By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Terminates Iconic PS2

With PlayStation 4 Rumors Swirling, Sony Kills Iconic PS2

•  

Submit Share

As gaming experts continue to speculate about possible release dates for a PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720, it appears Sony’s PlayStation 2 has officially been laid to rest. The Japanese company has announced it will soon terminate production of the PS2.

Photo credit: ArsTechnica.com

According to Sony, it has stopped shipping the PlayStation 2 and will no longer offer the console for purchase once current inventory runs out.

It truly is the end of an era. The PS2 was first released in early 2000. For the next year-and-a-half it was the most powerful video game console on the market, and continued to dominate its console generation after the release of the Microsoft Xbox (November 2001) and Nintendo GameCube (September 2001).

In the years that followed, Sony released revised hardware that cut the size and weight of the device.

Sony says it sold 150 million units of the PlayStation 2 and that the console can play more than 10,000 different games. Indeed, it was an incredibly popular video game system: in 2008, Neilson ratings said it was the most-played home console in the world.

It’s hard not feeling a little misty-eyed about Sony’s announcement, though one must admit the hardware has become quite dated. Few quality games are still released for a console that is nearing its 13th birthday.

Photo credit: GTAgaming.com

As for the PS4, current rumors suggest it could use a powerful x86 AMD processor, between 8GB and 16GB RAM, and the cutting-edge AMD “Southern Islands” graphics processing unit. A possible release date remains completely unknown, though with the Xbox 720 apparently set for a late 2013 release, it’s likely the PS4 will ship no later than holiday season 2014.

So, what were your favorite PlayStation 2 moments? I’d have to say mine involved zipping around nighttime Vice City in a Infernus, REO Speedwagon blasting from the speakers.

http://www.manolith.com/2012/12/30/with-playstation-4-rumors-swirling-sony-kills-iconic-ps2/

Around the Network

I never bought one!

Is this not the same news that was posted about 4 days ago?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151971&page=1#

Kresnik said:

Is this not the same news that was posted about 4 days ago?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151971&page=1#

not really that is just in japan from the article you've posted whereas this is worldwide, also see sony saying they've sold 150million of them so seems it's overtracked on here rather than undertracked? time for more DS > Ps2 sales articles to pop up with that one.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

farewell to one of the greatest consoles ever

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:
I never bought one!

neither did I

I LOVE ICELAND!

Could this mean they need the manufacturing plants for next gen?

I LOVE ICELAND!

ganoncrotch said:

not really that is just in japan from the article you've posted whereas this is worldwide, also see sony saying they've sold 150million of them so seems it's overtracked on here rather than undertracked? time for more DS > Ps2 sales articles to pop up with that one.

But if you click on the link in the article (where it says "according to Sony"), that links to a web page called arstechnica which says "Famitsu reports that Sony has stopped shipping the console in Japan", and the article is from December 28th.

Seems to me to just be reposting the news about Japanese shipments which again, was posted about 4 days ago.

Also regarding the 150m, the official shipment numbers from Sony put that figure way off.  Here's an update from November 21 2011 which puts the figure at 153.6 million, which will obviously have increased by now.  I think this website just rounded down to the nearest 10 so the number was easier to read :P

damn and me without the money to buy a new one.

LONG LIVE THE PS2 in our hearts minds and gaming history. now the DS can officially take it's place atop the console heap.

a new king will be crowned, but the legend that was PS2 will live on for ever, as it is the benchmark no other home console will ever achieve.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
damn and me without the money to buy a new one.

LONG LIVE THE PS2 in our hearts minds and gaming history. now the DS can officially take it's place atop the console heap.

a new king will be crowned, but the legend that was PS2 will live on for ever, as it is the benchmark no other home console will ever achieve.

Doesn't handheld system be different from a home console?

Best Handheld last gen: DS

Best Home console last gen: PS2