By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

Kynes said:
I don't get why the people who probably won't ever buy a XBox are the most vocal against live gold. MS has made tons of money on gold suscriptions during the last 10 years. I don't think they will change this the next generation, they will want to keep the income source. If you don't want to pay for live, do as I did, don't buy a MS console, there are alternatives.

There are alternatives. But when you like the exclusives, there are not many others consoles to go to...

People just don't have the choice but to pay more to have access to the features on the disc they already paid for. I have a "profound distaste" for that practice on a principle levl. In the end, MS hold their gamers by the nuts. 

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Kynes said:
I don't get why the people who probably won't ever buy a XBox are the most vocal against live gold. MS has made tons of money on gold suscriptions during the last 10 years. I don't think they will change this the next generation, they will want to keep the income source. If you don't want to pay for live, do as I did, don't buy a MS console, there are alternatives.

There are alternatives. But when you like the exclusives, there are not many others consoles to go to...

People just don't have the choice but to pay more to have access to the features on the disc they already paid for. I have a "profound distaste" for that practice on a principle levl. In the end, MS hold their gamers by the nuts. 

There are other exclusives in other consoles or the PC. You are not obliged to play Halo or Forza, you have other games you can spend your time playing.

Euphoria14 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Euphoria14 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
This is very true, very true. The term exploiting has been used many times before, and other companies like Activision have followed in Microsofts footsteps with a yearly subscription for upgrades as well. Huge fans of Activisions and Microsofts FPS titles probably give $160 to them in a given year.

What does CoD Elite do for you?

I ask this because I bought Black Ops 2 at launch and was the first CoD I bought since CoD4 and everytime we had "Elite" members playing they simply wiped the floor with everyone and it didn't take me long before I traded it into Gamestop and put it towards the 3DS I recently picked up.

CoD online can be damn frustrating. Fun as hell when playing with my friends, but we didn't play enough to warrant me keeping it.

I heard that anyone can get Elite now. I doubt it failed to make a profit but Activision is bloody greedy, so they saw it as a failure being a premium product. I got COD recently, so I might upgrade. They claim they dropped the price to make everything"fair". I call bull because they wanted to dig their hands further into their gamers (especially the ones on Xbox Live). 

Heres the synopsis Elite and what it has to offer:

http://www.1up.com/news/call-of-duty-elite-costs-49-per-year

I guess that means I just sucked huh?

COD isnt really a hard game, you just need to know the map and the spawn points. Compared to Halo COD is spray and pray, but I still use controlled bursts. Its like a twitch A.D.D. shooter. First to the correct burst wins.

I just have to say that I pay for my internet home subscription 12x more than I have to pay for Live and so for my 3G conection.

So, stop being crying babies.

There are no rule that multiplay have to be free. It´s such a unimportant issue that not Sony neither Nintendo (even Valve or EA Origens) market their produte.

VGKing said:
What's the use in complaining? There are millions and millions of Xbox Live subscribers that are happy to pay for it. They know there are alternatives out there, but they just ignore them.

...Or they go where their friends go. If the friends switch, they switch. This could spell out a quarter of Xbox Lives current numbers.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:
How origional....sigh

All MS has to do is adopt a PS Plus approach.

I hope they do this. And I think there are others like me who simply rejected the 360 as a result of Gold. If the nextbox adopts the Sony approach, they will expand even more in popularity IMO.

No.  

XBL has a premium service and market compared to the ps3 since it concentrates in the first world.  Therefore, they will provide a somewhat higher end product, as xbl is just better.  If it makes money then nothing else matters.

dallas said:

No.  

XBL has a premium service and market compared to the ps3 since it concentrates in the first world.  Therefore, they will provide a somewhat higher end product, as xbl is just better.  If it makes money then nothing else matters.

Maybe you can address this because someone else could not. (I don't care to address the subjectivity involved in your post)

I want you to address locking multiplayer content. I'm sure the entire XBLG service is great, but multiplayer content should be separated from it as that has next to nothing to do with MS and everything to do with the devs themselves that created that content.

Dark_Feanor said:
I just have to say that I pay for my internet home subscription 12x more than I have to pay for Live and so for my 3G conection.

There are no rule that multiplay have to be free. It´s such a unimportant issue that not Sony neither Nintendo (even Valve or EA Origens) market their produte.

Theres no rule about multiplayer gaming having to have a price tag. I mean its not like the multiplayer is on the disc you purchased. Multiplayer was/is a service subsidized by the publisher and furnished by the full price you paid for their game. Microsoft flipped the script and tried to do it to the PC gamers as well. Microsoft dropped the cost of Live on PC and of course console gamers didnt know they had been had, so Microsoft will keep doing it. All gamers can do is wait until next gen and weigh the only pros and cons of the next Playstation and Xbox to tell the difference.

Dark_Feanor said:

It's not that people can't pay the fee, its the principle of the thing. Basic online multiplayer is free on Wii U/PS3/PC. I'd say that is as close as it gets to there being a "rule" about it being free. I keep seeing articles/threads about this every single week and people will start to reconsider next-gen as they realize that these other platforms offer nearly identical services for free.

dsgrue3 said:

dallas said:

No.  

Maybe you can address this because someone else could not. (I don't care to address the subjectivity involved in your post)

I want you to address locking multiplayer content. I'm sure the entire XBLG service is great, but multiplayer content should be separated from it as that has next to nothing to do with MS and everything to do with the devs themselves that created that content.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people has been giving reasons already and has been telling you why including me.  Don't understand why you keep asking the same question.  Either you will agree or disagree with this article, but it's still not going to change a thing.  You know I could just as easily create a thread to generate flame wars, and then keep it a live by responding to everybody I don't agree with.