By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: Nintendo Announces TLOZ: Echoes of Wisdom

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 2 66.67%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 1 33.33%

Total:3
zeldaring said:

Honestly  don't understand why this game doesn't have a great horse like Elden ring or GOT, traveling on foot is too slow. Horses and what ever you build controls are so sluggish.

Sprinting is plenty fast and it only takes a few seconds to charge the stamina bar back up. It's faster than building something then deal with the controls or use a horse with equally bad controls. It can be a bit annoying in Gerudo having to change clothes all the time including sand boots to walk at normal speed.

I'm in the lost woods now, pretty lame what they did to it but nice to see the koroks again. The only way in was to break one of my travel rules, looks like it will be the same for the way out although there is a dedicated 'exit'. Of course the master sword seems to be on the opposite end of the map, why not lol. Plus a shrine I've been trying to get to in the lost woods breaks one of the game's own rules. At least be consistent. But I guess I should expect it now since it did it before.

Anyway had to look up how to get to the 3rd shrine in the woods, the cryptic message was again misleading and the game lets you explore quite a bit (with constant fog wall resets) for no reason. The downfall of re-using the same map but not really having any ideas what to do with it...

Good to see the great Deku tree again, shame most of the magic of the lost woods has left the game. I assume I'll need to bring the master sword back to the tree once I grab it from the opposite end of the map, dunno when, onto the long term list. Not a corner I was planning to go back to any time soon. I did decide to turn in my korok seeds and blessings since I got another Demon King Bow. Don't need the hearts for health, but need em now for damage...

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
zeldaring said:

Honestly  don't understand why this game doesn't have a great horse like Elden ring or GOT, traveling on foot is too slow. Horses and what ever you build controls are so sluggish.

Sprinting is plenty fast and it only takes a few seconds to charge the stamina bar back up. It's faster than building something then deal with the controls or use a horse with equally bad controls. It can be a bit annoying in Gerudo having to change clothes all the time including sand boots to walk at normal speed.

I'm in the lost woods now, pretty lame what they did to it but nice to see the koroks again. The only way in was to break one of my travel rules, looks like it will be the same for the way out although there is a dedicated 'exit'. Of course the master sword seems to be on the opposite end of the map, why not lol. Plus a shrine I've been trying to get to in the lost woods breaks one of the game's own rules. At least be consistent. But I guess I should expect it now since it did it before.

Anyway had to look up how to get to the 3rd shrine in the woods, the cryptic message was again misleading and the game lets you explore quite a bit (with constant fog wall resets) for no reason. The downfall of re-using the same map but not really having any ideas what to do with it...

Good to see the great Deku tree again, shame most of the magic of the lost woods has left the game. I assume I'll need to bring the master sword back to the tree once I grab it from the opposite end of the map, dunno when, onto the long term list. Not a corner I was planning to go back to any time soon. I did decide to turn in my korok seeds and blessings since I got another Demon King Bow. Don't need the hearts for health, but need em now for damage...

I don't agree, sprinting just doesn't feel fast or right in a massive field. A great controlling horse like the one in Elden ring or GOT would be amazing.When you need them you are already galloping full speed in seconds. every open world game need great controlling horses or cars  depending on the time period.

zeldaring said:

I don't agree, sprinting just doesn't feel fast or right in a massive field. A great controlling horse like the one in Elden ring or GOT would be amazing.When you need them you are already galloping full speed in seconds. every open world game need great controlling horses or cars  depending on the time period.

I haven't played Elden Ring yet (and dunno what GOT stands for), I'll take your word for it having a good controlling horse. I haven't found a game yet where I opted to use the horse instead of just walking... Well RDR2 is kinda pointless to walk but horses had plenty issues, even had me make this compilation

SotC had a more intelligent horse that doesn't just run off cliffs or into trees. Actually the last time I enjoyed using a horse in a game. I start out using horses but always end up running instead. I tried horses in TotK (nice touch it actually has all your horses boarded from BotW!) but that didn't last long. Back to running.

SvennoJ said:

SotC had a more intelligent horse that doesn't just run off cliffs or into trees. Actually the last time I enjoyed using a horse in a game.

Honestly might be the only time for me. I mean, I've enjoyed horses in Zelda and other open-world games for a little bit, but they always start getting annoying after a while. Meanwhile after like a dozen playthroughs of SotC I still love Agro like it was the first day.

Y

SvennoJ said:
zeldaring said:

I haven't played Elden Ring yet (and dunno what GOT stands for), I'll take your word for it having a good controlling horse. I haven't found a game yet where I opted to use the horse instead of just walking... Well RDR2 is kinda pointless to walk but horses had plenty issues, even had me make this compilation

SotC had a more intelligent horse that doesn't just run off cliffs or into trees. Actually the last time I enjoyed using a horse in a game. I start out using horses but always end up running instead. I tried horses in TotK (nice touch it actually has all your horses boarded from BotW!) but that didn't last long. Back to running.

