By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - This is why I don't like debating religion

KungKras said:
timmah said:

We've established pretty firmly that it's not possible to prove or disprove the existence of God, and you agree with that, yet you want somebody to say "God exists, my religion is right, here's proof"? So you have presented an impossible premise that we must meet in order to satisfy your wishes. Awesome.

Why he did that is becasue if you want to make statements about reality and be taken seriously, the null hypothesis convention applies. IE if you make a statement, it needs to be backed up or it can be disregarded. Tons of religious people make claims about reality all the time and expect to be taken seriosly, but for their statements to have any weight, they must also be backed up in the real world.

If the null hypothesis convention did not apply, I could prove all kinds of absurdities based on them not being disprovable, which the flying spaghetti monster is an example of.

Wait! He's not real? But those noodly appendages....   : )

Around the Network
GameOver22 said:

Wait! He's not real? But those noodly appendages....   : )

He's real in our hearts :)

I LOVE ICELAND!

timmah said:
dsgrue3 said:
Alara317 said:
timmah said:

Throwing in a large amount of time does not automatically make something possible. You're saying it took Billions of years for life to get where it is now, I'm saying we can't even prove that living matter can come from non-living matter, even at the single cell level.

Sure, amino acids can form, we've confirmed that. That still doesn't bridge the gap from non-living matter to living matter. There is still no scientific proof of that at all.

Inorganic chemicals created purposefully by intelligence self-replicated. Ok, so can this happen without us 'making' and 'designing' those chemicals? This still does not prove that life can come from non-life without DESIGN, since those chemicals were specifically designed by intelligent beings (so you're kind of proving my point)

RNA is self-replicating, sure, but that goes back to my point that all life is self-replicating and there is always a precurser of other, pre-existing life. The RNA cannot self-replicate unless RNA already exists.

Not a single example above shows even a single living cell coming from non-living matter.

You are aware that they've come very close to recreating albiogenesis in a lab, right?  That's where they put all the stuff theorized to be swimming the ocean diring the formative years of our planet, and expose it to the equivalent of volcanic and electric activity to make the proteins and acids combine in such a way to make rudimentary forms of life.  

Look it up, kinda devastating to the creationst's case. 

Yeah I've told him about the Miller-Urey experiment. He seems to think just because it proves that amino acids form without influence from anyone, and form based purely upon the conditions provided, that it does not refute intelligent design. lol

Proving something can happen does not prove that something else did not. Again, they produced the building blocks for life, there is still no solid scientific proof or explanation on how non-living matter became living matter. Just look at this quote from the Wikipedia page about Abiogenesis:

"From organic molecules to protocells

The question "How do simple organic molecules form a protocell?" is largely unanswered but there are many hypotheses. Some of these postulate the early appearance of nucleic acids ("genes-first") whereas others postulate the evolution of biochemical reactions and pathways first ("metabolism-first"). Recently, trends are emerging to create hybrid models that combine aspects of both."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

It's all about hypotheses, postulations, models, and ideas, so don't act like it's some concretely proven fact when there are many, many hypothesis and no concrete answers. The problem is that you come across like you have some proven fact to back up your worldview, while the scientific community has nothing but theories in reality, then turn that around to insinuate that anybody who does not share your views is basically stupid.

I've been reading your other posts in this thread and I just have to say, God bless you dude, God bless you.

Don't let them wear you out though, cause some these dudes can be really onesided, as I'm sure you've noticed. They seemingly believe that people are born Christians or Religious, and if not, they are stupid for chosing Christianity or a Religion, and cannot possibly get to that state by matters of reason, logic or evidence. Ultimately, that it's impossible for Science and Religion to exist together, as many Christians believe.

Anyways, cary on.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

DaRev said:
EdHieron said:
DaRev said:
EdHieron said:
DaRev said:

whatever dude - the bible has been around forever, and inspite of all its purported flaws, and it will be around long after you and your prestigious scholars and universities have turned to dust. 1 book my friend, 1 resilliant little book like no other

Also "The Bible" really hasn't demonstrated that it's that much more resillient than many of the world's ancient texts.  You can still go into any major bookstore and still buy "The Iliad", "The Odyssey", the "Bhagavad Gita", the Egyptian "Funerary Texts and Book of the Dead", "The Gnostic Gospels" ( interest in which has been dramatically on the increase over the last 50 years or so in comparison to the texts contained in the official version to the point that modern versions of "The Bible" are starting to include them in their texts), and even the Sumerian texts long after the time when Christians tried to stamp all trace of most of them out of the world, so I wouldn't even say "The Bible" is all that more resillient than many other ancient texts.

Remind me again how man people in the world in different countries and across different culters and races worship the God of the Iliad RELIGIOUSLY day by day. We know who christians are, but what do you call people who's main religious text is th e Book of the Dead? Are you a member or believer in any of these groups? Have you been debating or seen many debates with people that worship the god og the Odyssey?

