By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ bidding ends: Vigil's done, older IPs to be auctioned in a few weeks

noname2200 said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:
This is what happens to a great company that started to release casual games...

Query: What does "THQ" stand for?

So? How many lakes are there in Lakerland?

So it shows that you're theory is completely backwards.

Also, there are a thousand lakes in Lakerland.

It shows nothing, it's just a name. And it's not a theory, I stated the facts. THQ was a huge company, making great core games, including GotY candidates, that were giving profits. Then they decided to release a casual game and went bust because of that single stupid casual game. That's a fact, not a theory.

I mean lakes, not big puddles.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

It shows nothing, it's just a name. And it's not a theory, I stated the facts. THQ was a huge company, making great core games, including GotY candidates, that were giving profits. Then they decided to release a casual game and went bust because of that single stupid casual game. That's a fact, not a theory.

RolStoppable said:
Nooooo, what will happen to Tak now?

He Shall Rise Again!!!

Er, just as soon as someone ponies up for him at auction. I think we can buy the rights for $5.

noname2200 said:
Scisca said:

You think you're funny or something?

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:

Your argument would hold more weight it 1.) THQ hadn't built itself up to be the company that it was off of "casual" liscensed games (Disney and Nick for example.) and 2.) The fact that companies like Microsoft and Ubisoft still make great core games, but have had massive success in the casual market which actually allows them to fund more "core" experiences.

Around the Network
Spazzy_D said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:

Your argument would hold more weight it 1.) THQ hadn't built itself up to be the company that it was off of "casual" liscensed games (Disney and Nick for example.) and 2.) The fact that companies like Microsoft and Ubisoft still make great core games, but have had massive success in the casual market which actually allows them to fund more "core" experiences.

1) That's ancient history though, so doesn't matter in todays world. They haven't been making such games for years, until they decided to make uDraw...

2) What does MS or Ubi have to do with it? THQ went bust because they released a casual piece of crap called the uDraw. It's a fact nobody can argue with, THQ stated it themselves, so I have no idea what you are guys trying to argue about here. That game singlehandedly caused the company to go under, made so many people unemployed and most probably caused many franchises to die forever. They would have been fine had they continued doing what they were doing good - releasing great core games.

Scisca said:
Spazzy_D said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:

1) That's ancient history though, so doesn't matter in todays world. They haven't been making such games for years, until they decided to make uDraw...

2) What does MS or Ubi have to do with it? THQ went bust because they released a casual piece of crap called the uDraw. It's a fact nobody can argue with, THQ stated it themselves, so I have no idea what you are guys trying to argue about here. That game singlehandedly caused the company to go under, made so many people unemployed and most probably caused many franchises to die forever.

Check out the bold part.  I was pointing out that it didn't happen to all or even most companies that make casual games.  Also, THQ stopped focusing on liscensed games all the way back in 2011.  Ancient history indeed.

In anycase, U Draw was a bad idea becuase it was a bad idea, not becuase it was a casual device.

Scisca said:
Spazzy_D said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:

2) What does MS or Ubi have to do with it? THQ went bust because they released a casual piece of crap called the uDraw. It's a fact nobody can argue with, THQ stated it themselves, so I have no idea what you are guys trying to argue about here. That game singlehandedly caused the company to go under, made so many people unemployed and most probably caused many franchises to die forever. They would have been fine had they continued doing what they were doing good - releasing great core games.

You mean the same Udraw that sold more than Darksiders? And which one costed more to develop?

Let's also not forget how many studios (*Cough* Silicon Knights *Cough*) that have went under in the past ten years because they sunk way to much money into ultra hard core games and could not recoup the cost......and on the other side you have things like Guitar Hero and Skylanders, casual games that have kept companies a float.

Who else agrees Double Fine is the right one to purchase Destroy All Humans?
Hell, someone HAS to pick up this franchise.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse