By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Development cost this gen and how it could affect gaming.

animegaming said:
aikohualda said:
i wonder what is the budget for angry birds XD

a buck 50

lol, but seriously a couple of thousands and their return of investment must be really huge huh

Around the Network

Thank you so much for posting this, very informative.

Here's one thing I need explained to me. Technology improves, yet the cost has gone down. For example, computers 30 years ago cost roughly equivalent of $4,000 in today's money. Yet, you can get something drastically better today for less than $1,000.

My (likely erroneous) thought process would be you could do more with less. For example, I would think you could make a 16 bit game now for less than 20 years ago. Now, over the course of a six-seven year generation I would think the cost of a launch game (all things equal) made at the end of a life cycle would be less. Yet, all I see is games going rapidly up and even games made retro cost more.

This is scary stuff to me. If Playstation 4 games cost so much I really struggle to see the industry viable in coming years. Would gamers accept a stagnation period? From sales on here it seems like people are starting to grow weary of current generation consoles.

The only path seems to be innovation, the hardest attribute to quantify. Bizarre, but after the strongest generation sales wise I do feel uneasy about the future.

Tagged.