By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales: Famitsu & Media create

Nintendomintation at it’s finest. The Wii U will pick up in the coming months with Monster Hunter, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101 coming soon. Excellent start for Wii U.

Around the Network
Chandler said:
outlawauron said:
Chandler said:
Famitsu is tracking download cards afaik, Media Create doesn't. Neither are tracking direct eShop purchases (how could they?).

Everything poor excpet 3DS. Every game below NSMB2 is doomed, because NSMB2 itself is a failure of a game that is doomed.

This is also true for every console and handheld that has digital sales and vouchers for games (i.e. every other console on the market).

I may have low expectations, but I come away impressed with PS3. I know its down YoY, but that's to be expected as it comes to the end of its life, right?

Since the successor to the PS3 hasn't been announced in any way I don't see why people should hold off from buying a PS3. The market isn't saturated at 8.8 million units sold either, as handheld numbers suggest. People claim the PS3 has just as much power as the Wii U has, it has a huge library of games and is cheaper. I don't see how the PS3 numbers are impressive under those circumstances.

That's a terrible anaology. Consoles have natural cycles and tend to have lower sales once its past its prime. This happens despite the fact it now has a giant, varied library of great games and is cheaper than all of the other new options. Saturation has little to do with it will never reach the point that the PS2 and DS reached.

Also, the PS3 is still 25,000 yen for the cheapest option, it's not likes its at some clearance pricing for a last sales push.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

N-Magic said:
Nintendomintation at it’s finest. The Wii U will pick up in the coming months with Monster Hunter, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101 coming soon. Excellent start for Wii U.

Dont know how people can be so delusional.  Monster hunter is already out and its out the top 30.  Those games you mentioned are not system sellers. and its selling half of what the Wii did in the same time period for this week.

outlawauron said:
Chandler said:
outlawauron said:
Chandler said:
Famitsu is tracking download cards afaik, Media Create doesn't. Neither are tracking direct eShop purchases (how could they?).

Everything poor excpet 3DS. Every game below NSMB2 is doomed, because NSMB2 itself is a failure of a game that is doomed.

This is also true for every console and handheld that has digital sales and vouchers for games (i.e. every other console on the market).

I may have low expectations, but I come away impressed with PS3. I know its down YoY, but that's to be expected as it comes to the end of its life, right?

Since the successor to the PS3 hasn't been announced in any way I don't see why people should hold off from buying a PS3. The market isn't saturated at 8.8 million units sold either, as handheld numbers suggest. People claim the PS3 has just as much power as the Wii U has, it has a huge library of games and is cheaper. I don't see how the PS3 numbers are impressive under those circumstances.

That's a terrible anaology. Consoles have natural cycles and tend to have lower sales once its past its prime. This happens despite the fact it now has a giant, varied library of great games and is cheaper than all of the other new options. Saturation has little to do with it will never reach the point that the PS2 and DS reached.

Also, the PS3 is still 25,000 yen for the cheapest option, it's not likes its at some clearance pricing for a last sales push.

But the PS3 isn't past it's prime, it's just hitting it's stride. Software releases do not indicate that the PS3 is on it's way out, Sony themselves are not indicating that the PS3 is on the way out because they just released a new slim version and a new color on top of it. Sony is certainly not phasing out the PS3 at the moment, only the consumers do.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Train wreck said:
N-Magic said:

Dont know how people can be so delusional.  Monster hunter is already out and its out the top 30.  Those games you mentioned are not system sellers. and its selling half of what the Wii did in the same time period for this week.

Monster Hunter for europe m8. and Pikmin 3 yes it,s a milion seller

Around the Network
N-Magic said:
Train wreck said:
N-Magic said:

Monster Hunter for europe m8. and Pikmin 3 yes it,s a milion seller

Wasn't Monster Hunter Wii U just an HD version of a Tri port?

In any case, Nintendo has 80% marketshare briefly and some old software got great boosts. I do wonder what Sony will do with the PSP/Vita situation in terms of transferring that content over to the new platform. Wii U is doing ok but after the holidays its gonna drop hard. Pikmin would only hold the decline for 2 weeks at best.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I know already posted but....HOLY BALLZ

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Train wreck said:
N-Magic said:

It's also important to note that the sales are ramping up for the other consoles because of the New Year holiday.  However, even with the large increase of buying, the Wii U still slipped ~9K units.  So, this isn't really a good thing.  Once the shopping frenzy is over, it is going to have a pretty big drop.

The handheld domination in Japan is quite curious.

Why have so many Japanese gamers switched to handheld gaming and when did the phenomenon start?

I may be mistaken, but as far as I know, home consoles were very, very strong in Japan in previous generations...SNES, PS1, PS2, etc..were all very strong.

So...what exactly happened between the GBA-DS transition that made so many Japanese gamers ditch home consoles?

Train wreck said:
N-Magic said:

Not sure why a lot of people expected Monster Hunter on the Wii U to be a massive success. According to VGC, the only console Monster Hunter game to pass the 1m mark in Japan is Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, so I'm not really all that surprise. Monster Hunter 4 will a whole different story.

Nintendo and PC gamer