By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 'Crysis 3' not coming to Wii U due to lack of "business drive"

flagstaad said:
I think Activision is doing a great job of supporting the console, they had CoD BO2 ready for launch, they had Skylanders, 007 Legends, Wipeout 3, a port of Transformers Prime, and are working on a port of Amazin Spiderman. Yes they don't have a lot of great games out there, but almost everything they put on the other consoles they also made or ported to the Wii U.

Activision was one of the best supporters of the Wii and I think they will continue with the Wii U.

Activision supported in terms of volume, but not in terms of quality. The absence of Modern Warfare on Wii at first release is a good demonstration of that - the fact that Activision couldn't even be bothered telling Infinity Ward to make a single game for the Wii emphasises it further. Keep in mind that Activision owns Infinity Ward, so if Activision said "make a Wii version", IW would have had to do so.

The only part of Activision that truly cared about the Wii was Treyarch (and maybe, MAYBE, Vicarious Visions) - and I see that continuing with the Wii U, at this point. In other cases, where Activision did put games on the Wii, they almost always had a different developer handle the Wii version. That Wii versions did as well as they did is testament to how much potential the Wii actually had.

And there were a lot of other titles that Activision released for PS3 and 360, but not Wii, too. For instance, Blur, Wolfenstein, Prototype, Singularity, 007 Blood Stone (DS got a version, Wii didn't), Transformers: War for Cybertron, Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, and Angry Birds Trilogy. And many other games, Activision did such a poor job of advertising the existence of Wii versions, I didn't even know of them, despite being an avid Wii gamer. Most notably, almost all Call of Duty titles after World at War.

Meanwhile, Activision's three announced 2013 games are all set for release on PS3 and 360, but not Wii U.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

I would almost argue based on the current performance of only 1million units each on PS3 and 360, a better business decision would be to make the franchise Wii U exclusive as their is no competition for the game there unlike on the hd twins which have halo, killzone, COD, resistance etc.. If they released the full trilogy it could grow with Nintendo's help. Sureit is a huge risk but a risk worth taking. If it doesnt grow then nothing lost as they would simply port C3 to the other systems.

But Nintendo has not yet blazed that trail, so it cannot be done.

Aielyn said:

so.

The only part of Activision that truly cared about the Wii was Treyarch (and maybe, MAYBE, Vicarious Visions)

Why the qualifier re: VV?

Given Black Ops 2 sales, it probably couldn't be justified from a revenue perspective.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Given Black Ops 2 sales, it probably couldn't be justified from a revenue perspective.

Not sure I completely agree, especially if you take the long view. First, I doubt a port would fail to break even after a few tens of thousands of units sold: if I'm wrong, then Nintendo completely dropped the ball in its strategy.* Second, there's a lot of value in getting your foot in the door early. The 360 and PS3 are going to get replaced, and soon. They're not going to host huge sellers in their first year or two either. With that in mind...

*As an aside, this would amuse me to no end.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

So many people have said this in countless threads.

Rather then make a generic statement how about you say what your expectations are for a console that just launched with a user base of what about 1.5million (Japan excluded as they don't buy COD anyway)?

Factor in that it is also a late port and most would already own the game on PS3/360. So to me 160K sold to 1.5million WiiU owners is a approx 10% tie ratio.

Now tell me this when the PS4 and nextbox launches at the same time the next COD is due out, shoudl Activision not support the system as there is "not enough users" from a revenue perspective.

Mazty said:
KHlover said:
Mazty said:
Aielyn said:
Mazty said:
Companies aren't people; they don't get "mad" at one another. One thing drives companies - money. Simply put, there are not enough users of the Wii U to warrant making a port.

I've said it before, but some seem to have trouble comprehending it...

A company that looks at the current install base and judges their decisions based purely on that is backwards-thinking and on their way to bankruptcy. Companies must look at future potential, competition, and potential fanbase. Games sell on systems because developers and publishers develop fanbases on those systems. It is not enough to just throw a game at a system with a high install base, you have to make people want your games on the system. And the argument of "there's no interest in the game on that system" is just as ludicrous, because lack of interest comes from lack of support, not the other way around.

In short, if any company thinks the way you do, then they're going to get decimated by the next generation.

Meanwhile, we know they were already working on the port, that porting games to Wii U is relatively cheap, and that there aren't that many shooting games on the Wii U, while the PS3 and 360 have a glut of them to compete against. EA have proven time and again that they don't actually understand gaming, and that's why the only way they ever make a profit is by buying out successful developers... who, after a few years, end up becoming crap, at which point EA has to buy out more developers. Fortunate for Crytek that they're just partners with EA, not owned by them.

