By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo Must Launch A New Console In 2014

DanneSandin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:
haha good laugh! Thanks :D

People just assume PS720 will look all that much better, but as of now there isn't any evidence for that. 

I would say some of the tech demos we've seen alone are evidence for it. 

Oh, you mean all the "extremely scalable" engines, like UE4? That engines supposed to work on smartphones as well as a high end PC. And of course they're gonna show off the PC version, making people go "Ooooh", "Aaaahh", "woooow"

It's not evidence that's how PS720 will look.

I think it's pretty clear that when we get these typically console games being shown off with all these fancy new effects, it's an indication of what Orbis and Durango will produce. 

MGS and Final Fantasy for example, aren't franchises known for pushing PC tech, yet the MGS GZ demo and FF tech demo looks beyond or on-par with what system-pushing PC games have shown lately (e.g. Metro: LL, Witcher 2). Are they spending god knows how much resources on all these extra effects and graphical features for the PC version alone, or are they targeting Sony and Microsoft's next gen systems? 

I don't see why kojima productions/Konami would be investing in all this awesome tech if only the PC version would truly benefit from it. Their bread and butter is console sales.

Am I making sense?

Around the Network

No matter how underpowered the WiiU is, and it is VERY underpowered, it will outsell the console competition by a large margin thanks to the many millions of casual Nintendo fans. Same goes to the 3DS, which is underpowered when compared to the Vita.

If anything you'd think everyone would have learned from the Wii by now that console power does not equal sales.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

ps3-sales! said:
No matter how underpowered the WiiU is, and it is VERY underpowered, it will outsell the console competition by a large margin thanks to the many millions of casual Nintendo fans. Same goes to the 3DS, which is underpowered when compared to the Vita.

If anything you'd think everyone would have learned from the Wii by now that console power does not equal sales.

So I take it you've actually seen and played/worked with a PS720?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

torok said:
DanneSandin said:

People just assume PS720 will look all that much better, but as of now there isn't any evidence for that. And considering Sony's financials they can't afford loosing too much money at the get go. And I don't care if PS4 isn't made in Japan; Wii U isn't produced in Japan, but in China. The bottom line is that Sony is a Japanese company and ALL money they make will go to the mother company, meaning the exchange rate will eat up a bit of the profits!

MS on the other hand could make a beastly console, which powers will go largely untapped by 3rd parties since they'll produce the same games for the WiiStation as well. Just read the link in my sig... *sigh* Wii U will be the weakest console, but not so much that it'll be a huge difference in graphics, AND it'll be cheaper. So, a console that's cheaper and almost has as good graphics... Geeee I wonder which console will sell better...

What PS720 needs is unique features, like those VR glasses that's supposed to come with the PS4 or that holographic capability of the 720. But making multiplat games for that is just crazy!

PS4 and 720 will be more powerfull. It's just obvious. You can't release a new, expensive, with few games console that isn't a improvement. Wii U is much more powerfull than Wii. That isn't much more powerfull than PS360, but it is a massive improvement to its predecessor.

It doesn't matter how is Sony financials, they will have to do a console that blows PS3 out of the water. If they don't, it simply won't sell and they will be dead. The best strategy is to release a powerfull one and try their best. If they couldn't afford it, they simply won't release anything and quit the consoles bussiness (what they won't, because is one of the strong divisions and they need to focus on that to survive). They didn't stopped making TVs and that division is a tragedy. It isn't likely that they will try to cut losses in a division that is in way better shape. It's easier to simply stop making TVs.

Regarding, MS, they have money and want a future-proof console. It will be powerfull too. Put there at least 4GB of RAM (maybe they even go for 8 GB). In the end, booth Sony and Ms want consoles like their predecessors, that will last for good 6~7 years without problems. A weaker console would be a problem. Sega did it, they tryed to go for the "incremental upgrade" way (Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast) and ended releasing a lot of consoles and selling nothing.

I think you'll be surprised what the Wii U can really do when they unveil Retro's new game... I know that PS720 will be more powerful than Wii U, the question is though, HOW much more powerful? I firmly don't believe it'll be like PS360 vs Wii - more like xbox vs PS2.

DanneSandin said:

I think you'll be surprised what the Wii U can really do when they unveil Retro's new game... I know that PS720 will be more powerful than Wii U, the question is though, HOW much more powerful? I firmly don't believe it'll be like PS360 vs Wii - more like xbox vs PS2.

We don't have to wait until Retro's new game. Look at the Zelda tech demo. Furthermore:

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:

People just assume PS720 will look all that much better, but as of now there isn't any evidence for that. 

I would say some of the tech demos we've seen alone are evidence for it. 

Oh, you mean all the "extremely scalable" engines, like UE4? That engines supposed to work on smartphones as well as a high end PC. And of course they're gonna show off the PC version, making people go "Ooooh", "Aaaahh", "woooow"

It's not evidence that's how PS720 will look.

