By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 12th January (updated with front page numbers)

Skeeuk said:

PS3 sold more than WiiU, DS, & Wii put together.......nice

Don't see what the point is of including two dead systems.

In the same vein I could point out that 3DS sold more than PS3, PSP, and PS2 put together.

Around the Network

I said this even before it launched. The Wii-U is going to be this generation's Gamecube. It'll finish a distant third and be widely ignored by the hard core gamer. Why? Because over the course of the Wii's lifespan, they spent too much time giving into the allure that is the casual market, a market that can't sustain itself. I'm sorry, but the Wii was a flash in the pan, a once in a life time bubble. The bubble popped, and there's no one left to want their product outside of Nintendo fans and there aren't nearly enough of those world wide to make a difference.

IMO, this gen is when the core rises again. I think we're going to see something similar to the DC,PS2,Xbox and Gamecube generation.

prayformojo said:

I said this even before it launched. The Wii-U is going to be this generation's Gamecube. It'll finish a distant third and be widely ignored by the hard core gamer. Why? Because over the course of the Wii's lifespan, they spent too much time giving into the allure that is the casual market, a market that can't sustain itself. I'm sorry, but the Wii was a flash in the pan, a once in a life time bubble. The bubble popped, and there's no one left to want their product outside of Nintendo fans and there aren't nearly enough of those world wide to make a difference.

IMO, this gen is when the core rises again. I think we're going to see something similar to the DC,PS2,Xbox and Gamecube generation.

I think the Casuals are still gonna play a huge role in gaming. Everyone wants something new and innovative. And it seems like each console next gen is going to offer something very innovative, while at the same time being different from eachother.

newwil7l said:
prayformojo said:

I think the Casuals are still gonna play a huge role in gaming. Everyone wants something new and innovative. And it seems like each console next gen is going to offer something very innovative, while at the same time being different from eachother.

I agree that casuals will play a huge part in gaming, but not console gaming. I think the Nintendogs and Wii Fit crowd have moved onto IOS and Facebook etc. which is, imo, why we saw such a mass exodus a few years back with regards to Wii. I think Nintendo completely underestimated the impact these other devices would have on their brand and didn't do a good enough job of insuring that core gamers stayed on board. They put all their eggs in one basket and now they're paying the price.

I don't see the END of Nintendo as we know it. I'm not stupid enough to go down the whole "doomed" rout, but I don't see this gen being very good for them. I think Nintendo fans will get what they want (Zelda,Metroid,Mario etc.), but outside of that, I see Nintendo sitting in the stands this time, watching the other two battling for first and second place. Should be interesting.

prayformojo said:

It's funny you bring up the DC/PS2/XB/GC generation, since the PS2 built its success on the very "casual" crowd you are trying to downplay. Its ticket into a lot of homes was its DVD compatibility.

But the PS2 was a flash in the pan. The casual market all moved on...... to the Wii. And now they'll move on to another next-gen console. Which will it be?

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
prayformojo said:

It's funny you bring up the DC/PS2/XB/GC generation, since the PS2 built its success on the very "casual" crowd you are trying to downplay. Its ticket into a lot of homes was its DVD compatibility.

But the PS2 was a flash in the pan. The casual market all moved on...... to the Wii. And now they'll move on to another next-gen console. Which will it be?

Do you know what the number one selling game on PS2 is? GTA SA (17 million copies). Not very casual, is it?