By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What I've learned from vgchartz

-a lot of guys would be just fine with becoming women

-saying that somebody is a fan of a certain product is wrong, but calling them a liberal or whatever is a-okay

Around the Network

-We seem to need to talk about a lot of stuff.

For your first one most were just curious, a lot of the posts were "just for a day" or "temporarily".

The word "fan" is fine, it's just a description. "Fanboy" is an insult.

Just like "liberal/conservative" are fine, but "libtard/conservatard" are not.

And I don't think anyone honestly knows what the word liberal means anymore because it's changed so much over the last couple of centuries. I suppose I'm a Peelite liberal but most American liberals don't know who Robert Peel is, and if they did they would disagree with him on everything.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

the first one is actually pretty funny :P

Around the Network
Kantor said:
The word "fan" is fine, it's just a description. "Fanboy" is an insult.

Just like "liberal/conservative" are fine, but "libtard/conservatard" are not.

And I don't think anyone honestly knows what the word liberal means anymore because it's changed so much over the last couple of centuries. I suppose I'm a Peelite liberal but most American liberals don't know who Robert Peel is, and if they did they would disagree with him on everything.

Because liberal and conservative are defined by the era in which they lived. Liberals fight to advance and conservatives to retain, but advance towards what and retain what are the questions. Few enough conservatives in countries are advocates of absolute monarchies anymore, for instance, while liberals fought for free trade and industrialization when those were the radical new things.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

what I' ve learned from this thread: the words liberal & conservative are thrown about too easily these days.

I like how Republicans in the USA (mainly Fox News, Rush Limbaugh) have turned the word liberal into a "bad" word. To them it is like saying go fuck yourself.

Mr Khan said:

Because liberal and conservative are defined by the era in which they lived. Liberals fight to advance and conservatives to retain, but advance towards what and retain what are the questions. Few enough conservatives in countries are advocates of absolute monarchies anymore, for instance, while liberals fought for free trade and industrialization when those were the radical new things.

Which is why it's a stupid paradigm. The opposite of conservative is not liberal; it's radical. And the opposite of liberal is illiberal, not conservative.

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

Which is why it's a stupid paradigm. The opposite of conservative is not liberal; it's radical. And the opposite of liberal is illiberal, not conservative.

I'd define radical as pushing for significant change, no matter which direction. Radical Islamists could certainly be deemed radicals, but are certainly no friends of the Left.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.