By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3rd Quarter Results (Oct-Dec) - Profit of over 450 million US

Last year, contrary to popular opinion, from October to December of 2011, Nintendo posted profits of 250 million; doing so without the 3DS being profitable. Now, 3rd quarter has officially passed and whether Nintendo is profitable will be announced January 30th.

Furthermore, the yen has now been in their favour compared to previous quarters and will most likely positively impact their results.

What do you believe, will Nintendo be able to post profits this quarter regardless of the average launch of the Wii U?

EDIT:

Nintendo posts over 450 million profit US this quarter.

Nintendo has successfully offset the losses incurred during the last two quarters (over 300 million in losses) due to positive returns on 3DS and the yen being in their favour.

Nintendo has slashed Wii U hardware and software sales to 4 million and 16 million respectively

Nintendo has also slashed Wii hardware to 4 million

Nintendo DS software revision up to 33 million compared to 27

From Q1-Q3, Nintendo's total profit consists of over 150 million US.

EDIT:

One must calculate from previous reports in order to obtain profit from this quarter. Nintendo adds each quarter on their reports, read:

Net Income:

Q1 = (189.5 million)
Q2 = (118.4 million)
Q3 = 468 million
To date Q1-Q3 = 160 million

Around the Network

Nintendo should post a profit once again. With the 3DS and the Yen strong I think it should be around average. Nothing too crazy, of course. I don't think the Wii U helped in that factor.

Holiday sales quarter is almost always in black ink.

So yes, profits, from software sales.

Vinniegambini said:

Last year, contrary to popular opinion, from October to December of 2011, Nintendo posted profits of 250 million; doing so without the 3DS being profitable. Now, 3rd quarter has officially passed and whether Nintendo is profitable will be announced January 30th.

Furthermore, the yen has now been in their favour compared to previous quarters and will most likely positively impact their results.

What do you believe, will Nintendo be able to post profits this quarter regardless of the average launch of the Wii U?

On a side note, Nintendo is up by more than 5% in Japan today compared to Nikkei at .14%. It seems investors are anticipating a profit judging by the recent move.

Popular opinion is that a company dealing in consumer electronics should post a profit during the biggest retail season of the year.  Nintendo was only able to make 250 million with high 3DS, DS and Wii shipments and high software shipments.

This holiday season, the DS was heavily discounted and Wii had a price cut and total shipments are down 50-60%, along with ds and wii software.  3DS is flat year on year and no major releases in the west (and the 3DS and XL were heavily discounted) and the Wii U has been a debacle.  I will be surprised if Nintendo post any operating income this quarter (and that would only come because of favorable exchange rates, which I think will be a small catalyst)

I think it will make for some pretty grim reading; but not quite as bad as some here are expecting. A profit is almost certainly on the cards.

Will be interesting to see how close VGC is to Wii U sales, actually.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
I think it will make for some pretty grim reading; but not quite as bad as some here are expecting. A profit is almost certainly on the cards.

I don't expect them to be too far off. What are you expecting?

Whatever you do, don't look at Jan-Mar 2013 quarter when it comes out.

Too bad the investors will...

Vinniegambini said:

On a side note, Nintendo is up by more than 5% in Japan today compared to Nikkei at .14%. It seems investors are anticipating a profit judging by the recent move.

I'm guessing that you will be posting the numbers here? If so... I must keep this thread tagged!

NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:

I don't expect them to be too far off. What are you expecting?

I'm expecting 2.6-3mil shipped, but 2.25-2.35mil sold (shipped will always be much higher). So about right for VGC, perhaps slightly under.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

NintendoPie said:
Vinniegambini said:

I'm guessing that you will be posting the numbers here? If so... I must keep this thread tagged!

I will :)