By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next generation console development is seriously hurting the Wii U.

Squilliam said:

Put yourself in the position of a very good software engineer. You're making games because you're in it for the love and not so much the money as you could probably do uninteresting non gaming development and earn at least twice the salary with better hours. Publishers and managers only have so much sway on you because the chances of being unemployed for more than a couple of weeks between jobs is pretty slim. This is the challenge of managing a talented employee base which has mobile skills and a real willingness to walk if they don't get what they want.

You have two major options, either you maintain old code and port the Wii U or you can work on completely new architectures and take on new challenges so which one do you pick? Remembering that you're in it for the love and not the money so unless you have a specific love for Nintendo you're probably going to pick the latter. Now multiply this effect by X number of engineers spread over Y number of development houses and you have the answer as to why Z numbers multiplatform ports aren't coming Nintendo's way.

So there we have it, a repeat of the last generation where 3rd party developers pretty much only develop for the Nintendo console because they 'have to'  and any developer with a choice exercises it generally and develops for other systems. Nintendo was simply unwilling to do what the top level developers wanted and hence they don't get the support from the top level developers, had the Wii U been more powerful it would have been a lot more interesting to developers or had it come say in 2010 there wouldn't have been the option for these developers to simply move onto new systems.

TLDR: Top level developers would have no problem supporting the Wii U but they just don't want to and managers can't tell them what to do.

This whole comment is delusional....old code?!? managers can't make them?!? You really don't seem to have a clue do you. Sounds like the comments of a 12 year old....Wait until the new systems are out and even though they will be more powerful, they will be very similar to the Wii U.....

Stop hating and start playing.

Around the Network

Oh, really? XD

LOL apart from all the errors in your post like: "old code this", "new challenges on new architecture" and "money not important"

I agree that the most likely outcome will be less then stellar Wii U support.

However I also believe that if the WiiU was more powerful it still would not get those ports as history has proven this before. The fact is that little Nintnendo logo is what stopes most developers touching the console.

So NIntendos choices are:
1) Make affordable hardware users will be happy with
2) Make expensive hardware developers want, but in the end won't develop for and sell at higher price resulting even worst sales than it is now.

Oh I am an engineer and MONEY comes first as I got a mortgage and bills to pay (they are not small in Australian).

bananaking21 said:
Areym said:
I'm going to make the giant assumption that developers or engineers or whatnot are in it for the money, for the most part.

what? are you saying that developers and engineers want to make money and make a living? i thought they just loved making games and want to make them for free?!

I go to school with plenty of game developers and truly if money was not an option they would still make games for free. The problem with that is that production isnt free.

Can't wait for Nintendo to prove all these threads wrong... =)

Around the Network
carlos3189 said:
Can't wait for Nintendo to prove all these threads wrong... =)

Nintendos cant do that, lets hope the third parties follow through.

I'm talking about Nintendo Directs and all those kind of events! Besides, if Microsoft has taught us something this generation is that money moves 3rd Parties so Nintendo actually CAN do much! ;D

I'm not sure how relevant your statements are to what Nintnedo systems are these days. You're going to get many first party Nintendo games and some great 3rd party exclusive as well. I don't think too many people care about ported down cross platforms games for the system. It certainly won't effect me as a wiiu owner if engineers don't want to port the code down to wiiu so long as they're willing to put the code up to pc. When it comes to cross platform games it's about playing them in the best possible way. PC. Nothing else matters.

LilChicken22 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
LilChicken22 said:
Wii U will get most of Japanese third party support and thats good enough for me (and Japan). I'm personally done with all the glitchy graphicsfocussed games and realized Japanese games are the only one with actual gameplay. Japan will realise the development cost are way to high for the PS4 because the main focus will be graphical power and therefore make games for Wii U and 3DS. The same is happening with 3DS/Vita right now. Nintendo already took over Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Bayonetta. This may only be the beginning.

Also: the Japanese market is WAY larger en profitable than the western countries.

hahahha thanks for that. I needed a good laugh after this depressing day

So you think Japanese developers are constantly making their original PSVita game a 3DS exclusive for fun? I don't believe in such coincidence. Sony is only focussing on the western market with games such as Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and LBP and again, those games only sell in Europe/America. Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the Japanese market and 3DS is now a huge succes in Japan by having GREAT exclusives (Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Bravely Default). Sony doesn't care about the Japanese market anymore. The same will probably happen to the PS4/Wii U like the PSVita/3DS in Japan now.

haha oh no I just thought it was adorable how you think the JP market is way larger than the western coutries...truly hilarious stuff.

oh and ps: Considering the amount of 3rd party games ps3 has gotten..I really am not sure how you can even say sony doesn't care about the JP market anymore lol ignorance is bliss eh? carry on

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Cobretti2 said:
LOL apart from all the errors in your post like: "old code this", "new challenges on new architecture" and "money not important"

I agree that the most likely outcome will be less then stellar Wii U support.

However I also believe that if the WiiU was more powerful it still would not get those ports as history has proven this before. The fact is that little Nintnendo logo is what stopes most developers touching the console.

So NIntendos choices are:
1) Make affordable hardware users will be happy with
2) Make expensive hardware developers want, but in the end won't develop for and sell at higher price resulting even worst sales than it is now.

Oh I am an engineer and MONEY comes first as I got a mortgage and bills to pay (they are not small in Australian).

I think the choices you gave for Nintendo are a false dilemma.

A major problem that publishers have with Nintendo is that Nintendo both out competes and crowds them out. It doesn't matter how powerful the Nintendo console is the publishers are unlikely to ever really be happy with them and supporting their consoles. On the 'Halo box' you can still sell Call of Duty, Battlefield etc but on the Mario box you couldn't really sell something like 'Little Big Planet'. The hardcore users are too loyal and the casual users only mostly stick with the best which comes from Nintendo.

If you had a choice between doing interesting work or uninteresting work on the same salary you would choose the former and not the latter. If for instance you're Corriane Yu and someone told you to work on a platform you didn't like you have the credentials to tell them to go to hell because you've got job offers lined up. When the Wii was released we effectively experienced the publishers reluctance and their inability to 'move their A teams' to follow the money on the Wii. Game developers are paid far less than what they are worth in other fields, especially good ones so if you can't excite their passion then you've got to pay them an equivalent salary, however publishers like how things operate so they give their top class developers some flexibility.

Tease.