That's rediculous. A company looks at a market of 140+ million consoles. The Wii U isn't even 2% of that market. It simply isn't profitable to make the exact same game for the Wii U as it is for the PS3 and 360. Also they probably realise that if someone wants Crysis 2, they already own either a PS3 or 360, and therefore developing for the Wii U isn't profitable. 

We've yet to see any future potential from the Wii U - where is it's PGR3? Until it truly defines itself as an 8th gen console and sets itself apart from the 360/PS3, it will be directly compared to the 360/PS3 in everyway - customers, potential, lifespan. 

freebs2 said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:
EA is still mad at Nintendo? Way to go -_-

lolwut

Companies aren't people; they don't get "mad" at one another. One thing drives companies - money. Simply put, there are not enough users of the Wii U to warrant making a port. 

lolwut

I'd like to see if EA will ever decide to renounce porting a new game on Ps4/Xbox3 beacuse there aren't enough users on of them.

If the PS4/Nextbox show proper 8th gen potential, then actually we may see very little ports to them as publishers will realise that if someone has a nextbox, they probably already own a 360. This was not the case with the Xbox or GC due to much lower install bases, therefore it was quite reasonable to presume someone with a 360/PS3 may not actually have another console. 

KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:
EA is still mad at Nintendo? Way to go -_-

lolwut

If so, why does Google block GMaps on Windows Phone? Why does Samsung stop producing new chips for Apple? Companies are still led by people and thus CAN be mad at each other.

It's called market competition.....Google blocks a popular service in order to boost android sales. Samsung stops producing chips to increase Galaxy sales. This is basic economic competition and absolutely nothing to do with anger. 

Yeah, Apple suing Samsung over 1bn had nothing to do with it...

*facepalm*
Apple is the MAIN COMPETITOR TO SAMSUNG. Being able to screw your competition out of $1,000,000,000 seems a worthwhile move. Companies don't get moody - they are not humans. Why on earth are people humanising companies?

yeah right, have you not read Steve Job's biography?  He was fighting with people all the time and yes they make decisions off of their emotions.  It affects business, the book talks about it quite a bit

Cobretti2 said:
mrstickball said:

So many people have said this in countless threads.

Rather then make a generic statement how about you say what your expectations are for a console that just launched with a user base of what about 1.5million (Japan excluded as they don't buy COD anyway)?

Factor in that it is also a late port and most would already own the game on PS3/360. So to me 160K sold to 1.5million WiiU owners is a approx 10% tie ratio.

Now tell me this when the PS4 and nextbox launches at the same time the next COD is due out, shoudl Activision not support the system as there is "not enough users" from a revenue perspective.

Call of Duty 2 sold almost twice as many units first week on the X360 as Black Ops 2 has in ~2 months on the WiiU. Add in the fact that DLC will likely arrive to a very lukewarm reception on the platform (for lack of significant HDD space), and its not a very rosy picture.

You can make all of the excuses you like for the WiiU, but when your top selling 3rd party game has sold 350,000 units in 2 months, with those following at 160k among three titles, you aren't making a very good case for publishers to latch on to your platform with core titles. Especially when the console is (allegedly) not meeting sales expectations.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Euphoria14 said:
Mr Khan said:
Euphoria14 said:
KylieDog said:
Black Ops II on WiiU has only managed 160k, Crysis isn't anywhere near as popular.

There is no money to be made from it. Pretty simple.

Now I wonder why this post was ignored?

This is the truth people. Porting it to WiiU in 2013 makes no business sense. Plain and simple.

Those resources are better placed elsewhere.

Because the people who are quoting straight sales numbers are cherry-picking their logic.

Then prove him wrong and show why it is a worthwhile investment.

I don't buy this whole "They are being meanies because of Origin".

The game is releasing in 2 1-1/2 months and the game barely even sold over 1M on each PS3 and 360. By the time the game would release the WiiU would maybe have a 3-3.5M userbase. What kind of numbers would they have sold if it came out on WiiU? Even if they begin porting it now, what kind of sales would that investment bring with a possible 1+ year late port?

Plain and simple, it makes no sense. That's all there is.

EA's money is better spend on other projects.

making a port cannot be that expensive, I'm actually curious if anyone knows the ball park figure here.  Publishers also need to think about branding their ip's even if it doesn't do breakthrough numbers on a particular console.

crysis 2 on the xbox 360 1.19mill
'' ''ps3 1.10mill
crysis 3 will probably do something like 1.5mill on each if it's lucky, so imagine what the number might be on wii U, they might not even break the 250k if they release it

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.