By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is it safe to say that these 60 3DS games have made a profit?

spurgeonryan said:

Is it safe to say that these 60 3DS games have made a profit?

yes

Around the Network

actually maybe 20 million sellers including the top 15 current
Fire Emblem
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Dragon Quest 7
Luigi mansion
Paper Mario SS

spurgeonryan said:
Great! Then what is holding third party devs back?

3rd parties are holding back?

I'm not sure what you are saying/suggesting/asking....

41 of the 60 games you listed are 3rd party.

I still don't understand this thread....

You asked a question, I answered correctly, I guess this is where someone posts:

/thread

I don't think 3DS is lacking support from 3rd parties... but the information you posted is playing into their excuses nicely. The top 8 out of 10 are Nintendo made games, and some 3rd partys use the excuse that only Nintendo games can be successful on a Nintendo platform.

Around the Network

I don't think all of them did.

@ $25 profit per unit sold, I don't think every title at 200,000 units is going to break a profit. Some of them? Yes. All of them? No. You're probably closer to 50 titles breaking even or making a profit.

Even then, if you'd want to be real cynical, you only have 2 titles that are third party that broke the 1 million unit barrier.... That means that having a huge success on the 3DS as a third party is unlikely.

Personally, I think the 3DS E-shop is a better play at the moment, assuming costs are lower.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yes, it is safe to assume those games made profits. lets remember that games in Japan are more expensive than in the US.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I wouldn't necessarily say that they all turned a profit, but I think most of them probably did ...

It's best not to make assumptions like that. Most of these games have likely turned a profit. Not all of them necessarily made a significant profit. Bear in mind that even if a company gets a 200% return on investment making one product, if they can get a 250% return on investment making a different product, they'll choose the latter. Just because a developer made a profit from a 3DS game doesn't mean they won't abandon it for a different console they think they can make a greater profit on.

spurgeonryan said:
Great! Then what is holding third party devs back?

When the 3DS was first announced, 3rd party support was phenomenal for a Nintendo console.   But then Sony showed up with a very powerful and easy to develop for portable console which took some support away.  The real problem came about when the 3DS launched and then started to falter in sales.   Developers quickly took that as a sign that either portable consoles were no longer as viable as before or that gamers were more interested in the upcoming PS Vita so development changed.   It takes a year or two for events in the industry to culminate in action that we see later on.    Now that the 3DS is kicking ass and Vita is having sales problems, we'll see support spike big again next year.

mrstickball said:
I don't think all of them did.

@ $25 profit per unit sold, I don't think every title at 200,000 units is going to break a profit. Some of them? Yes. All of them? No. You're probably closer to 50 titles breaking even or making a profit.

Even then, if you'd want to be real cynical, you only have 2 titles that are third party that broke the 1 million unit barrier.... That means that having a huge success on the 3DS as a third party is unlikely.

Personally, I think the 3DS E-shop is a better play at the moment, assuming costs are lower.

I think I can say with absolute confidence that not a single game on that list had a $5 million development and marketing budget. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised