By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - When you think about it, Scientifically we really dont know anything.......

In terms of the Scientific method.  We have very little factual proof of anything.  You hear things thrown around like their facts and that we "know things".

But when you use the scientific method you quickly realize its almost all hypothesis and theories.

Even basic things.  We dont actually even know what the center of the Earthis made of.  Sure weve got some good ideas but we dont actually know.

I just thought it was interesting how we don't really know anything......like seriously we dont know anything about the universe as much as some scientists will try to convince you they do.

Around the Network

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

I agree though, there are far too many theories being thrown around as fact.

There is one thing we know for sure: the fact that we don't know anything...except the one thing we know for sure.

I know I'm the coolest! Scientific fact sucka!

I've long thought this but the thing that made me make the thread was when I was reading about the sun.

They kept talking about how the center of the sun was 27 million degrees. Thats nice and all and they might be right but we dont actually KNOW THAT for a FACT. We have never stuck a thermomenter in the center of the sun and read its temperature.

Theres millions of things scientists throw around as fact that arent actually proven. They are all based on theories and guesses. Which is fine but at least say "we think" or "its our best guess".

Around the Network

Knowing that you don't know most of what is knowable is a humbling thing. I learned this from a science teacher in middle school and ever since I always take new scientific "facts" with a grain of salt the size of the Rock of Gibraltar.

That's why I find it so frustrating when someone tries to use science to disprove the existence of God. Science has yet to fully explain gravity and yet some will argue that science has anything to do with that which exists outside of of physical universe that we know.

Theories and models are great and help us wrap our heads around concepts bigger than us, but theories and models they remain.

BenVTrigger said:

In terms of the Scientific method.  We have very little factual proof of anything.  You hear things thrown around like their facts and that we "know things".

But when you use the scientific method you quickly realize its almost all hypothesis and theories.

Even basic things.  We dont actually even know what the center of the Earthis made of.  Sure weve got some good ideas but we dont actually know.

I just thought it was interesting how we don't really know anything......like seriously we dont know anything about the universe as much as some scientists will try to convince you they do.

That's just wrong.

We know a lot. Go to a hospital. Go into a university. 

Saying we don't know what is thousands of miles benath us in some of the most hostile considitions fathomable is just....not proving anything.

BenVTrigger said:
I've long thought this but the thing that made me make the thread was when I was reading about the sun.

They kept talking about how the center of the sun was 27 million degrees. Thats nice and all and they might be right but we dont actually KNOW THAT for a FACT. We have never stuck a thermomenter in the center of the sun and read its temperature.

Theres millions of things scientists throw around as fact that arent actually proven. They are all based on theories and guesses. Which is fine but at least say "we think" or "its our best guess".

*smh*

You don't need a thermometer to guage a temperature reading. Also that thinking is just...broken. How do you know a thermometer correctly tells you the temperature of something? 

You can analyse wave lengths and other things emitted by the sun to get a temperature reading. I'm sorry but it really sounds like you're trying to dismiss facts because you simply don't understand the methodology that was used.

Jay520 said:
There is one thing we know for sure: the fact that we don't know anything...except the one thing we know for sure.

Actually there is only one foundational truth: I think therefore I am

Rene Descartes ~1600.

Well of course not. We don't KNOW anything in any field because technically it's impossible to ever know anything. We could all just be deluding ourselves and making the exact same logical error.

But that way of thinking is silly and pointless and so we avoid it.

The important thing is that science has given us a far better idea of what surrounds us than we would otherwise have, certainly far better than what religion has given us. And you don't need a thermometer to measure temperature; it would just melt if it went anywhere near the sun.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective