By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo partner more with third-parties? Or should it try something else instead?

I just got a chance to actually watch this morning's Nintendo Direct, and when unveiling SMT x Fire Emblem Iwata said something that struck me. To paraphrase, he said that modern games are too labor intensive for Nintendo to make a reasonable amount of them for its systems on its own, so it has taken to partnering with other developers to create its own games.

Now, this is not completely new news. Metroid: Other M was largely developed by Tecmo, as was Nintendo's three Fatal Frame games. The next Smash Bros. game is mostly a Namco title. And heavens knows how much work Tose's put into how many of Nintendo's own first-party games. I believe Iwata even mentioned increasing the number of partnerships Nintendo would seek with third parties in prior years, although my impression then was that they were going to create deals like the one they apparently have with Platinum Games. However, it appears now that what Nintendo seeks to do is to co-develop titles, using its own teams as only part of the development squad and relying upon others to handle the remaining half.

My question is this: do you think this wise? On the plus side, I can see this as being a quick way to gain knowledge from other studio's talent, while simultaneously increasing the number of exclusive Nintendo titles and denying resources to competing platforms. On the other hand, it also means you are relying upon the works of others, whereas I believe recent history shows Nintendo may be better served by being more self-reliant. There is also the "danger" of Nintendo's culture being influenced by cross-pollination from its partners, thus weakening the "Nintendo DNA" that makes the company unique. I raise the last point primarily because Iwata has used that excuse to explain why Nintendo has not spent money to acquire new studios.

Personally, I think the new strategy beats trying to force more out of its current workforce, and has the additional advantage of letting some fresh air penetrate what appears to be a very insular community. But I believe a better move, especially going forward, would have been to use some of the warchest to expand Nintendo's own teams. Third-parties haven't exactly embraced the company in the past, and there are reports that younger developers at Nintendo feel that advancing within the company is too difficult because the older folks never seem to leave; creating new teams, headed by the more talented members of the younger generation, seems to me to take care of two problems at once.

What say you?

Around the Network

They've been collaborating with Japanese studios for 10 years now, so there's nothing really all that new going on.

GameCube-Era:

- Partnership with Sega and Namco to create TRIFORCE board, Sega makes F-Zero GX for GCN and Namco is put in charge of Star Fox Assault.

- Partnership with Squaresoft for Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with GBA-GCN link up.

- Partnership with Namco for PAC-MAN VS.

- Partnership with Konami to develop Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (by Nintendo 2nd party studio, Silicon Knights).

- Capcom 5/Resident Evil exclusivity deal.

You are correct, and there are some that predate even those (Think Mario RPG and Flagship, for example).

The difference is, those partnerships seem primarily to have been made to acquire third-party exclusives, or to acquire knowledge/talent that Nintendo felt it lacked. This is the first time I can recall them openly saying that they're doing this because they just can't develop enough games on their own anymore.

With the right partnership, it's definitely wise. Platinum Games and Atlus are fantastic developers.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Nintendo doesn't like giving away money that's how they roll.

Around the Network
Wander_ said:

Gotta spend money to make money! It's not like the extra manpower demanded for HD games should have come as a surprise to the company who warned that HD games took a lot of manpower...

noname2200 said:
Wander_ said:

Gotta spend money to make money! It's not like the extra manpower demanded for HD games should have come as a surprise to the company who warned that HD games took a lot of manpower...

Nintendo never really cared about 3rd party games they always gave them the finger.

Go for the 3rd party support.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

RolStoppable said:
I don't see what speaks against having collaborations with third parties and expanding the own workforce at the same time. The former improves Nintendo's image with selected third party companies while the latter improves Nintendo's ability to sustain their video game systems on their own, if worse comes to worst.

True, but that doesn't seem to be what they're attempting, at least not at the moment. Creating new studios takes time, after all, and the ideal point to get started would have been when they were preparing to launch their new systems. Judging from their financial reports, they HAVE acquired new offices, but those mostly seem to be so they can consolidate their current workforce, not expand it.

Wander_ said:
noname2200 said:
Wander_ said:

Nintendo never really cared about 3rd party games they always gave them the finger.

I...wouldn't go that far. But assuming that were accurate, wouldn't growing internally be more in line with what you're saying?