By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hits 30 million lifetime sales across PAL regions

Sony has announced that total PS3 console sales in PAL territories have passed the 30 million unit mark as of December 17th. The positive announcement comes as the company’s stock rating wasreduced to ‘junk’ status in Japan by credit rating agency Fitch, following poor financials in the region.

Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SCEE. said in a statement, “This is a major milestone for us and clearly shows just how popular the PlayStation brand and products are within Europe and the PAL territories.

“We are really pleased with the success of the PS3 system over the last six years, and are committed to continuing our support of the platform with high quality products and titles that are of the caliber that PlayStation fans have come to expect.”

Launched in the UK on 16th March 2007, PlayStation 3 got off to a relatively slow start in retail due to its high price-point, but the release of PS3 Slim and more recently the PS3 Super Slim have seen the console enjoy a boost in sales.

Just last month, total worldwide PS3 sales hit 70 million – no small number we’re sure you’ll agree.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/19/ps3-hits-30-million-lifetime-sales-across-pal-regions/

Around the Network

What on VGChartz constitutes as PAL? We show Europe at 27.55M and another 7M or so for "Others". Would these newly released numbers be the Europe ones?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I live in Europe and have 2 PS3!!! I think the numbers in Vg are undertracked...

Great stuff! onward charge for the mighty PS3

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Euphoria14 said:
What on VGChartz constitutes as PAL? We show Europe at 27.55M and another 7M or so for "Others". Would these newly released numbers be the Europe ones?

What are the numbers for Australia? The 30 million milestone is sell through, sold to customers.

Around the Network

In France, the bundle 500 Giga with Fifa 13 or Assassin's 3 are sold out everywhere :(

Well deserved. These are sell through numbers aswell.

PS3 is around 1.5m in Australia alone i think?

kowenicki said:

Also, How do we know its sold through?

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that the cumulative sales1 of the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system reached a milestone of 30 million units across Europe and the PAL territories as of 17th December 2012, demonstrating the continued popularity and momentum of the PS3® platform...

Quote:

1 Sell through number (units sold to consumers) estimated by SCEE.

From GAF.

Also, the topic states "PS3 Surpasses 30m"

Meaning it's most likely over the 30m number already.