By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGLeaks: Orbis unveiled!

I hope to see PS Orbis later this year on stores

Around the Network
paulrage2 said:
I hope to see PS Orbis later this year on stores

I will incredibly disappointed if both Orbis and Durango aren't on shelves by the end of the year. I wanted them out last November.

Zkuq said:
Chark said:
Zkuq said:
Is it 4 GB for both the system and the GPU or the system only? It's just barely enough if the former, but it's nowhere near enough it it's shared with the GPU.

For the system. How is that not enough? Are you thinking on PC terms because RAM is much more utilized in a console than in a PC. PS3 and 360 only have 512MB and Wii U has only 2GB.

I'm not thinking on PC terms, I'm thinking on future terms. Sony is probably aiming for a long generation again and if that's the case, 4 GB will be too little by the end. 512 MB is just barely enough for now but 256 MB (what PS3 has; the other 256 MB is for the GPU only) is not enough. Sure, talented devs will be able to put it to good use but it'll take a big effort and then you get stuff like Bethesda's games anyway. Also, as I understand it, you say that 4 GB isn't shared with the GPU but then I have a couple of questions: 1) Does it say somewhere how much memory the GPU has? 2) It says 'unified system memory' for RAM so, pardon my ignorance, what might it mean then?

Oops sorry, I mean for the whole system. Unified RAM would mean it is sharred with GPU and CPU but speculation has 512MB or 1GB reserved for the OS. There isn't a firm knowledge about how much RAM will be needed for games in the future, but if you look at a system like the Wii U which has 2GB, utilizing 1GB for games. Something like 3-3.5GB of GDDR5, which is faster, is quite the step up.

You might want to take the Durango rumors with some salt. They say 8GB of GDDR3 RAM, but dev kits typically have more RAM than the final product and it very well could get chopped down. They also suggest 3GB of that is part of the OS anyway. It really is anyone's guess what the final RAM specs will be, but we had plenty of people just last year speculating that 2GB to 4GB of RAM for Games is the target with anything else overkill because consoles optimize RAM. GDDR5, wasn't even part of the discussion then so it is really interesting to hear some of these rumors on PS4.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

djs said:
So, with those rumors so far, will Orbis be able to play 1080p at 60 fps or not?
These are too technical for me to follow. Someone could help.

Depends on the type of game.

Around the Network
HokageTenshi said:

Incredible PlayStation 4 Concept That Sony Could Draw Inspiration From

http://gamingbolt.com/incredible-playstation-4-concept-that-sony-could-take-inspiration-from

hope it doesn't look like this...

kumagawa said:

7870 with 46 FPS and 7850 with 40 FPS at 1920x1080 for Battlefield 3

http://techreport.com/review/22705/xfx-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-black-edition-graphics-cards/4

Crysis 2

http://techreport.com/review/22705/xfx-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-black-edition-graphics-cards/5

I have to read this article to see what the config because with only FXAA in 1920x1200 (bigger than 1080p)..

And with 4xMSAA

Edit - Seems like the CPU and AA config are differents.

Aielyn said:
 For the GPU, estimates for the Wii U put it somewhere in the 0.5-1.5 TFLOPS range. So lets say that the PS4, according to this leak, has somewhere between 1.3-3x the power of the Wii U, in terms of GPU.

The Wii U have a 400 GFLOPS GPU.

djs said:
So, with those rumors so far, will Orbis be able to play 1080p at 60 fps or not?
These are too technical for me to follow. Someone could help.

It can... in 3D.

Mostly games recent games this config can handle in 1600p (2560x1600).

HappySqurriel said:
Just looking at the specs of the APU demonstrates that this rumor is 100% BS ...

The A10-5800K (AMD's current top of the line APU) uses 100 Watts of power and is (roughly) 1/3 the processing power of this APU, so either Sony's processor will start fires or the rumor is crap.

You clearly didn't do your research very well did you. The A10-5800K is a 3.8GHz heavyweight that is basically a standard mid-high range PC CPU with a 7660 embedded and even the chip as a whole has 100W of TDP (which is not the same as power consumption by the way) but the ammount of heat to be dissipated.

A mobile GPU packing over 2 TFLOPS from AMD has a TDP of only 75W and a Jaguar CPU core consumes no more than 5W each. I doubt the system will be close to using even 200W as a whole. 

And just so you can compare the GPUs inside the PS3 and X360 used over 110W at launch... can't actually get a decent source but by 2005-2006 GPUs didn't go beyond 2 GFLOPS per watt, and the X360 and the PS3 packed 240 and 228 GFLOPS in their GPUs, respectively.

Oh, and that's four and then some times better than the GPU in the Wii-U. Roughly a Dreamcast versus Xbox difference. Deal with it.