By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it just me or is Square just not getting the memo?

kowenicki said:
Chaos rings is pretty good.......

As a phone game I agree, but I don't think I would say the same if it was a console game. I don't like grindfests, and I see Chaos rings as one.

Around the Network

I don't know I really like ff 11 and loved 12. If you don't utilize the gambit right it can play like a atb battle system.

Soleron said:
DCOK said:
think-man said:
Soleron said:
If they can make a profit on continued FF13 sequels why shouldn't they do them? If anything they're wrong to stop after three.

Because they are ruining a franchise that was once so damn good....

In bold and underlined, that is EXACTLY the problem. SE believes in quantity over quality whereas it used to be the other way around. 

Funny, because when I look at the timeline:

1999 VIII
2000 IX
2001 X
2002 XI

and yet

2006 XII
2009 XIII
2012 XIII-2

Three times as slow is "quantity over quality"?

I think by quantity over quality he means S-E is no longer focusing most of their resources on console FF games and some of their other flagship franchises.  Their approach is much more diversed now as they're also developing mobile games, spinoffs for handhelds, non-RPGs, etc.  

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
iceland said:
I remember when Squaresoft was my favorite dev... ohh man

i remember when they committed suicide with Spirits Within

You said it all. After that Sakaguchi was fired and the merge with Enix was delayed, because Square lost a lot of money. How to trust a company that took such risky atempt at nothing? 

DCOK said:
think-man said:
Soleron said:
If they can make a profit on continued FF13 sequels why shouldn't they do them? If anything they're wrong to stop after three.

In bold and underlined, that is EXACTLY the problem. SE believes in quantity over quality whereas it used to be the other way around. 

Square has been buying time for a sinking ship that has been falling deeper and deeper into shit. Without Sakaguchi they will never find the formula to save it. Its his brain child.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
DCOK said:
think-man said:
Soleron said:

1999 VIII
2000 IX
2001 X
2002 XI

and yet

2006 XII
2009 XIII
2012 XIII-2

It wasn't 3 years apart from when we seen XIII to XIII-2. It was 2 years. Japan got XIII in 2009 and got XIII-2 in 2011, North America got XIII in 2010 and XIII-2 in 2012. They also released Final Fantasy 14 in 2010. So nothing has really changed, but the quality of the games. And the fact that they don't listen to the masses of their fans.

Godchild1020 said:
Soleron said:
DCOK said:
think-man said:
Soleron said:

1999 VIII
2000 IX
2001 X
2002 XI

and yet

2006 XII
2009 XIII
2012 XIII-2

It wasn't 3 years apart from when we seen XIII to XIII-2. It was 2 years. Japan got XIII in 2009 and got XIII-2 in 2011, North America got XIII in 2010 and XIII-2 in 2012. They also released Final Fantasy 14 in 2010. So nothing has really changed, but the quality of the games. And the fact that they don't listen to the masses of their fans.

OK, 4 years then 2 instead of 3 years then 3. Still not yearly FF though. 

Lol, listening to fans. Fans already buy your game! Why not listen to the people who DON'T buy your game and see what they want.

I like JRPGs, I have money to spend Why don't I buy FF? 1. Not on a Nintendo console 2. Story and cutscenes drown it as a game. 

Soleron said:

OK, 4 years then 2 instead of 3 years then 3. Still not yearly FF though. 

Lol, listening to fans. Fans already buy your game! Why not listen to the people who DON'T buy your game and see what they want.

I like JRPGs, I have money to spend Why don't I buy FF? 1. Not on a Nintendo console 2. Story and cutscenes drown it as a game. 

Because people who don't buy their games all have varying opinions and interests.  It's not like S-E isn't trying, but you can't please everybody.  Some of those people are not interested in RPGs period.  So that's why Square acquired Eidos in order to release games like Tomb Raider and Hitman under their name.  Others may be casual RPG fans and not into harcore console gaming.  So S-E is now directing some focus to the mobile gaming market.  I would love for them to go back to the old days and focus only on traditional console RPGs, but unfortunately times have changed and I find myself in the minority now.  Most of my friends who grew up with me playing old FF and DQ games are now more into COD and western RPGs.  It's sad to see, but I really think traditional JRPGs are becoming a dying genre, especially in North America.    

FF13 and 13-2 are good final fantasy games. I enjoyed them alot im not super excited for lighting returns but I want to finish up the storyline.

Kynes said:
kowenicki said:
Chaos rings is pretty good.......

As a phone game I agree, but I don't think I would say the same if it was a console game. I don't like grindfests, and I see Chaos rings as one.

I'm confused. Doesn't "grindfest" describe every Final Fantasy ever made?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.