By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U to dominate & PS4 to fall behind - Jan. 2013

James_ said:
ninjablade said:
James_ said:
ninjablade said:

720 has a much better chance then the wii u, where its a huge failure in the uk and will probably be a failure in the usa.

I don't think so, Nintendo has more famous franchises than Sony and adds to it the fact that Wii used to be pre-judged by its graphics not so good as PS3. Now the Wii U will not have this problem.

franchises are not more famouse then sony's, if that was the case why did'nt n64 and gamecube outsell ps and ps2, and wii u will be competing with 720 and ps4 and it will get blown out of the water interms of graphics, people need to understand the motion tech is the only thing that sold the wii, not the games.

Truth, motion tech was one of the reasons that sold Wii around the world, but, i think now it's time to focus at the games, because people already know motion tech, so it won't be a big new how was at Nintendo Wii, and after in Xbox with Kinnect. Even PS4 will have a better motion technology, it won't be the best thing at the next gen, no way. And of course that games sold Wii, It has great games, MH, Fire emblem, Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and others. About PS and PS2, that time Sony used to make games from the same kind of Nintendo, so they were big rivals at the games.

If someone used to like RPG and adventure games, he wouldn't know where buy it.

Because of Nintendos family status and toy/gimmick-like stigma ove,r the past 25+ years Nintendo doesnt even have the attention of the majority of third parties in the west. Win or lose Nintendo is secondary to most devs and serious gamers after 1995. I put up a post about it. Nintendo is late to a dance Microsoft and Sony are almost finished dancing. When next gen comes the physics, graphics and memory demands will be beyond the WIi U leading third parties to alienate Nintendo. I expect a great JRPG to be created off of the back of the Wii U so when I get mine I will enjoy it, just not now when theres no games.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild 1 hour ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
Sony didn't expand the market, the market expanded as people grew up. People that grew up with Nintendos and Segas were now adults and would buy games as adults while there were a whole new batch of kids coming up and playing games. Older people were slow to adapt to games but those that grew up with them loved them and continued to play them. What Sony did do that Nintendo didn't was make a game system that looked adult and was fine to have in a grown-ups living room. It was also affordable and appealed to the mass market. In the 7th gen, Nintendo switched things up and made the most adult-oriented system and sold it at a good price. Sony went the opposite direction and sold and expensive machine that only the most dedicated tech-heads would spend $600 to buy. The term 'casuals' as a group is stupid. It's the mass-market that makes an industry leader, and those people want something that is sylish, trendy and affordable. They want games like Mario, WiiSports, GTA and COD. Sony milked them, Nintendo milked them and now MS has gotten a good chunck of them more recently. Who will get them and what it will take to get them in the coming years is TBD.

the wii didn't expand the market, the market expanded as people grew up.

You seem to have quoted the wrong person. I didn't say Wii expanded the market.

S.T.A.G.E. 1 hour ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
Sony didn't expand the market, the market expanded as people grew up. People that grew up with Nintendos and Segas were now adults and would buy games as adults while there were a whole new batch of kids coming up and playing games. Older people were slow to adapt to games but those that grew up with them loved them and continued to play them. What Sony did do that Nintendo didn't was make a game system that looked adult and was fine to have in a grown-ups living room. It was also affordable and appealed to the mass market. In the 7th gen, Nintendo switched things up and made the most adult-oriented system and sold it at a good price. Sony went the opposite direction and sold and expensive machine that only the most dedicated tech-heads would spend $600 to buy. The term 'casuals' as a group is stupid. It's the mass-market that makes an industry leader, and those people want something that is sylish, trendy and affordable. They want games like Mario, WiiSports, GTA and COD. Sony milked them, Nintendo milked them and now MS has gotten a good chunck of them more recently. Who will get them and what it will take to get them in the coming years is TBD.

Before Sony joined the gaming industry the market was at 90 million. When Sony joined it was 190 million+ and rose over the 200 million mark with the gen after that.

I'm aware the market grew, what I'm saying is non-gamers didn't start playing games as adults because of Sony.  I knew lots of people who bought a PS1 when I was in university, but those people had all grown up playing Mario or Sonic.  They chose a PS1 because it was more adult-looking and if people laughed at them for having a kids toy they could say it was also a CD player. But the market grows as new kids are exposed to games and grow into game playing adults, who continue playing. Some adults get converted to by the Playstations and Wiis of gaming, but most gamers start gaming as kids.  Also, your numbers are wrong.  Pre-sony was about 80million. After PS1 it was about 145mil, without factoring multi-system owners.

Although it`s too soon to speak of the new generation, seeing as nothing is known about PS4 and Xbox720, i believe that the one that might have a tougher fight is MS.
MS played well it`s cards with Xbox 360: first HD machine on the market and taking online to a new level. These were two of the things that made Xbox 360 relevant whereas Xbox couldn`t make a difference.
But the third card - specially when taking the MS vs Sony into context - is that being first on the market made the Xbox 360 console of choice for the new games and for multiplatform purposes... with an year all too itself.

So now, Wii U has probably an entire year too itself. And with that i see Wii U becoming the platform of choice to develop multiplatform games; Miiverse has taken online interaction to a new level; The Gamepad - even if copied - it`s still a Wii U innovation and will be recognized at that.
MS was right on going with Kinect and not a Wiimote. Look what a different device brought them!
If X720 and PS4 don`t bring anything different they will appear to lack innovation and won`t differentiate themselves from the competition.

