By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happened to JRPGs and will the Genre ever dominate again?

Will JRPGs ever rise in popularity?

Yes they just had a rough generation 34 29.57%

No they are a thing of the past 27 23.48%

Maybe really depends on h... 54 46.96%

Total:115
F0X said:
JRPGs have an image issue. The mainstream audience view them as boring and generic, which is a frightening disparity with reality. :/

as far as characters and plot structures, they generally are pretty generic.  However, in setting and artistic design they are incredibly imaginative.  Just depends on what you focus on...

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
think-man said:
I hope they come back to there former glory! this gen has been total shit when it comes to JRPGs.

The Lost Odyssey was very good. It had everything that made Final Fantasy good during the hight of Squaresoft's success.

BTW, you might be interested in this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/pier-solar-hd-an-rpg-for-xbox360-pc-mac-linux-and

I'm getting the Dreamcast version, but there are current gen versions as well.

Pier solar looks amazing! i'll probably get the PC version, sucks they aren't making a PS3 version :(

Edit: I found this on there page so there is still hope :D - WM Team

P.S we might just have our eyes on PS3...who knows? :D

spurgeonryan said:
I never really understoodthe difference between a jrpg and rpg. What is a wrpg?

In a nutshell, and with gross oversimplification:

JRPGs tend to be more linear and less choice-driven. All the characters are their own individuals, and you just happen to be playing through a pre-set story. Think of it as being a more interactive movie.

WRPGs tend to be more about individual choices, with your player character in particular often being a blank slate. The original ones were modelled after tabletop RPGs, and tended to have the freedom to go along with that.

There are also generally a host of differences in how they approach their underlying mechanics, inventory systems, and quest structures. For example, WRPGs will often have you directly putting points into attributes like Strength and other points into skills like Fire Spells, where JRPGs tend to be more automated in that regard. Of course, remember what I said about this being extremely reductionist: that can't be emphasized enough. Especially as WRPGs are trying to become more cinematic, with resulting increase in linearity.

An interesting note here

9 of the top 10 selling RPGS for the PS2 were JRPGs

Only 2 of the best selling RPGS on the PS3 are JRPG and both of them are Final Fantasy

It seems they still do well on handheld devices. They went were the audience buys them, which is on handhelds in Japan. If you want the genre to come back to HD consoles then support Ni No Kuni. Show there is still a market for them in the west.

It also didn't help that MS tied up some jrpg exclusives on a console with a fan base that wasn't really interested in jrpgs at the start of its life cycle.

Around the Network

Wait until Persona 5 at the end of this year. It will be the ultimate swan song of the current gen consoles and alone bring back JRPGs to their previous glory.

gergroy said:
Max King of the Wild said:
gergroy said:
Max King of the Wild said:
I like the simplified JRPGs, I liked wild arms on playstation. Earth Bound on nes. Final fantasy VII and VIII on playstation. I played for the story not game play. When they started all this realtime action nonsense or ridiculous overcomplicated stats and stuffs is when i fell out of liking them.

final fantasy VIII was simplified??? did we play the same game??

Very much so.  Please remind me what was over complicated about it. The summons were easy that I remember along with collecting them and powering them up. The card game was stupid but easy for the most part. Only thing was the weapon building but it was a lot simplier than most now where you need build three things to get the components for 1 weapon. JRPG I played this gen was Disgea 3 which i hated and FF13/2. I played FF12 and 10 last gen and really didn't enjoy those along with Valkeria Persona (I believe that was the name)

how about the spell synch crap to your stats.  its been a while since i played VIII so I can't go into specific details, I just remember pretty much everything about the character build was ridiculous.  

I honestly don't remember what you are talking about. Maybe if you can provide an image of the leveling system then i'd remember. I remember the bullshit thing about the leveling was that the bosses and monsters leveled up with the characters so if you had trouble with a boss you couldn't grind

In every generation before when RPG was said, that meant Japan. The only competition Japan had was themselves. This is why it was easy for games like .hack// and other niche jrpgs to get face time. Not the case anymore. Japan has not adjusted to competition from the western..stuff.. and just in general this generation. They dont get that the free pass they had in being market leaders in previous gens no longer exist. It also does not help that when they do develop jrpg's its usually for a specific small market. JRPG's popularity is diminishing because Japan is letting it.

Another interesting number

Combined JRPG sales of titles over 1 million last gen

45.93 million

Combined sales of JRPG titles over 1 million current gen

11.26 million

Massive decline

JRPG's are boring in my opinion,I played the demo of ni no kuni and granted I really really wanted to like it but the turn battles are just horribly boring. If jrpgs implemented battle systems like kingdom hearts, ill be fine with them