I think it's pretty clear that when we get these typically console games being shown off with all these fancy new effects, it's an indication of what Orbis and Durango will produce. 

MGS and Final Fantasy for example, aren't franchises known for pushing PC tech, yet the MGS GZ demo and FF tech demo looks beyond or on-par with what system-pushing PC games have shown lately (e.g. Metro: LL, Witcher 2). Are they spending god knows how much resources on all these extra effects and graphical features for the PC version alone, or are they targeting Sony and Microsoft's next gen systems? 

I don't see why kojima productions/Konami would be investing in all this awesome tech if only the PC version would truly benefit from it. Their bread and butter is console sales.

Am I making sense?

Yes, I think you're making sense. I'm just too tired to make any further arguments =) sorry to leave the discussion that way, but it feels like we're both banging our heads against a stone wall since we don't actually know how powerful the PS720 will be. Heck, we don't even know what Wii U can do yet! All I'm saying it'll be something more similar to Xbox vs PS2 than PS360 vs Wii, both in regards of graphics - but more importanly with regards to 3rd party support (well, that last thing is me hoping 3rd parties won't be such douches!!)

Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:

We don't have to wait until Retro's new game. Look at the Zelda tech demo. Furthermore:

Haha well, going by that Zelda for Wii U will blow everything the PS360 has to offer right out of the waters!! Thanks for even furthering my points ;)

Andrespetmonkey said:

Am I making sense?

Have you noticed that the tech-demos Sony and their partners shown off before their systems are released tend to have reduced detail, fewer effects, a choppier frame-rate and are rendered at a lower resolution when these games are released?

I have a theory about why Sony and their partners have the opposite trend of Nintendo and their partners, Sony tech-demos are run on high performance hardware to simulate what Sony believes their system can do while Nintendo's tech demos are early versions of a game running on an incomplete engine.

HappySqurriel said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
The problem with articles such as this one is that it takes no amount of courage or insight to produce them.

Anyone can guess that the Xbox 720 and PS4 will blow Wii U out of the water, but where is the evidence? Wii dominated the seventh-generation with an underpowered console, and lost badly the sixth with an overpowered console.

This article would have been a lot more useful to Nintendo in 2008. Nintendo probably should have released a Wii HD in 2009 or 2010. But I believe that the Wii U is built to weather the storms Wii never could.

The Gamecube was not overpowered. The Xbox was more power than it. The PS2 was the weakest but it won because it was "too cool to fail". The Wii won thanks to casuals jumping on the motion control bandwagon. That's why it's sales died when the fad ended and casuals stoped caring when they moved on to some other fad.

I don't think any evidence is needed to say that the NextBox and PS4 will be several times more powerfull than the Wii U. Since the Wii U is barely more powerfull than the PS360 and MS and Sony are very unlikely to release machines barely better than what they already have on the market it's common sense that their next machines will be greately superior to the Wii U just as they will be to the PS360.

The Wii didn't lose sales because the "fad" ended, the Wii lost sales because third party publishers were never willing to give it adequate support ...

Beyond that, you can see evidence in the challenge Sony and Microsoft will face in their next generation consoles by looking at the Wii U. At launch the Wii used 13.7 Watts on average while the Wii U uses 32 Watts on average, the Wii U is (roughly) 40% bigger in volume than the Wii is, and the Wii was sold at $250 and Nintendo claimed to be breaking even while the Wii U is sold at $350 with Nintendo claiming to be taking a small loss.

If you start applying a similar increases to the XBox 720 to get similar increases in performance, you're looking at a gigantic 300+ watt system selling for $500 or more while pushing Microsoft to take $500 Million losses every quarter. Remember that (at launch) the power supply of the XBox 360 over-heated causing systems to shut down, and there were incidents of house fires being started from these power supplies; so expect constant news stories of countless house fires as people foolishly played the XBox 720 they bought.

The argument that Sony and Microsoft will be able to preserve their processing power advantage is based entirely on ignorance, and the question isn't whether or not Sony and Microsoft will be relatively less powerful in the next generation the question is how much less powerful they will be.

that's correct.

+ For Sony gaining profit.

HappySqurriel said:

Have you noticed that the tech-demos Sony and their partners shown off before their systems are released tend to have reduced detail, fewer effects, a choppier frame-rate and are rendered at a lower resolution when these games are released?

I have a theory about why Sony and their partners have the opposite trend of Nintendo and their partners, Sony tech-demos are run on high performance hardware to simulate what Sony believes their system can do while Nintendo's tech demos are early versions of a game running on an incomplete engine.

I remember a lot of "target renders" for the PS3 that will probably only be achieved by PS4, so you could be right. But what about all other Sony systems? PS3 seems to be an exception in quite a few areas, is this another area? I should add that the KZ and MS demos were CG, the MGS GZ and Watch_Dogs demos were real time.

I know we never got any bullshit for the PS VITA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFv49yjsA2U Comparable to ass creed or Uncharted, will be surpassed in a couple years probably.