By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's up with the Wii U in Japan? Where are the third party games? (Hint: Nowhere)

Will Wii U get more support than the Wii in Japan?

Asolutely, 3rd parties ar... 75 21.01%

Probably, Nintendo alread... 117 32.77%

Not so sure, It all depen... 52 14.57%

Unlikely, none of the big... 53 14.85%

No way, 3rd parties will ... 60 16.81%

Total:357

Situation is unbearable. No company in Japan besides Nintendo is producing Wii U games. This is a dead console walking. I have never seen something like this. Not even 1 company is risking itself by making a single Wii U game.

I'm not exaggerating when I say NO company. the Fiscal Year results will be a bloodbath

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Japanese publishers are, for the most part, unambitious. Some still haven't switched from the PSP to the Vita. They resisted helping to build up a new market and instead went with the sure thing, despite how short-sighted that is. It wasn't until it became clear that Vita owners are buying up software at a high rate compared to its installed base, when games like Demon Gaze and Senran Kagura sold well, that other developers dived in.

You'd think the larger Japanese publishers would realize that they have an important responsibility to build markets for the future but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The Wii U also carries the burden of the prevalent belief that only certain genres will perform well on a Nintendo home console and that the core Nintendo fan will buy Nintendo-branded games but not much else, outside of a few popular franchises.

Absolutely. They waving the white flag right now. 

Its not a priority for them. :(

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

trestres said:
Situation is unbearable. No company in Japan besides Nintendo is producing Wii U games. This is a dead console walking. I have never seen something like this. Not even 1 company is risking itself by making a single Wii U game.

I'm not exaggerating when I say NO company. the Fiscal Year results will be a bloodbath

I do not believe that is entirelty truth, however I agree that the situation is far from healty. It seems like Nintendo was anticipating this kind of output and thought the best idea was to create small eshop games in between their big games. That along with their collaborations and the unexpected/safebet third parties titles are just as much as we can expect from it. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

menx64 said:
trestres said:

I do not believe that is entirelty truth, however I agree that the situation is far from healty. It seems like Nintendo was anticipating this kind of output and thought the best idea was to create small eshop games in between their big games. That along with their collaborations and the unexpected/safebet third parties titles are just as much as we can expect from it. 

Unfortunately, it's entirely true. No company has made any WiiU exclusive game since launch and there's been none announced to come (Taiko I believe was the sole game). There's not safebet third party stuff, there's basically no games from them. MHFG is not a game you would count as support, Yakuza HD isn't either. Neither is a late Tekken Tag Tournament port or Tank Tank Tank.

Other than that it's been ports. Nothing more. And nothing else will come. I expect dreadful things and results during the FY End Investor's meeting.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
menx64 said:
trestres said:

Unfortunately, it's entirely true. No company has made any WiiU exclusive game since launch and there's been none announced to come (Taiko I believe was the sole game). There's not safebet third party stuff, there's basically no games from them. MHFG is not a game you would count as support, Yakuza HD isn't either. Neither is a late Tekken Tag Tournament port or Tank Tank Tank.

Other than that it's been ports. Nothing more. And nothing else will come. I expect dreadful things and results during the FY End Investor's meeting.

oh that part I agree. WiiU exclisuves are not going to happen very often, maybe another Taiko game, fatal frame (even though this is kind of second party now) and that's about it. I am expecting though that at least some multiplats will be relased this year. Since I am not expecting Fifa to come to the wiiU this year, maybe Konami will jump this year, capcom and someof it figthers games, maybe some level 5 game (besides wonderflick), gunh ho (marvelous)...

besides that it'll be just nintendo and their collaboration titles. I hope they have many of them planned for the next years.

About the investors meeting it all depends, I believe nintendo will make a decent profit this year, wiiu numbers are going to be terrible but the 3ds + what the wii and ds are still selling might mitigate their wiiu output.

Investment in China may keep investors happy and help to soften the blow.

Menx64

menx64 said:
trestres said:
menx64 said:
trestres said:

oh that part I agree. WiiU exclisuves are not going to happen very often, maybe another Taiko game, fatal frame (even though this is kind of second party now) and that's about it. I am expecting though that at least some multiplats will be relased this year. Since I am not expecting Fifa to come to the wiiU this year, maybe Konami will jump this year, capcom and someof it figthers games, maybe some level 5 game (besides wonderflick), gunh ho (marvelous)...

besides that it'll be just nintendo and their collaboration titles. I hope they have many of them planned for the next years.

About the investors meeting it all depends, I believe nintendo will make a decent profit this year, wiiu numbers are going to be terrible but the 3ds + what the wii and ds are still selling might mitigate their wiiu output.

I think masking the terrible Wii U numbers is virtually impossible. Q1 will be a nightmare for the Board of Directors. 3 months waiting for the KO kick.
Gonna be entertaining but sad.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
menx64 said:
trestres said:
menx64 said:
trestres said:

I think masking the terrible Wii U numbers is virtually impossible. Q1 will be a nightmare for the Board of Directors. 3 months waiting for the KO kick.
Gonna be entertaining but sad.

Do you really believe Iwata is getting fired? I do not see that happening unless nintendo losses money again this FY. They will not match their expectations that I agree, but Nintendo is probably going to make a henfy profit this FY. The Yen is still high, and that should help offset most of the wiiU losses.

Menx64