By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.85M Units & TotK Sells 20.61M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 7 24.14%

A Link to the Past 11 37.93%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 4 13.79%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 13.79%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 2 6.90%

Other 1 3.45%

Total:29

Spotted this Zelda art on Twitter and had to trace it backward to Reddit. Kudos to Reddit user rzybl. I put the original image on the right, for comparison

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/HyruleEngineering/comments/145g4ub/had_to_do_this/

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

[snip]

Anyway the depths have that "what's around the next corner" feeling that keeps me going. I'm rather dreading exploring Hyrule again, thus sticking to new (under)ground. Sure there are plenty differences in Hyrule compared to BotW, yet I already know what's behind the next hill / corner, which lessens the appeal of doing it all again just to spot the differences. Yet I do miss the shrines down here! However I'm mapping their locations as I explore the depths, will be easy to locate them once I finally emerge above ground :)

Hear, hear. I agree wholeheartedly with your take on the Depths. While I didn't dread my time with the surface area, it ended up being my least favorite of the three zones, or strata. The sense of discovery that came with the Sky Islands, and the feeling of danger and surprise that arrived with the Depths reminded me most about what I adored about Breath of the Wild.

On the surface area, I struggled more so in spots where I spent a lot of time in BotW: Kakariko, Hateno, Zora's Domain, etc. It just seemed too familiar, no matter the passage of time.

It's a wonder Nintendo was able to obscure the Depths from view until launch day. But I'm so glad the company did. Diving into a chasm and landing in that alien zone triggered a feeling not unlike leaving your cave in BotW and seeing the vastness of Hyrule for the first time.

SvennoJ said:

I finally see the advantage of the fuse system, basically a crutch for weapons breaking so quickly. I never got to use the elemental weapons in BotW as refusing to use fast travel meant picking them up on one side of the map to use on the other was simply not practical. Yet in TotK I can stock up on elemental monster parts and stick them on a weapon when needed. At least there is no limit in what you can carry for parts.

I got about 25% of the depths explored now, well maybe 20%. 18 light roots activated so far, currently in the south west corner. It's kinda repetitive with just enough 'new' things to discover to keep going. I'm finding plenty auto build schematics but don't really find any of the contraptions fun to use. I rather walk and glide lol. I use the balloon to get a good visual of the area, straight up is fine. Anything that moves always ends me up in the gloom lol. (Still only got the standard original battery, pretty useless with stuff using 3 or more Zonai devices)

Yeah, Fuse fixes somewhat BotW's durability problem - I've never been short on items to Fuse to weapons, regular or elemental, so you can discard them whenever you need and attach another, but unfortunately it still doesn't solve the problem of weapon breaking - especially if you're fond of some particular weapon for its bonus ability - and that weapon happens to be found only in certain region(s).

Depth were my favourite part - alas, only for a while. I don't find whole

Spoiler!
"Depth map is same as Main map, only upside down"

very clever design, they really should've studied how Underdark works in D&D, given they probably picked idea from that.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Isn't there a Shrine detection function on the Purah Pad?

Apparently there is, but I haven't done the task to get it yet

Found it. You have to talk to Robbie at Lookout Landing after doing the photography in the Depths quest.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Hear, hear. I agree wholeheartedly with your take on the Depths. While I didn't dread my time with the surface area, it ended up being my least favorite of the three zones, or strata. The sense of discovery that came with the Sky Islands, and the feeling of danger and surprise that arrived with the Depths reminded me most about what I adored about Breath of the Wild.

On the surface area, I struggled more so in spots where I spent a lot of time in BotW: Kakariko, Hateno, Zora's Domain, etc. It just seemed too familiar, no matter the passage of time.

It's a wonder Nintendo was able to obscure the Depths from view until launch day. But I'm so glad the company did. Diving into a chasm and landing in that alien zone triggered a feeling not unlike leaving your cave in BotW and seeing the vastness of Hyrule for the first time.

I didn't really like Great Sky Island, the starting place. The map overlaps itself, it needs a 3D map so you can see what's obscured on the map. Maybe other sky islands are more interesting with less overlapping stuff, I'll find out later.

Getting back on Hyrule felt all too familiar. I already tried to get down to the depths before getting the para glider but that proved rather difficult. (Wings despawn too soon before reaching the bottom) So I did the cartographer quest, the first tower thing and then used the first photographer quest to head down into the depths and haven't come back out yet. Exploring is the most fun part to me and I'm planning to explore the whole map before heading back up. I don't know if it's all connected, so far it seems to be. Plus playing in sudden death mode (everything levels up so most things can one hit kill me with only 4 hearts and no enhanced armor) adds to the danger. Best of all, no one begging me to find their lost cat down here :)

Yep, arriving in the Depths triggered that feeling of adventure BotW provided when leaving tutorial island. Yet even more mysterious as at first it's all dark, no clue how big it is until you set out and start throwing light seeds around.

HoloDust said:

Yeah, Fuse fixes somewhat BotW's durability problem - I've never been short on items to Fuse to weapons, regular or elemental, so you can discard them whenever you need and attach another, but unfortunately it still doesn't solve the problem of weapon breaking - especially if you're fond of some particular weapon for its bonus ability - and that weapon happens to be found only in certain region(s).

Depth were my favourite part - alas, only for a while. I don't find whole

Spoiler!
"Depth map is same as Main map, only upside down"

very clever design, they really should've studied how Underdark works in D&D, given they probably picked idea from that.

True, even the sturdy weapons break quite easily. At least there are plenty arrows and bomb flowers around. I thought a cannon fused to a shield would be useful but it hardly does any damage. I leave the mini bosses alone, they take far more resources than whatever the reward is for defeating them. The cost reward ratio is all wrong, a game shouldn't make me reconsider fighting bosses because I might run out of resources to carry on after... Go around, run away, not worth the time and resources imo.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

I leave the mini bosses alone, they take far more resources than whatever the reward is for defeating them. The cost reward ratio is all wrong, a game shouldn't make me reconsider fighting bosses because I might run out of resources to carry on after... Go around, run away, not worth the time and resources imo.

Yeah, they are mostly resource attrition and trick based, with only little skill. I killed my fair share of them, just to see what they're all about, but given that taking picture of them gives you idea what materials they drop (which is honestly pure nonsense, if you never fought them before), if you don't need something particular for armor upgrade, they're simply not worth it. And even that is questionable - I finished game with half the possible hearts, and only few armor upgrades. Did I mentioned already how easy this game is? Unless you make it intentionally difficult, like it seems you're doing currently...;)

The Yetee has been going pretty hard with Zelda shirts as of late. Here is the latest daily roster (there's a DK shirt in there, too):

You know, if it weren't for all of Ganon's minions infesting the Depths, and if all the Gloom down there was gone, the Depths would be a pretty nice place to visit. Sorry if I said that before.

CaptainExplosion said:

You know, if it weren't for all of Ganon's minions infesting the Depths, and if all the Gloom down there was gone, the Depths would be a pretty nice place to visit. Sorry if I said that before.

I immediately thought of this when I read your post :D

CaptainExplosion said:

I'm doing my best to clear out the place :p However I'm up to silver Moblins now. They are not more dangerous, (most can already one hit kill me and they're not faster nor do anything different) just bigger 'bullet sponges'. And still only 25% explored of the Depths. So far I've only found one gloom resistant item to cook with, wish it was more common.