Please expand upon the purported significance and the followings of these texts you mentioned in contrast to the Bible. Thanks

I don't know of many but given the great lengths including burnings of the texts and murders of the people that believed in them that the Christians went to to have all of these other books removed from the face of the earth during the early years of their era through the Middle Ages, it would appear that for such a supposedly omnipotent god Yahweh just wasn't strong enough to really exterimate Zeus, Thor etc.  Or that if he was really so omniscient, he would have known about the prescence of the Gnostic Gospels in a jar in the desert in Egypt and had his followers destroy them since they cast him in such a bad light and are reportedly so demonic, but it didn't happen.

you do realise that people have tried also to eradicate Christianity and the Bible - remember Jesus dieing on a Cross, remember that?

Actually no one has tried to eradicate Christianity since Constantine made it the official religion of the Roman Empire, although it has done quite a good job of eradicating itself since all of the major claims that it made Millenia ago have been proven to be wrong since the advent of the Age of Scientific Inquiry and the Scientific Revolution.  As for Jesus dieing on the cross, there's a great deal of scholarly debate on that point.  The Apostle Paul never mentioned how Jesus died in his various writings, and even if he did die on the cross, the earliest version of the earliest of the Biblical Gospels, "The Gospel of Mark", doesn't mention that he resurrected and most scholars now think that the account of Jesus' resurrection in the version of Mark that we have today was only added some 50 or so years after Mark was originally written 30+ years after the supposed death of Jesus of Nazareth to bring it into line with the other Gospels.

Look there is nothing wrong with having faith in things. As long as you are honest with yourself. If you are making a choice to believe in something that isn't supported by fact or reason. There isn't something insidious about copping to what you are doing. If you have an emotional need for something, and embrace something to give your life some greater meaning. I don't think anyone is particularly troubled by that. The real problem is when people decide to be disingenuous about what they are doing.

It is one thing to intentionally delude oneself, but when you deny that is what you are doing, and blindly defend that faith when you know damned well that there isn't any evidence to support that claim. Then you are trying to twist reality to suit your own purposes. It is fundamentally a perverse act, because it is a egocentric mania. It isn't that you really believe. You are just so self absorbed, and so terrified of your own fears. That you are embracing a lie, and it isn't unwarranted to call someone out when they are lying through their teeth.

How is it wrong to expect genuine honesty from others. There are a lot of people of faith. Who understand that it isn't necessarily true in the literal sense, but that it is a frame work that they are using for personal growth, or as a world view. You don't have to believe Jesus was God. To think that his world view is the one you like the most. It isn't even wrong to pattern your life after his.

What is wrong is to use faith as a excuse to be ignorant, or to demand ignorance of others. It isn't a beautiful act. It is simple cowardice masquerading as enlightenment. If your view of faith is something to be obedient to so you don't have to look into the abyss. Then you have completely missed the point. You have to stare into that pit for a good long time if you truly intend to grow as a individual. Faith should be a avenue for thought, and not a military march from the cradle to the grave.

Anyway I am about done with this thread, and I concede the author has something of a point. It is really kind of a pointless exercise to talk to people. Who are not only willfully ignorant, but intentionally obtuse, because they are too scared to admit that their belief stems from a deep need or want. Rather then it being some kind of self evident fact.

Around the Network
DaRev said:

I've been reading your other posts in this thread and I just have to say, God bless you dude, God bless you.

Don't let them wear you out though, cause some these dudes can be really onesided, as I'm sure you've noticed. They seemingly believe that people are born Christians or Religious, and if not, they are stupid for chosing Christianity or a Religion, and cannot possibly get to that state by matters of reason, logic or evidence. Ultimately, that it's impossible for Science and Religion to exist together, as many Christians believe.

Anyways, cary on.

Actually, there have been studies proving that an overwhelming majority of religious folks (like 98%) are born into a religion;  only a tiny minority ever actuallyswitch religions or chose their own, the rest just go with whatever religion their parents gave them.  So yes, there's good reason to believe people are 'born religious'.  

And the theme of this thread is really not that hard to grasp.  I did make it clear in the original post that you can believe what you want, just keep it to yourself unless you can substantiate your claims.  If you believe baby jesus bestowed upon us love and grace, then so be it.  If you think Odin and Thor were responsible, then so be it.  But if you actually believe that, and are willing to take what should be a personal matter into public, then you should be willing and ready to face criticism of that belief.  

I, for instance, am not monogamous.  I don't believe in monogamy, I believe in doing what makes you feel good as long as you're smart about it, and that viewpoint is not popular at all, so I wouldn't dare TELL people that part of my personal life unless I was willing to defend my stance with facts, reason, and logic.  Same thing with being bisexual, I don't go screaming "I fuck men and women" from rooftops, but I have no problem talking about it to those who are curious.  Religion is just a personal preference, NOT an absolute truth of the world, so would it kill people to not push it on others or pretend that 'god's word' has more say than law, logic, science, rationality, or social guidelines?  

