By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet's appeal in Japan.

Probably not. New IPs don't seem to be doing so well in Japan nowadays.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

I honestly have no idea. It looks like the kind of thing they might like based on their buying history, but I've given up trying to understand Japanese gamers. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they like anymore.

Give them the option to make they're sack boy look like a Gundam and it'll sell >: ) ok that's so stereotypical I'm sorry :(

On a serious note, I think it could do well :P I've never played anthing like it on a console before, and the Japanese market usually flocks twards something different. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

@borkavhev

my thoughts exactly

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I think it'll appeal to them more then US gamers. I mean, it's a mostly non-violent inovative quirky game. That's 2-D a format that largely is regulated to handhelds now... which seems to be japans choice of gaming.

Around the Network
Borkachev said:
I honestly have no idea. It looks like the kind of thing they might like based on their buying history, but I've given up trying to understand Japanese gamers. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they like anymore.

Formula for a game to sell well in Japan...

Western-developed game for the 360: -6

For the 360: -2 

Western-developed game: -2

Eastern-developed game: +1

Anime-style game: +2

For the PS2: +2

Based upon an existing anime franchise: +3

Japanese-made RPG: +4

For the DS: +5

Casual or "non-gamer" game: +7

Based upon an existing, and previously popular, game franchise: +7

Has "Final Fantasy" or "Dragon Quest" in the name: +9

If a game has 10 or more points, it'll do well in Japan, guaranteed.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

ChronotriggerJM said:

Give them the option to make they're sack boy look like a Gundam and it'll sell >: ) ok that's so stereotypical I'm sorry :(

On a serious note, I think it could do well :P I've never played anthing like it on a console before, and the Japanese market usually flocks twards something different.

If you mean they go crazy for fashionable novelties, then I am inclined to agree; if you mean they favour innovative game designs, I am not sure the countless sequels and remakes that make up their weekly chart support your hypothesis.

Personally, I think LBP will do moderately well over there. Cute is cute, right? 

I think it could do well, but I'm not about to make any predictions about the Japanese market. Only FF, DQ, and Gundam are guaranteed to succeed over there.

Edit: five hours later, I realize I posted this in the wrong thread. oops.

How many new IPs have been successful in Japan on the PS3? It seems like the only games that sell there are proven franchises and even those are seeing their sales crippled. I imagine Japan won't give it a second glance.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"