By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "An Unbiased Review" New Super Mario Bros 2 [Tbone51]

Today with the third installment of NSMB series, I'll give you my thoughts on how this game succeeded and where it failed at! Lets Begin...

Story, well if you played Mario games this might (lol) come to be a shocker for you. Bowser kidnaps the princess again! Ooops *Spoilers*.... Wait a Sec? The new feature in this game is actually about collecting so many coins! This game pretty much revolves around getting them. You'll have so much lives (if you dont die all the time) by the end of this game! With Coins Everywhere players will actually spend more time on a level than any other game (2D mario) which is never a bad thing! Also to note in new editions in this game are Gold Rings and Gold Blocks (you were it on your head for a limited time which gives you free coins while running).

Gameplay in this is pretty straight forward, Your typical mario 2D platformer with a couple new things in the mix. You can play Co-op which adds Luigi and even more fun begins. The series shines more in Co-op but its not needed (being on a handheld). By all means its better, just watch out for pushing each other into the obstacles in the levels (unless you want too push them in for a dip in lava)!

A new item is the tonooki (srry for misspell) suit is back in the series (making a reappearance in SM3DL 1st) which is a nice addition and the brand new power up golden flower. This item while active (deactivates when level is finished into a fire flower) gives you the power of turning everything, I mean everything into goooold (coins)! It has an echo effect too which hits enimies close in range of the attack(shooting like fire balls). This will help alot in getting coins so grab as many as you can.

Controls is pretty much the same as always which is good for the game (running/jumping/wall jump/swimming/etc), no complaints there. On a handheld its a nice touch on the go than its home console counterparts so its a plus there too (like all handhelds).

Length of the game isnt long but with coin grabbing in this game (reason of going back, revisiting), its probably the best in the series. Collecting Millions of coins will take time.

Last we have a new feat called coin rush which is range of difficulty that randomly (most) choose a level for you and a player has to collect as many coins as possible (with a few niches). Most fun in the game. There is DLC which one pack now is free so I advise people get it if didn't (ends Jan 31st), Some Crazy Packs even experts will have a hard time with. They are $2.50 a piece.

Last quick thing Graphics. Nothing Spectacular (like NSMBU), the 3D isnt really there like SM3DL was (probably because its 2D). But your not here for graphics and if you are dont play Mario games lol.

Overall this game isn't something new (except the entire coin set up) and innovative so dont be looking for it. Its pretty good and has its moments. Any Mario 2D fan will enjoy this game. Anyone like 2D platformers in general pick this up!

The Verdict

Story/Plot=== 7.5/10 (nothing on story but is pretty cool to add Collect Coins in the Series)
Graphics=== 7/10 (its a mario game so its not like it has to be great but compared to SM3DL this is a little off standard)
Length=== 9.5/10 (With replay ability and taking your time this game deserves it. Thank You Coins!!!)
Gameplay=== 8/10 (nothing too much to be said here. Collecting and being in a 2D platformer runs smooth)
Multiplayer=== 6/10 (only in story mode and being on handheld? Needing another game? Stick to the Console Versions for multiplayer fun)
Difficulty=== 7.5/10 ( not to difficult especially easy bosses but gives a little challenge. Coin Rush gives you the harder challenge though!)

Overall 7.6/10

Pick this game up Mario or 2D platformer fans!

Around the Network

Seems about right. I don't think reaching the 1 Million coins goal will make you revisit already played levels, since Coin Rush allows you to grab MUCH more coins. IMO unlocking W9 in NSMBU is a much stronger reason to revisit levels. Otherwise good review^^

KHlover said:
Seems about right. I don't think reaching the 1 Million coins goal will make you revisit already played levels, since Coin Rush allows you to grab MUCH more coins. IMO unlocking W9 in NSMBU is a much stronger reason to revisit levels. Otherwise good review^^

your right i should of made it seem more of coin rush than revisiting... oh well.. Thanks'!

tbone51 said:
KHlover said:

your right i should of made it seem more of coin rush than revisiting... oh well.. Thanks'!

You're welcome :D

Great review :D Somehoe I missed this when it was posted lol How does this compare to New Super Mario Bros U? Or have you played that yet?

Around the Network

Agreed, about 7.6

JayWood2010 said:
Great review :D Somehoe I missed this when it was posted lol How does this compare to New Super Mario Bros U? Or have you played that yet?

I have to make a review on that but it definitely is alot better. It has Challenges, HD graphics which are very well detailed! Alot better with multiplayer! Cool levels! Everything you eant except easy bosses lmao!

tbone51 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I have to make a review on that but it definitely is alot better. It has Challenges, HD graphics which are very well detailed! Alot better with multiplayer! Cool levels! Everything you eant except easy bosses lmao!

I have New super Mario Bros U but for qwhatever reason I just cant get into it.  too many side scrolling marios in a short periood of time in my opinion.

JayWood2010 said:
tbone51 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I have New super Mario Bros U but for qwhatever reason I just cant get into it.  too many side scrolling marios in a short periood of time in my opinion.

The levels are just too short! How come it couldn't be like SMW for SNES right!?