In terms of games, software does make the difference. Ànd there`s one game in particular that really sold Xbox 360s and PS3s: Call of Duty.
Call of Duty became the game that every kind of gamer could pick and play.
Things is, come November, what console is prepared to give the so much loved online play? Wii U, Xbox 720 or PS4? Which one will have the biggest userbase and could that mean that the fanbase could shift in Wii U`s favor?
Call of Duty games haven`t been through a generation change. What will become?

Will shooter keep on going to be the most prolific genre this time too or will a different genre rise in popularity? Could that help change fortunes to one single console? Shooters did help Xbox 360... a lot!

Overall, my guess is Wii U will come out on top in Japan and the States, but Europe will be a tough fight with PS4. The PS brand is still pretty strong. Maybe, in this economic climate, the cheaper Wii U will make a BIG difference.
To me, Wii U will win the States above Xbox720 simply because the recent, so to speak, success of Xbox 360 comes mainly from Kinect and even Kinect`s effect is wavering. And it`s not a better product that in essence does the same thing as Kinect 1.0 that is going to entice the casual market again.

TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 1 hour ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

Before Sony joined the gaming industry the market was at 90 million. When Sony joined it was 190 million+ and rose over the 200 million mark with the gen after that.

I'm aware the market grew, what I'm saying is non-gamers didn't start playing games as adults because of Sony.  I knew lots of people who bought a PS1 when I was in university, but those people had all grown up playing Mario or Sonic.  They chose a PS1 because it was more adult-looking and if people laughed at them for having a kids toy they could say it was also a CD player. But the market grows as new kids are exposed to games and grow into game playing adults, who continue playing. Some adults get converted to by the Playstations and Wiis of gaming, but most gamers start gaming as kids.  Also, your numbers are wrong.  Pre-sony was about 80million. After PS1 it was about 145mil, without factoring multi-system owners.

The Genesis sold around 40 million before production stopped and the SNES sold 50 million. Sony's audience are mainly 30 year old adult males, where as nintendos audience is composed of males/females of all whom are young and the minority whom are serious gamers that were older. If you dont factor in multisystem owners then the Xbox is probably sitting on 62 million in sales as we speak because of RROD. People repurchased multiple 360's because of RROD and Microsoft profitted off of that. Multiple console owners count as well because they chose with their dollar to represent shares in various areas of the market rather than one.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. 4 hours ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 1 hour ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

I'm aware the market grew, what I'm saying is non-gamers didn't start playing games as adults because of Sony. I knew lots of people who bought a PS1 when I was in university, but those people had all grown up playing Mario or Sonic. They chose a PS1 because it was more adult-looking and if people laughed at them for having a kids toy they could say it was also a CD player. But the market grows as new kids are exposed to games and grow into game playing adults, who continue playing. Some adults get converted to by the Playstations and Wiis of gaming, but most gamers start gaming as kids. Also, your numbers are wrong. Pre-sony was about 80million. After PS1 it was about 145mil, without factoring multi-system owners.

The Genesis sold around 40 million before production stopped and the SNES sold 50 million. Sony's audience are mainly 30 year old adult males, where as nintendos audience is composed of males/females of all whom are young and the minority whom are serious gamers that were older. If you dont factor in multisystem owners then the Xbox is probably sitting on 62 million in sales as we speak because of RROD. People repurchased multiple 360's because of RROD and Microsoft profitted off of that. Multiple console owners count as well because they chose with their dollar to represent shares in various areas of the market rather than one.

Nothing that you have said here is factual or supported by statistics.

TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 4 hours ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 1 hour ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

I'm aware the market grew, what I'm saying is non-gamers didn't start playing games as adults because of Sony. I knew lots of people who bought a PS1 when I was in university, but those people had all grown up playing Mario or Sonic. They chose a PS1 because it was more adult-looking and if people laughed at them for having a kids toy they could say it was also a CD player. But the market grows as new kids are exposed to games and grow into game playing adults, who continue playing. Some adults get converted to by the Playstations and Wiis of gaming, but most gamers start gaming as kids. Also, your numbers are wrong. Pre-sony was about 80million. After PS1 it was about 145mil, without factoring multi-system owners.

I just checked and the stats I read on the genesis were wrong. I checked IGN and the Genesis sold 29 million. Aside form that I've already read about the demographics. 

S.T.A.G.E. 35 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 4 hours ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 1 hour ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

I just checked and the stats I read on the genesis were wrong. I checked IGN and the Genesis sold 29 million. Aside form that I've already read about the demographics.

Nope, the rest is wrong too.

psrock said:

Take a deep breath. No..........MS dominates the UK, NA and still loses yearly. Its been 4 straight years...

But still 2nd place. 2010 and 2012 is controversal since MS did outship PS3 but w/e.

Head starts will determine the winners next gen.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 35 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 4 hours ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. 1 hour ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

Nope, the rest is wrong too.

Nielsen age breakdown and usage: PS3 has the oldest dedicated audience, the Wii had the largest group of people playing it and had a elevated level of older females using the platform.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/19/nielsen-wii-audience-is-youngest-ps3-audience-is-oldest/

Also to deny repurchase of the 360 after RROD is stupidity. RROD affected nearly half of the Xbox 360 userbase at one time. Some repurchased and others used the three year extended warranty multiple times to remedy the situation.