By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Ps3 will FINALLY pass the xbox360 at some point,so what,s the big deal?it,s only 2013

I think it means a lot to Sony fans who have spent 7 years suffering the indignity of being wrong every year on when the PS3 would pass the 360. Its going to be even worse when they have the big celebration thread and everyone else is like so what.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
To me it was never about "if" it would outsell the 360, as it has been consistently since it's placement on the market when you factor time. It was only a matter of when, and I think 2014 may be it because the 720 will more then likely come out, and as you can see the 360 is losing that holiday advantage that kept it in the game.

I think PS3 will at least match 360 sales by the end of next year, Xbox 720 or no Xbox 720.

pezus said:
It's one of the biggest deals we can talk about. What else is there to talk about on a sales site? You see the DS vs. PS2 discussion? Yeah, imagine that but multiply it by around 2.

You see some of the most pathetic comments in that thread.  People arguing over a console that is over a decade year old i just don't get.  The thing is we don't even know how much the PS2 has sold.  We are just guessing but people act like they know.  This is another one that I think is going to get blown way out of proportion and a nother argument that I will stay out of because of that.

ethomaz said:
It will pass Wii... so the 360 is not a big deal.

It really won't. But yeah, this pass will happen in June time no doubt. But predictions I suppose...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Xbox fanbase getting excited about passing Wii in the U.K. and in the U.S. is understandable because only couple of years ago, that would have been impossible. Seriously, who knew Wii would tank like it did, and for Xbox360 to continue to sell as it did? I sure didn't. It's very exciting to see Xbox360 still do well and have the chance to beat Wii in couple of regions.
However, for PS3, your fanbase have been talking about beating xbox360 in sales for over 5 years and multiple times a year. It got old.
I think PS3 still has a chance to pass 360 in sales, but maybe not. I think more interesting thread would be, 'how can 360 keep PS3 from catching up in sales?'
If there is a big price drop for the 360, then ps3 will not pass it this year in sales.
And when the next gen. consoles come out, then who knows what will happen. Ps3 might never pass 360.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
thismeintiel said:
Blood_Tears said:
It's a sales site so discussion about this is normal. I always wonder though about certain things are okay to discuss here and somethings are not. For instance if you discuss PS3 overtaking 360 then your considered a fanboy.

However, it's perfectly normal for people to look at the UK sales every week and circle the install bases of the Wii and 360 and say not long now. It`s even worse in this case because Nintendo already started there next gen. People even have that in there sigs. Also with 360 on it's way to passing the Wii in the US is normal to discuss, why no thread topic on that being discussed or over rated because of 8 year old tech.

But the double edged sword comes from "defending" Sony in any way in making these points you get a called a fan boy or defensive (sdf) But the goal posts constantly get moved when discussing sales milestones of 360 or Wii. Sony fans sometimes have it rough here, damned if they do and damned if they don`t. I dare someone today to create a pro Sony topic on anything and I guarantee within the first 5-6 posts there will be a 360 supporter (not naming any names) have something negative or down putting about whatever the topic may be.

This x infinity. 

I always found it funny that the same people who praise the 360 this late in the game with its milestones, are the same exact people who are saying "so what" when Sony fans celebrate its milestones.  Quite hypocritical.  What's sad is I see WAY more Sony guys offering congrats to MS for their accomplishments, than I see MS guys offering it to Sony.  Most of the time it just the "so what" or "who cares" or "Sony's still doomed."  Idk, maybe its because they hate seeing MS come in 3rd again, regardless of how much ground its gained this gen.

I also don't get people who say that people who care about any of these milestones are "sad persons."  It's really no different to rooting for a sports team.  Except this time, that team is providing you with a personal service.  So I guess if you like sports, and support a specific team, you are also a sad person. 

Microsoft weren't 3rd last gen

Simply put, ms and ninty fans had nothing in response to sony domination. Then sony lost that domination with ps3 with console wars now pretty much an even field, it gave an opportunity to those fans to vent their years of anger unto sony.

thismeintiel said:
Blood_Tears said:
It's a sales site so discussion about this is normal. I always wonder though about certain things are okay to discuss here and somethings are not. For instance if you discuss PS3 overtaking 360 then your considered a fanboy.

However, it's perfectly normal for people to look at the UK sales every week and circle the install bases of the Wii and 360 and say not long now. It`s even worse in this case because Nintendo already started there next gen. People even have that in there sigs. Also with 360 on it's way to passing the Wii in the US is normal to discuss, why no thread topic on that being discussed or over rated because of 8 year old tech.

But the double edged sword comes from "defending" Sony in any way in making these points you get a called a fan boy or defensive (sdf) But the goal posts constantly get moved when discussing sales milestones of 360 or Wii. Sony fans sometimes have it rough here, damned if they do and damned if they don`t. I dare someone today to create a pro Sony topic on anything and I guarantee within the first 5-6 posts there will be a 360 supporter (not naming any names) have something negative or down putting about whatever the topic may be.

This x infinity. 

I always found it funny that the same people who praise the 360 this late in the game with its milestones, are the same exact people who are saying "so what" when Sony fans celebrate its milestones.  Quite hypocritical.  What's sad is I see WAY more Sony guys offering congrats to MS for their accomplishments, than I see MS guys offering it to Sony.  Most of the time it just the "so what" or "who cares" or "Sony's still doomed."  Idk, maybe its because they hate seeing MS come in 3rd again, regardless of how much ground its gained this gen.

I also don't get people who say that people who care about any of these milestones are "sad persons."  It's really no different to rooting for a sports team.  Except this time, that team is providing you with a personal service.  So I guess if you like sports, and support a specific team, you are also a sad person. 

Regarding milestones, it's as simple as expectations. Like.. 70 million shipped. Which is more reason to celebrate, a MS console whose predecessor sold less than 25 million and was not expected to fare much better than that itself, or the Sony console, when both of its predecessors not only hit 70 million in sales but did so in dominant fashion? The answer is obvious. It's actual cause for congrats in one case and kind of a "yeah.. yay" emotionless clap in the other. Do you like football? Lets put it in NFL terms. MS is the Indianapolis Colts in this scenario. Last season they only won 2 games, got dominated from the competition, checked out of the season early, but drafted before anyone else and used that momentum to spring into an amazingly successful season. You could say Sony are the New York football Giants. They were the defending champs, started off slow, had a great midseason run, but then faltered a bit at the end. They went out with a huge 42-7 bang but ultimately no one cares because they missed the playoffs. Or you could say they are the New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Atlanta Falcons. So much hype and such good seasons and team pedigree, that nothing short of a Super Bowl win is a success. A team like the Colts deserve praise and congrats for making the playoffs. Other teams, it should be automatic.

You don't see as much praise or congrats for Sony because they have been here before and no one is surprised.

Ps3 to pass Wii??? I don't think so!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Ps3 to pass Wii??? I don't think so!

How many Wii did you expect to sell lifetime? PS3 will sell around 115m (110~120m).

I still don't get why its such a big deal for PS3 fans to see it overtake Xbox 360? You don't see 360 fans making a big deal about their console being in second place, so why is it a big deal for PS3 fans to see their console in second place? Both consoles lost their owners a lot of money, and only now the 360 has made up for its huge loses.
Sony management/ owners will always see the PS3 as a failure cause it lost them so much money. Even Microsoft management would have been disappointed that its taken so long for their console to cover its loses from previous years.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54