I believe that what's gonna "save" Nintendo this gen is the Miiverse. It's just an awesome and great implemented idea, it just needs to be known by the general public. It's gonna be a hit when more people start knowing more about the system.

And, about the last part of your post, that's not true. PC gamers first used mechanical mouses, then optical mouses and, now, they use laser mouses. But that's not only it. Now we have laser mouses that go up to 8200 DPI, while a few years ago they went only to 5600 DPI! That's innovation there, friend. And change.

it is true-pc gamers still use mouses.the "mouse" controller is still used almost  the same way.Almost No innovation.

the hardware was improving but this is no innovation at all.the way the mouse is used is pretty much the same as decades ago.

the ds was innovative because it changed the way of gaming,the eyetoy was,the wii was innovative and the wii u is,but a better mouse performance is no innovation from a gamers point of view(from a technicians point of view it is as the blu ray is,but from a gamers point of view neither a blu ray(compared to dvd)nor a 8200dpi mouse(comp. to 5200)is innovative at all as technical progress does not automatically innovate gaming.

I actually think when it's all said and done, the WiiU gamepad could prove to be more revolutionary then the Wii remote. However that doesn't neccessarily mean the console will sell more.

Personally I don't really consider the Wii remote to be as big of a revolution as a lot of people claim it was. Yeah sure it was incredibly appealing for a lot of people. But how many games really benefited from it? I would actually say the N64 controller was more revolutionary as it introduced the analog stick which is now a standard across game controllers and is used across a huge number of games. A lot of the types of game we play today would suffer from the loss of the analog stick, but how many would suffer from the loss of motion control?

I also believe that it wasn't the Wii remote on it's own that was so appealing, it was Wii Sports. If instead of making Wii Sports, Nintendo had focused their resources on Metroid Prime 3, bundled that with the Wii and marketed it as "a new intuitive control scheme for shooting games", I imagine the Wii's sales would look very different.

That's what I believe the WiiU is missing right now. I think Touch controls and the dual screen setup has a lot more potential to improve the games we play. (Seriously i think touchscreens could very well be a standard for controllers in the future) But it doesn't have a game with as clear of a message as Wii Sports. Also I don't think the fact that the controller "looks complicated" is really an issue, because there's no reason why devs can't make casual games that only use the easy to understand touch screen.

So basically an innovative controller is all well and good. But unless it has a game that uses it in a way that will get the mass market saying "Oh that looks like something I'd be interested in", then it won't translate into sales. If instead Sony are able to provide that game for the PS4, with or without a new controller, then they will win.

P.S. Since we're on the subject of kicking

What a terrible excuse for why a console should fail

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Soleron said:
If anything, sales show the market does NOT reward innovation.

the iphone/smart phone saids hello. I disagree with your statement. 

This is a really vague opinion as to why it would fail. Do you forget the millions of fanboys that won't even consider trading in a PS# for an Xbox or Nintendo? How about the exclusives Sony offers? What about hardware enthusiasts who are only looking to buy the better console spec-wise? Japan and Europe is dominated by the Playstation brand, why would this trend change?

Wii U's sales are not what were expected and are critically lowed compared to ho much the Wii sold at the birth of the console, and the Wii U has the most novel controller ever created. I think maybe we should keep our guesses to ourselves until we actually see what each of the Big 3 has to offer.