By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony has less First Party Studios than Microsoft. 21 vs 15

Signalstar said:
Your list is missing Team Ico

They work for Japan studio.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NobleTeam360 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
can somebody explain to me the difference between first party and second party?

First Party - Completely owned by the platform holder 

Second Party - Usually a third party studio who has been contracted by the platform holder to work on a license owned by the platform holder 

Third Party - A game developed by an outside company based on their own original intellectual property 

The IP doesn't have to be owned by the platform holder to be a second party, the IP can be owned by the third party but contractually made solely for one console manufacturer. If they just hired a third party it would still be first party (The last Metroid for instance in tandem with Retro). Other than that you're spot on. ;)

Like Infinite Undiscovery IP is owned by MS but Square Enix was the one who made the game?

Thats third party. Square Enix got Tri-Ace to make it after Microsoft paid them for exclusivity. Tri Ace's games are published by Square Enix but they've never been owned by them.

ah ok that makes sense. 

It's a pretty interesting situation, one worth watching.

However, objectively speaking, I think the number of core games that will emerge from Microsoft's list of developers will still be quite a bit smaller than what we see from Sony's Worldwide Studios.

Many of Microsoft's new developers seem to be focused on the Kinect experience or media hub functionality. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing that Microsoft is ensuring that Kinect 2.0 will have good games rather than depending on third-parties for that, but I'm not convinced that many of those titles will resonate with the audience we have here.

Also, as has already been pointed out, several of the Sony studios work on more than one project at once. That makes this list a tad bit misleading in terms of total projects.

And, as the article states, Sony (and Nintendo) get Japanese games that have little chance of landing on the next Xbox, such as franchises from Atlus or Compile Heart.

Still, I think Microsoft will throw out some new core IPs next gen, and I imagine they'll be high quality. If they revamp Live to something I feel is acceptable, then they might be able to capture my attention.

Deyon said:
JayWood2010 said:

Go look it up each and every one of these studios yourself and tell me im wrong.  You sound ridiculous.  People on these forums know I wouldnt be falsifying information like this.  So either leave this thread or stop being childish and comment on something that is actually true

Show me the games they made than i'll believe you. Because i havent seen anything from those "studios" you mentiond.

It seems weird that they have that many studios but not many exclusives i can remember.

Wow, you dont seem to understand this do you?  They are working (Making) on games at this very moment.  They have been built recently>  They cant just release a game out of thin air.  

JayWood2010 said:
Deyon said:
JayWood2010 said:

Go look it up each and every one of these studios yourself and tell me im wrong.  You sound ridiculous.  People on these forums know I wouldnt be falsifying information like this.  So either leave this thread or stop being childish and comment on something that is actually true

Show me the games they made than i'll believe you. Because i havent seen anything from those "studios" you mentiond.

It seems weird that they have that many studios but not many exclusives i can remember.

Wow, you dont seem to understand this do you?  They are working (Making) on games at this very moment.  They have been built recently>  They cant just release a game out of thin air.  

yeah they aren't Nihilstic here!  They pumped out that awesome COD game in half a year!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
green_sky said:
DanneSandin said:

Now, Heavy Rain is too much of a movie to me; I'd much rather just watch an actual film instead, and GoW is just ridiculously gory and over the top for me to take seriously. I mean, come on - it's really silly to watch. They tried to make him too macho for my taste.

Fair points as i initially felt that way. Heavy Rain is more like choose your own adventure Goosebump books than a movie. There are many different endings and outcome. Whether you'll try to get them all or just be happy with a one you get depends on you. 

The character of Kratos was also quite repulsive to me. It is quite a different game when you watch someone playing it than when you actually play. It feels much more right given the context of the scenarios you are put into. He does questionable things and is no doubt an anti hero but the people he goes after are almost as manipulative as characters from mean girl and gossip girl. 

I felt the same about Wii Sports. What a silly little game as everyone was going crazy over it during Wii launch. Than i played it and had some genuine fun.

If I know someone who owns HR I'll try it; but I'm not gonna buy the game =)

To me it seems as if Kratos only would cater to 14 year old boys, but apparently quite a few people around here like him... I just find it so ridiculous how much blood is sprayed out of the enemies when Kratos crushes them. It's things like that that turns me off of the game. I do really enjoy Darksiders though, which is heavily inspired by GoW and Zelda - but it's not nearly as bloody from the trailers/footage I've seen of GoW.

