By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't people get the Unreal Engine right?

I want to know why the hell after all these years on the market people cannot get the unreal engine to work right on the PS3. It sure as hell cannot be a power issue because this generations best looking games are PS3 first party titles. On a system with visual master pieces, such as Uncharted 2 and 3, Killzone 2 and 3 and God of War 3 why do third party games like DMC still lag behind.  I really am struggling to understand why after all these year 360 owners are still getting better versions of games. 

I love my PS3 and believe without a doubt that it is a superior system to the 360. Of course this is because I love free internet, blue rays, and awesome games (360 has great games too just not as many imo). The 360 is a fine system but it really pisses me off that companies seem unwilling to spend the energy and time to make third party games equal on all systems. 

Can someone tell me why after all these years companies cannot get the unreal engine to work right on the PS3?

Around the Network

Because it doesn't effect sales. Bayonetta had high criticism in the quality of PS3 vs 360 version. PS3 version outside 360 anyway.

cmeese47 said:

I want to know why the hell after all these years on the market people cannot get the unreal engine to work right on the PS3. It sure as hell cannot be a power issue because this generations best looking games are PS3 first party titles. On a system with visual master pieces, such as Uncharted 2 and 3, Killzone 2 and 3 and God of War 3 why do third party games like DMC still lag behind.  I really am struggling to understand why after all these year 360 owners are still getting better versions of games. 

I love my PS3 and believe without a doubt that it is a superior system to the 360. Of course this is because I love free internet, blue rays, and awesome games (360 has great games too just not as many imo). The 360 is a fine system but it really pisses me off that companies seem unwilling to spend the energy and time to make third party games equal on all systems. 

Can someone tell me why after all these years companies cannot get the unreal engine to work right on the PS3?

Possibly because Unreal Engine games sell better on X360 anyways, they take more time to optimize the 360 version. Also, wasn't it said already that it was the more difficult platform to program for? Value of marginal product and all.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

That is because Bayonetta was a Japanese style game that is always more popular on the PS3 one because 360 sells nothing in Japan and two because it is the kind of games long time PlayStation fans are accustomed to. I think that you are probably right that it does affect sales but that still seems like a cop out to me.

Unreal Engine 3 was designed to run first on PC and was later ported to Xbox 360 and PS3. The Xbox 360 is very much like a PC while the PS3 uses the Cell Processor which is not like a PC. Without getting too technical, what that means is that it is easier, faster, and cheaper to develop an Unreal Engine 3 game for PC and Xbox 360 than the PS3. The PS3 and the Xbox 360 are so close in power that it is a wash. The reason that Uncharted, God of War, and The Last of Us look so good is because Sony invested huge sums of money and put an enormous amount of effort into their 1st party graphics engines. That was not seen on Xbox 360 until Halo 4 which is on par with the best of what PS3 has to offer graphically. It's not that the PS3 has power to spare and 3rd party devs are too lazy to polish their games. It's that the PS3 is difficult to work with and unless Sony decided to hand out free samples of the the tricks they use in their 1st party games 3rd party devs have to work harder, longer, and spend more money on PS3 ports than PC/360.

Around the Network

Why is it cop out? contrary to popular belief it is not job of a 3rd party to max or push console. Its not mandatory. Look at last gen where every multi game was designed around ps2 regardless of specs of the other 2 . Just howit is. As long as its not broke it wont matter to general public or majority ofcore

The problem is, Unreal Engine just isn't very good for the PS3. That leaves developers scrambling to patch it up on their own, which might not be their expertise. That's why they licensed an outside engine for in the first place, after all.

I am just sick of seeing this happen over and over maybe I am just being bitter but it certainly discourages me from buying these games

cmeese47 said:

Its not perfect on the 360 either just play The Last Remnat.  I'm sure Lost Odyssey could have been better if they used a different engine besides Unreal 3.0 also.

Otakumegane said:
cmeese47 said:

Possibly because Unreal Engine games sell better on X360 anyways, they take more time to optimize the 360 version. Also, wasn't it said already that it was the more difficult platform to program for? Value of marginal product and all.

What about the Batman games, Mortal Kombat, DMC, Lollipop Chainsaw almost every none FPS game with Unreal 3 sells better on PS3 then on 360.