By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to discontinue 80 GB ps3 according to Best Buy?

@tk1989

The difference between the 40GB and the 80GB/60GB without emotion is that the 40GB not only lacks the Emotion Engine available in the initial launch 20 and 60 SKUs but it also lacks the PS2's GS GPU which they included in Europe's 60GB and the 80GB SKUs. With the GS GPU they can do software PS2 emulation.

Since the 40GB doesn't even have that (one of the main reasons they were able to cut its costs down and get it down to $400) the software emulation will be a little trickier. That's why Sony still hasn't even stated officially that they will bring PS2 emulation to the 40 GB. We heard they recently hired programmers with BC experience so it seems they are trying to look into it but for now they aren't positive it can be done, or at least done well enough.

Around the Network

If Sony goes through with this I believe the PS2's demise is coming this year as I predicted. Sony is shifting all their focus toward PS3 development.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Considering 120+m already have a PS2, I don't think bc is mandatory, people can keep the PS2's they already own (or get one cheap like Grey points out).
But this constant changing of sku's is driving me crazy. Fortunately I don't think the average buyer is even aware of the difference beyond price(except maybe bc).

They might as well discontinue the 80gb, because most people just want a games machine and possibly the bonus of movies. I'd bet anything the 40gb outsells the 80gb by a huge factor. The target here just sold a 60gb that's been here since launch -- $500 is just way too expense for Johnny BestBuy.

interesting... i wonder where sony is gonna go from here.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

i think this is awesome have one sku like everyo SINGLE person wanted. (much complained about the different skus me it didnt matter cause ill buy the one thats best for me) so now people can stop whining and also this 400 dollar sku is in line with the xbox THREE different skus price wise. id like for it to come to to 350 but im just glad it came down to 400

Everyone hated that sony was forcing blu-ray now since it will be the standard everyone wants it and for 400 dollars its a steal.

davygee said:
The thing is. Although BC is very important for a vast majority of users and potential users of the PS3 at the moment. Once the system has been out for a couple of years and the list of great games grows, then wanting to play PS2 games on your PS3 will be a thought of the past.

Yes, people will want to play classic games in a year or two, but generally speaking when you want to do that now, you just pull out your old system and plug it in and play.

i agree i mean do any of you use 360 to play xbox 1 games? not a lot of people do because 360 has lots of games and ps3 and wii will also and then no one will use ps2 and GC games either.

The only reason the ps3 should be BC is because ps2 still outsells lots of other systems in hardware and software (whereas the GC and xbox 1 are completely dead). but that means the ps2 is still being made so go buy that one if you have to play ps2 games. im all for the ps3 price being dropped i love my ps3 and i love blu-ray so do what needs to be done sony!!!

Oy. Please stop doing this, Sony.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Well it makes sense i guess. They are probaly in the stage where they are shifting all focus on ps3 rather than both ps2 and 3. Also this is a good way for sony to make money from older ps2 games being put up on the psn store. With one SKU being produced maybe its possible sony can drop the price seeing as how rumors are flying around that the 40 gig ps3 is not selling at a loss. Just a theory.

Hmm, won't be surprising. They've done in EU and Japan it hasn't phased sales one bit.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.