I had never heard of Wii Sports before I played it in 2007, so I didn't have time to pass judgement before playing it... It was really really great ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft has had more studios than Sony for nearly two years now, they still aren't pumping out as many IP's.

They haven't released games yet either.  Depending on what kind of game they are working on, games can take anywhere from 1-6 years to develop.  in some cases like the Last Guardian 20 bajilion and a half -_- 

Werent most of the new IP's for Kinect and Xbox Live though??

We dont know yet.  Black Tusk Studios is working on a game from what they say is expected to be very big. (Compared it to Halo in terms of size)  Could just be hype but we know it is a big project.  Connected is working onsomething to with multiplayer but we dont know what.  They also help other studios.  Victoria and L.A which will probably reveal different names later like they did with black tusk studios and say what they are working on.  That is 4 studios that have a good chance to be working on core titles.  I dont know about the other ones though. Im sure Some of them will be focused on kinect though. 

...and yet Sony has 10 times more IPs...

pokoko said:
It's a pretty interesting situation, one worth watching.

However, objectively speaking, I think the number of core games that will emerge from Microsoft's list of developers will still be quite a bit smaller than what we see from Sony's Worldwide Studios.

Many of Microsoft's new developers seem to be focused on the Kinect experience or media hub functionality. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing that Microsoft is ensuring that Kinect 2.0 will have good games rather than depending on third-parties for that, but I'm not convinced that many of those titles will resonate with the audience we have here.

Also, as has already been pointed out, several of the Sony studios work on more than one project at once. That makes this list a tad bit misleading in terms of total projects.

And, as the article states, Sony (and Nintendo) get Japanese games that have little chance of landing on the next Xbox, such as franchises from Atlus or Compile Heart.

Still, I think Microsoft will throw out some new core IPs next gen, and I imagine they'll be high quality. If they revamp Live to something I feel is acceptable, then they might be able to capture my attention.

I agree I hope that we can maybe see the establishment of 2 or 3 new IP's that can help quite all the people saying MS doesn't have any exclusives. 

platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:

I didn't say I didn't admire Sony's effort of always giving us new IP's; I actually think that's a great thing they're doing, and more (perhaps most of all, Nintendo) should do it as well. And I have actually tried UC, GT, Twisted Metal and LBP. I'm not too interested in racing simulations and I prefer Super Mario over LBP, and Twisted Metal definitely isn't as good as it used to be. UC is something I really wanna play more of though!! And it's unfortunate you saying that Sly isn't as good as Mario (and implying that it's not as good as Jak either) since Thief's in Time has picked my interest =/

Now, Heavy Rain is too much of a movie to me; I'd much rather just watch an actual film instead, and GoW is just ridiculously gory and over the top for me to take seriously. I mean, come on - it's really silly to watch. They tried to make him too macho for my taste.

The boss fights in God of War are really hard when you play on higher difficulties (at least for me who never got into the hack and slash genre) so it's really satisfying to rip them apart and they always come up with the most appropriate way to do so for THAT specific character, which is why I don't mind the gore.  That and the scale is always epic while you're playing not just in cutscenes.  Heavy Rain really immerses you after the awkward tutorial stage and I've never found myself taking deep breaths after decisions or action scenes like in that game.  I was skeptical like you at first which is why I bought it when it was $30 but I'm getting Beyond at launch after seeing what it could do and the deep decision making that went into it.

I LOVE sly and have Thieves in Time pre-ordered I just don't view it as a top tier franchise.  The whole pressing circle to latch onto things never felt really smooth like climing in Uncharted, but it certainly has its charm and I'm looking forward to platinuming it.  I do like Jak and Ratchet better (2 of my favorite franchises of all time) but I simply put it below Mario because I just thought I would be run out of the internet for ever comparing Sly to Mario honestly.  But it's good to see a fellow admirer of the raccoon who isn't afraid to give him that honor.

I would encourage you to try Infamous if you haven't already it got lower scores than a lot of games as did Resistance 3 but all 3 of them are some of my favorite games this gen (R3 definitely my favorite shooter and I'm so mad at Sony for not marketing it better!)

Yeah,I've seen a few of the boss fights in GoW, and they DO look mighty impressive! But, I mean, if I just wanted the scale of things I might just as well get Shadow of the Colossus and skip all the hack'n'slash gore and get straight to the good parts ^^ When I get my hands on a PS3 I'll ask my friends if they have HR, then I'll give it a go - but I'm not buying the game =)

I've never played any of SOnys platformers (except for LBP) so I'd love to get some tip on which ones are good!

What kind of games are Infamous and Resistance?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.