By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Global Warming: How dire is the situation, or how much is it overhyped?

xstonexcold316x said:
Lafiel said:
all the various indicators we have point to global warming happening and to affecting us (as a species) a lot in the future, but there still is a chance for this warming leading to the next ice age

the warming is expected to negatively influence the termohaline circulation, which we see as the main driving force of the gulf stream - if the gulf stream gets weaker and doesn't reach up as far to the north anymore the whole norther hemnisphere will see a drastic cooling leading to an ice age

as a geologist I'm pretty curious if global warming results in a hot house climate or if it ends this interglacial we are living in

Very Interesting.. So which outcome would think would be more probable? And is it already slowing? because the Artic is shrinking i believe? or How would this process work?

well, considering the status quo of this age is a cycle of ~90,000 years of glacial periods with ~15,000 years of interglacials (by the way our interglacial started roughly 15,000 years ago) between them and has been going on for about 30 million years now(quarternary glaciation) with many many different CO2/CH4 concentration variations and temperature spikes of similar or bigger proportions than we see nowadays, I think the more probable outcome is the climate reverting to a glacial period

it's not uncommon for the temperature to actually spike up right before entering the next glacial

the main hypothesis for that resulting in a cooling is that fresh water from melting arctic ice/greenland ice shield might weaken the thermohaline circulation as it's very much dependend on "heavy salty and cool water" sinking down in the arctic ocean,  while fresh water isn't as heavy and can't sink as fast or might even not sink at all, which means the gulf stream (which is a warm surface stream) weakens as there is nothing to "pull" it

alternatively a very new hypothesis is that a higher general water level from missing arctic ice/glacial ice leads to the Bering Strait in the pacific ocean to widen by a lot meaning cool water streams might leak out and influence the (barely explored) pacific ocean streams in a way to initialise that drastic cooling which leads to a glacial

Around the Network
maximrace said:
It's going to be a big problem. Too bad most americans don't believe it ( thanks to the republicans). I wonder how the world would be today if Al Gore got elected

well aparrently not even al gore believes it.

seeing as though he has a multi-million dollar mansion built on a beach. which isnt a wise investment based off how much he claims sea levels are going to rise.

he has many many vehicles, uses more energy than 99% of people,

owns a private jet, flies around the world all the time. burns fuel like crazy, he uses fossil fuel like crazy.

then he sells he failed Tv channel to a company that makes billions from oil production.

On topic, global warming isnt a problem, never was, never will be. it wont effect us with any significance ever.

Chris Hu said:

Is Mt Fuji considered a super volcano?  I know the yellowstone park region contains several that are due to erupt in the near future.

Hmm good question I do not know the answer to it. I did read what makes it more dangerous this time is these two main reasons:

1. The pressure being like 1.6 megapascals, last eruption was 0.1 megapascals. This is due to the last earthquake in Japan which has increased that pressure. Apprently it was meant to blow in like 2011-12 but these things come with a 4 year error window.

2. They discovered it sits on a fault line. Meaning an earthquake on that fault line could potentially collapse Mt Fuji and then release all the lava. Not sure if a collapse would be a steady flow of lava or huge blow.

So not sure what it all exactly means but it will at least have an impact on their region and on gaming.

Scientist are divided on the causes of global warming but I think they all agree somethings happening.

My personal opinion is that it's just a natural course of nature. Apparently it happened before and man didn't cause it then so why blame man now.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure all the pollution we create isn't doing anyone much good.

Politicians get involve to raise yet another tax.

The earth is constantly under threat. There are super volcanoes long overdue an eruption, solar flares of the like never seen before predicted and earth quakes that are waiting to rumble.

That's life. These things happened before and will happen again in either our lifetime or the next or the next ...

No science is going to stop that.

Chris Hu said:

Is Mt Fuji considered a super volcano?  I know the yellowstone park region contains several that are due to erupt in the near future.

no, Mt Fuji is not a "supervolcano"

judging by the material found in it's region it's eruptions never passed VEI5, which is 100 times smaller than an eruption considered to be from a "supervolcano"

the only way to view it as a "supervolcano" is by the possible economic influences, as we all know it's located in a densely populated and economically highly important region and it's eruptions tend to be very explosive (as opposed to the Hawaii'en volcanos for example)

Around the Network

The average tempreture of the earth hasnt really risen since 1998. So that tell you its overhyped. Its a natural occurrence thst has happened many times before. Couple of hundred years ago the were vineyards around the part of the UK I live in. So that tells me that the tempreture was hotter hundreds of years ago when the was no man made carbon emmisions. (apart from camp fires which wouldnt make a tiny effect of the climate. So what caused this warm period. Answer the sun. It goes through cycles which effects our climate.

RedInker said:
The average tempreture of the earth hasnt really risen since 1998. So that tell you its overhyped. Its a natural occurrence thst has happened many times before. Couple of hundred years ago the were vineyards around the part of the UKI live in. So that tells me that the tempreture was hotter hundreds of years ago when the was no man made carbon emmisions. (apart from camp fires which wouldnt make a tiny effect of the climate. So what caused this warm period. Answer the sun. It goes through cycles which effects our climate.

yea, the sun goes through cycles - it just had the biggest mininum since the 16th century "little ice age"

maximrace said:
It's going to be a big problem. Too bad most americans don't believe it ( thanks to the republicans). I wonder how the world would be today if Al Gore got elected

No your wrong. A lot of americans believe it. And the ones that don't, or just dont know what to think such as myself, have done research and found a lot of contradicting articles. It hasn't been proven for a reason. To my knowledge it's still a theory. A theory that not all scientists agree upon.

How could I believe them if they don't believe themselves?

How do we know it's not just nature running its course? 

Heres an article that says we will be heading for a "mini ice age" as the next cycles peak due in 2022 will be very weak. So a prediction of global cooling. Start burning that oil guys its gonna get chilly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2093264/Forget-global-warming--Cycle-25-need-worry-NASA-scientists-right-Thames-freezing-again.html

I hate that climate change has become so much of a political issue/weapon. I have always trusted scientists over politicians when it comes to stuff that has to do with science, and while I don't much like things that are liberal/hippie, it has and never had anything to do with the facts and science of climate change as told by real scietists. Science is science.