By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's biggest obstacle heading into next generation

Cobretti2 said:
LOL lack of 3rd party support is not an obstacle for Nintendo as history should tell them not to except much 3rd party support, so they should be focusing on their own game development more so than ever to ensure a steady flow of games.

This, lack of 3rd party is not an obstacle for nintendo. The biggest problem I can foresee for nintendo is a software drought. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

Nintendo can succeed without 3rd party support, they've proven that much. The third party is only needed if they want to dominate. The biggest challenge for Wii U is that many gamers migrated from wii late in its life and now have live and psn id's and friends. pulling them back will take excellent exclusive software, strong online and a good price.

Their best ideas being copied.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

OceanJ said:
gronk-bonk said:
OceanJ said:
3rd party support - but why?

Because Asymmetric Gameplay is a dud.

The Wii U says - 2 Screens are better than 1

The industry says - 1 Screen is better than 2.

Why is that? Because it takes too much brainpower, design, creativity, new risks, unknown territory, time, to make a groundbreaking Asymmetric game than a regular 1-screen T.V. game.

Asymmetric Play is already dead in the water for 3rd parties.

No 3rd parties are singing Asymmetric Gameplay's praises. It's already too difficult a financial environment for Dev's, they can't afford to take risks on Asym.

What a load of nonsense. This made me laugh

most games we have seen from 3rd part or ports, so they have not taken advantage of the gamepad. 

We have rayman legends and alien colonial marines both have assymetric gameplay, getting a release on the wii u. Apparantly assymetric gameplay is dead for 3rd parties

@bolded When did the industry say that. Show me proof. Stop  spewing nonsense from your mouth

3rd Party Dev's by & large are passing the Wii U by.  Actions speak louder than words.  They've spoken with their actions.  

Asym games are too complicated to develop, regardless of how easy the Dev Kit is for Nintendo.  

Sure, we'll see some games with trite GamePad features, because they feel obligated to use it...or else, why is the GamePad even there?

But only Nintendo and Ubisoft, who seem particulary enamored with Asym, will make deep Asym experiences.

Maybe if & when Nintendo makes an epic game for their new system, that has Asym experiences that grab the public the same way motion control did with the Wii...3rd parties will follow suit.  But they're not going to bet big on Asym until Nintendo proves its value.

load of crap, stop making up shit. Where is your evidence to substantiate your claims?

They are passing the wii u, not because of the difficulty assymetric gameplay. It is because it is risky to develop on a new system.

Crytek and 2k have said they are not developing for the wii u, because they have no business model that fits the console. Basically they are using the wait and see strategy.

Right now most developers are content in developing for the current gen. Why? because they have a market of 140 million console to sell their games. It is a lot more risky to develope games for the wii u when they have a user base under 5 million.

Ports on the wii u are not doing well because.most people can get them on a console they already own. So why would they buy a new console for multiplats? So benefits on porting their multiplats to the wii u, will be little. Thats why ZombiU and any wii u exclusive will sell better than current gen multiplats. Because these are the games that attract gamers to the console.

When all 3 next gen consoles are out on the market. We will see most developers take the risk in investing in next gen consoles. That is why we have so many new ips, but also many developers closing down and so few new ips at the end of cycle because of the hughe risk factor.

3rd parties are playing relatively safe, and just waiting how the market will react to the wii u. No doubt when the next gen battle starts we will have a better picture on 3rd party support

Wii U 3rd party will depend on so many variables. Such as

1. The install base

2. What kind of market they have attracted. ( core, casaul, or a combination of both)

3. The competition

4. Development costs/

Please note the Wii U gamepad is not only about assymetric gameplay. It has a lot more features and capabilities

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

Third parties, third parties, blah, blah, blah.

It's a waste of time. Developers will always bail on Nintendo especially the big Western studios. It's hopeless, and it's the same movie we've been watching for 15 years now.

What Nintendo should instead focus on are winning the battles they can actually win.

Re-focus on Western indie developers. Get these small guys on board en masse, like the Trine developers and give them nice financial breaks/funding (small potatoes for Nintendo) for exclusive game projects.

For Japan, continue to make many more deals like the one with Platinum Studios.

Take the freaking leash off Retro and let them make more games. Rebuild NST to be a powerhouse studio. Give NOA some damn authority over content, instead of just using Reggie as a glorified spokesman.

Around the Network

Weaker hardware , cuz PS4 and Xbox 720 are definitely going to be more powerful.

IMSM

a) Increased costs for game developement (bigger teams/budgets)
b) Higher retail game prices (60$) than Wii

SqueakySamurai said:
Mainly by the fact that the next PlayStation and XBOX are going to have superior hardware. Perhaps making the Wii U as outdated for it's time as the Wii was.

The hardware doesn't exist to make that possible, and if it did you'd end up with a console the size of a PC with a fan having the same sort of decibel level as a 747 lol.

And the very important differences between the Wii and the Wii U are that Nintendo have finally ditched fixed functions in favour of traditional programmable shaers and that the Wii U has a similar architecture. It means that it's going to be very easy for developers to down-port and up-port between all 3 consoles this gen.

I'm staying out of this argument for as much as I can, but I will say this:

Nintendo Wii U NEEDS third party support.  Nintendo knows it.  Is it an easy feat?  No.  But are they just going to give up on it?  No.

I don't think Nintendo's 3rd party support is going to be that bad*, at least in comparison to a decade ago when the GC had balls nothing. They'll struggle to keep up with MSony, though.

*until PS4/X720 come out