By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the best FPS series of all time in your opinion?

Tagged games:

COVER ME!

Doom 12 5.69%

Wolfenstein 2 0.95%

Halo 69 32.70%

Killzone 26 12.32%

Resistance 2 0.95%

Quake 7 3.32%

Timesplitters 11 5.21%

Farcry 3 1.42%

Half Life 57 27.01%

Call of Duty 22 10.43%

Total:211

Only 8 for Timesplitters? Comeonsteppitup

Around the Network

Halo. Like others have said it really revoloutionized the FPS genre. It also has a kick ass storyline unmatched by any other FPS.

Halo, I didn't like FPS games all that much till I played CE at a friends house.

Halo.

Half Life.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
Halo. Like others have said it really revoloutionized the FPS genre. It also has a kick ass storyline unmatched by any other FPS.

I think you mean popularized on consoles instead of revolutionized.
Compare Half-Life to what came before it (Doom/Quake clones) to what came before Halo.

Bioshock is my single favorite FPS game, but regarding series I'll have to play Infinite first since Bioshock 2 was nothing special for me. And I really don't consider Metroid Prime a FPS or that series would be right up there as well.

Out of the poll choices I'd say either Half Life or Halo, followed by COD.

Deus ex... If it counts.

Im going 2 go with Doom. Wolfenstein was the first but Doom was the one that amped it up and got people 2 pay attention 2 FPS games, and its a game you can still pick up and play 2day and have a blast with.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

SangheliZealotX said:
pokoko said:
SangheliZealotX said:
Halo, it invented or revolutionized so many things, way more than any of these series and more than almost every series in gaming.

Like what, for example?  A quick run-down of the major points would be nice.

Regenerating health(used in 95% of modern games in every genre)

Console online mmultiplayer 

two gun system

seperate Melee button

auto aim

modern first person control scheme

console user generated content, theater system

the survival of the Xbox brand

those are just the things it heavily influenced or created, halo is also pretty much responsible for the success of console shooters, halo wasn't the first console FPS but it was the first that could rival pc shooters. For being responsible for the rise of FPS halo is indirectly responsible for the rise of western game development(Japanese dominated before 2001 because westerners are best and making shooters and those weren't popular) it also popularized wide open environments over small corridors and it revolutionized shooter storytelling. Halo also turned gaming into a blockbuster industry, halo 3 was the first game to become the largest entertainment launch of all time, games didn't have huge hyped up launches that could beat movies before halo, halo did the same thing to games that Star Wars did to movies. There are many other ways I could talk about halos influence but I think that's enough for now. There are very few game series I can think of that have had that much influence on gaming.

Ahem.....http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/92-83/