By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Development cost this gen and how it could affect gaming.

Well, that's what all of us doomsayers have been saying for years. The rising dev costs are killing the companies. Nothing new here we didn't already know years ago.

What's interesting and, especially, alarming is Vivendi wanting to get rid of Activision-Blizzard. A company that has the biggest money-making machine in the videogames industry ever with WoW. They have Call of Duty; one of the biggest brands in gaming at the moment. In a macroeconomics we currently are, one might expect Vivendi wanting to be holding on to the company in every ways possible.

SvennoJ said:
That 7% marketing slice seems a bit low compared to the top examples.
COD4: 40-50mil production, 200mil marketing
Skyrim: 700 people of which 100 in marketing and 270 voice actors.

But as the hardware gets more powerful, the tools get more standardized and easier to use. More and more work will be automated and results can instantly be checked. There's no reason teams need to keep growing at the pace they have this gen.

There is. And it's because the games need to be released on schedule. If you want to keep your development time as is, you need more people working on them.

torok said:
Personally, I'm no afraid. We see a lot of people here defending simpler games and worse graphics to cut costs down. For me, the day we sacrifice technological advances and innovation to cut costs, is the day I will quit gaming.

We need better graphics, better physics, new gameplay mechanics and so on. The devs needs better tools, SDKs and engines and with that the world will keep going. Of course games are becoming more expensive to develop, but that is the natural evolution. Movies were made by a few hundred thousand at the beginning and now cost hundreds of millions and the film industry isn't going down because of that.

That day may be closer than you think. On PC we've seen it happening for a decade already, in the form of games not taking advantage of the specs in general, games being designed console specs in mind and PC games coming to consoles.

If you don't cut costs, you'll end up bankrupted. So, the end result is going to be the same anyway; you're going quit gaming. But for others, like me for example, cutting costs is a much more desirable option.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

freebs2 said:

green_sky said:

Yep. Came across the article some time ago. That is one big positive factor for Wii U as development costs would not be as high as 720/PS4/PC but for some reason developers have been ignoring it. Atleast for now they are.

Everyone loves graphics but they really end up harming the profit margins of a lot of games. Here's hoping the next generation doesn't go absolutely insane with power only. Graphics without good artistic design don't mean much.

Record number of developers have gone down in business this gen. Let's see what follows next. I am going to say a lot of big franchises will continue but mid tier franchises will suffer if they don't assess the market well and go against big games. Indies and downloadable games with thrive and improve in quality and sales.

That is explainable as a part of the business startegy of some major publisher, like EA. If you keep spending more and more on games, on one hand you may have lower margins, on the other hand you will cut out competition, you will cut out those who aren't just big enough to risk so much on a single game, and those who haven't got a cash-cow to milk (like FIFA or Madden) while investing in the lastest tecnologies.

True to an extent. Naturally they want to cut away the competition, and have been spending lots of money doing it, but the big guys aswell have been closing their studios (that doesn't fit the strategy).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

As a hardcore gamer I demand better graphics. Who cares if we and up having only CoD, Fifa and GTA to play if the trees look good?

Player2 said:

As a hardcore gamer I demand better graphics. Who cares if we and up having only CoD, Fifa and GTA to play if the trees look good?

That is true!.. if the games doesnt have better graphics it means it wont be fun! 

aikohualda said:
i wonder what is the budget for angry birds XD

a buck 50

Around the Network

how the hell did max payne 3 cost so much? can anybody explain why its budget was so high?

Player2 said:

My favorite post in a long time :)

^The game was delayed by 1,5 years, so I'd bet they redid quite alot of the game, which could explain the cost.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

A lot of people bring indie games, and as much as I love me some indie games I don't want every new IP to come from them. I personally want a new AAA IP (that isn't a FPS), unfortunately if the cost keep growing the chance for this to happen are very slim next gen.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
I really want to see the Halo 4 budget and stuff.

Couldn't find any official statement from MS other than it's their most expensive game to date. But everything points out to $100m+ (Not sure if that includes marketing)

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/67113-halo-4-breaks-the-bank

Nintendo and PC gamer