By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - why sony releases last of us on ps3

I know they still want to support ps3 but they are releasing too many good games next year on ps3 so if they want to sell ps4 they need at least one system seller. why would i buy ps4 when i can buy god of war, sly4, byond two souls and last of us on ps3, i don't see a reason to buy another console.

i think last of us or god of war can be a system seller for sony. Assume you can only play last of us on ps4 that makes some people to buy the console on day one. look at wii u which has the new super mario  which you can't play on wii and you have to buy wii u if you wanna play it.

so what do you think guys ?

Around the Network

Dude Sony got this! (Hopefully)

The dev costs of the game will be high, so putting it on a system that won't have many consoles out there yet (like PS4) wouldn't make sense. Put it on the system with 70 million consoles out there, not 1 million.

PS4 ain't coming till 2015, I don't see what the problem is.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

VetteDude said:
The dev costs of the game will be high, so putting it on a system that won't have many consoles out there yet (like PS4) wouldn't make sense. Put it on the system with 70 million consoles out there, not 1 million.

but still sony needs something to convince people buy the new system otherwise they have too release all the games on ps3 not ps4 because 70 million poeple have that.

sony has to release some good games on ps4 all the companys do ( microsoft released halo3 with xbox360 , nintendo released new super mario with wii u eventhought theyn know they can sell more if they release the game on wii but if they do less people will buy wii u)

Around the Network

Sony is not like Microsoft. They prefer their slow starts to new consoles. While Microsoft will come blazing out of the gate with the 720, the 360 will likely suffer for it. I think the 360 is pretty much dead after the 720 launches. Likewise, Sony will continue to support big games on the Ps3, but the Ps4 will struggle to sell at launch and likely down the road a bit.
It's an interesting strategy that so far, has worked more or less. They are only 1.5 million behind the 360 currently and released a year later. Weather that slow start thing works next gen is yet to be seen.

Nintendo's hardware however just sells like candy no matter the quality/quanity of the games on it. Seriously what new games have come out on the Wii in 2012? All the big releases were on the Wii U yet the Wii still sold 300+ last week!

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

mysticwolf said:

yeah if it comes 2015 then there is no problem here but that would be really late because i am pretty sure microsoft will release xbox720 next year and that's a big mistake to give microsoft 2 yeasr lead

sony wants people to continue buying ps3s, obviously. The ps3 is likely making a profit, given the lack of pricedrop with the slim. Lots of companies kept supporting the ps2 when ps3 arrived and several big sony first party games were released shortly before ps3 dropped.
Source: Ps2 shipped an additional 50m consoles after ps3 released.

Remember also the rumor that ps4 will support backwards compatibility with a dongle. No point in not releasing ps3 games, or worse, having to remake all their ps3 upcoming releases with ps4 graphics on a console that will only have ~6-7m first year when you have 70m ps3 install base.

sepisfu said:
mysticwolf said:

yeah if it comes 2015 then there is no problem here but that would be really late because i am pretty sure microsoft will release xbox720 next year and that's a big mistake to give microsoft 2 yeasr lead

Sony has undercover agents that will make sure the release of the next Xbox is delayed.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:
sepisfu said:
mysticwolf said:

Sony has undercover agents that will make sure the release of the next Xbox is delayed.

okay yeah that makes sense lol