I was talking about ghosts of Tsushima the horses never run into trees and when you call them you can mount while running they run right next to you, extremely smooth and way better Then RDR2 horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq46Q8nGzik 

Around the Network

Horse driving is pretty bad in TOTK indeed. It was also bad in BOTW and I thought it would be fixed here

Elden Ring don't have the same detailed physic system which imo is what make horse driving so clunky in Zelda

zeldaring said:

I was talking about ghosts of Tsushima the horses never run into trees and when you call them you can mount while running they run right next to you, extremely smooth and way better Then RDR2 horses.

Ah yes, Ghost of Tsushima is one I did use the horse quite a bit. I start running call the horse and then get on while running if still far to go to the next poi. Yet on uneven terrain I ditch the horse again and run / climb myself. That's where horses are always inconvenient. But you can climb over a hill then call the horse again on the other side. I still ended up running most of the time, but indeed far better than RDR2.

Real horses are far more capable to get up and down hill sides (I've rode horses myself in the past through the forest) but not at full gallop of course and you need to shift your weight to help the horse balance. It's mostly weight shifts for steering anyway and outside they'll naturally follow paths. Hence SotC horse still feels the most realistic.

I ended up at the North Lomei maze last night. Sure it's the same as the other 2 (slightly rotated meh) but was still fun and since I had not triggered the sky tower yet no cheat mini map to show the maze :) The snow setting works with the maze, made it feel really isolated and ancient. As always the accelerated dive from the sky all the way to the depths through a narrow tunnel was very cool. Full evil spirit set collected, might come in handy once or twice. My standard outfit is climbing chest, attack trousers and stealth mask. Or rather I cycle the head piece for environmental needs.

I need to sell all the nostalgia armor pieces as it has become a chore to scroll through the wardrobe. Most used sort would be much appreciated in this menu as well. Sorting by set or type doesn't help at all when you're always mixing and matching based on current needs. Can't drop em either to insert them back at the end of the queue like with weapons. (Useful for custom sorting your weapons)

I checked how how you can fly, 3293 units high (I guess max is 4000, Link's feet are 7 units below the ceiling?)

You get stuck on the 'ceiling' which tilts my flyer to get stuck in this position, can't steer. I had to cancel and fall all the way back down. (Normally I press B and A quickly to drop a few 100 ft, descending in stages) Demon King bow is now 56 damage, the best I have, 27 hearts x 2.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Horse driving is pretty bad in TOTK indeed. It was also bad in BOTW and I thought it would be fixed here

Elden Ring don't have the same detailed physic system which imo is what make horse driving so clunky in Zelda

i don't think it has do anything with physics. vehicles, flying pads seem to have the same tank controls for some reason. 

SvennoJ said:
zeldaring said:

Ah yes, Ghost of Tsushima is one I did use the horse quite a bit. I start running call the horse and then get on while running if still far to go to the next poi. Yet on uneven terrain I ditch the horse again and run / climb myself. That's where horses are always inconvenient. But you can climb over a hill then call the horse again on the other side. I still ended up running most of the time, but indeed far better than RDR2.

Real horses are far more capable to get up and down hill sides (I've rode horses myself in the past through the forest) but not at full gallop of course and you need to shift your weight to help the horse balance. It's mostly weight shifts for steering anyway and outside they'll naturally follow paths. Hence SotC horse still feels the most realistic.

I ended up at the North Lomei maze last night. Sure it's the same as the other 2 (slightly rotated meh) but was still fun and since I had not triggered the sky tower yet no cheat mini map to show the maze :) The snow setting works with the maze, made it feel really isolated and ancient. As always the accelerated dive from the sky all the way to the depths through a narrow tunnel was very cool. Full evil spirit set collected, might come in handy once or twice. My standard outfit is climbing chest, attack trousers and stealth mask. Or rather I cycle the head piece for environmental needs.

I need to sell all the nostalgia armor pieces as it has become a chore to scroll through the wardrobe. Most used sort would be much appreciated in this menu as well. Sorting by set or type doesn't help at all when you're always mixing and matching based on current needs. Can't drop em either to insert them back at the end of the queue like with weapons. (Useful for custom sorting your weapons)

I checked how how you can fly, 3293 units high (I guess max is 4000, Link's feet are 7 units below the ceiling?)

You get stuck on the 'ceiling' which tilts my flyer to get stuck in this position, can't steer. I had to cancel and fall all the way back down. (Normally I press B and A quickly to drop a few 100 ft, descending in stages) Demon King bow is now 56 damage, the best I have, 27 hearts x 2.

The horse in Elden ring can double jump but those 2 were my favorite horses in gaming. To me be being on a horse  just feels way more immersive in huge open world and just gives me a real sense of adventure and that i'm traveling the world, and i need my horse to travel this massive world.

This opening  wouldn't be epic   with out link riding his horse.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 31 July 2023

zeldaring said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

i don't think it has do anything with physics. vehicles, flying pads seem to have the same tank controls for some reason. 

It might be the input delay. I notice a huge input delay when using the power menu to recall octorock rocks they throw. when you press it when they shoot it usually doesn't activate in time so you have to press the button already before they release. The controls are very sluggish in general, but not while running. Very odd. Hence I like running, feels most responsive.

But agreed, cut scenes and openings look far better while on a horse! I'm just not one to follow roads while exploring and pick up everything I see.