The entire point of this thread was "Keep religion out of anything that isn't a church or your own home."  

Alara317 said:
DaRev said:

Anyways, cary on.

Actually, there have been studies proving that an overwhelming majority of religious folks (like 98%) are born into a religion;  only a tiny minority ever actuallyswitch religions or chose their own, the rest just go with whatever religion their parents gave them.  So yes, there's good reason to believe people are 'born religious'.  

And the theme of this thread is really not that hard to grasp.  I did make it clear in the original post that you can believe what you want, just keep it to yourself unless you can substantiate your claims.  If you believe baby jesus bestowed upon us love and grace, then so be it.  If you think Odin and Thor were responsible, then so be it.  But if you actually believe that, and are willing to take what should be a personal matter into public, then you should be willing and ready to face criticism of that belief.  

I, for instance, am not monogamous.  I don't believe in monogamy, I believe in doing what makes you feel good as long as you're smart about it, and that viewpoint is not popular at all, so I wouldn't dare TELL people that part of my personal life unless I was willing to defend my stance with facts, reason, and logic.  Same thing with being bisexual, I don't go screaming "I fuck men and women" from rooftops, but I have no problem talking about it to those who are curious.  Religion is just a personal preference, NOT an absolute truth of the world, so would it kill people to not push it on others or pretend that 'god's word' has more say than law, logic, science, rationality, or social guidelines?  

The entire point of this thread was "Keep religion out of anything that isn't a church or your own home."  

So is this an attempt at censorship? Please clarify. I don't mind criticism, but I don't feel like just because I have a different viewpoint that doesn't fit someone's template that I should be attacked out-right either. I don't attack other people for their own beliefs, in fact I completely understand and honor an athiest's POV out of my own experiences. I may not be real interested in every single criticism some people may have, but I do consider their viewpoint too as part of living.

Really honestly, I have no idea who exactly you are targetting with your message. So are you saying people shouldn't even talk about it or are you just saying people shouldn't push it? It sounds like you're trying to intimidate. If I give respect to others just as much as I expect it... if the problem here is that some random people on the internet made you feel disgruntled, then you have to consider the venue and the source. If you have no malice towards others for having opposite beliefs and totally respect it, then this thread existing is no problem for me whatsoever... it's the fact that you seem to almost hint at the desire to intimidate or suppress someone's expression and that seems in itself more than nuetral, more hostile.

What happened to just random conversation without the fear that you may be attacked for what you believe in? I don't get that thinking. I shouldn't have to suppress casual conversation just because it may open an argument... I can politely say it's my opinion and leave it there. I have no beef with anyone else who thinks differently...  but why does every discussion about religion and spirituality have to turn to an exhausting debate? Wasn't the point of your thread against debates that go no where?

Dodece said:

Look there is nothing wrong with having faith in things. As long as you are honest with yourself. If you are making a choice to believe in something that isn't supported by fact or reason. There isn't something insidious about copping to what you are doing. If you have an emotional need for something, and embrace something to give your life some greater meaning. I don't think anyone is particularly troubled by that. The real problem is when people decide to be disingenuous about what they are doing. 

I have been avoiding your remarks because I feel your comments come under the pressure of wanting to force an opinion, not to reason with... the only thing I have to say is you're making a mistake by assuming other people's reasoning and state of mind with your comments. You have asked for something that is very reasonable and respectable (the underlined), but then suddenly you are telling people that when they do, they are doing it out of emotional need. You have determined their purpose for them. This is your assumption based off of an observation... it's not proven fact, but you've disguised an opinion as fact. I do believe there is greater purpose in life than just doing things out of simple emotional need. These are my values. It's not as cut and dry for me as I do it out of emotional need. Many things have happened in my life that have altered the way I perceive things and how I view the spiritual. Your opinion may completely differ and that's fine, I totally respect that and hats off if your life has taken you somewhere else... but your request is a trap to get people to conform to your point of view of religion/spirituality. It's not reasonable. It comes with strings attached that are borderline demeaning to someone who truly has a different take on life than you.

Edit: I edited some.

Marucha said:
Alara317 said:
DaRev said:

Anyways, cary on.

So is this an attempt at censorship? Please clarify. I don't mind criticism, but I don't feel like just because I have a different viewpoint that doesn't fit someone's template that I should be attacked out-right either. I don't attack other people for their own beliefs, in fact I completely understand and honor an athiest's POV out of my own experiences. I may not be real interested in every single criticism some people may have, but I do consider their viewpoint too as part of living.

Really honestly, I have no idea who exactly you are targetting with your message. So are you saying people shouldn't even talk about it or are you just saying people shouldn't push it? It sounds like you're trying to intimidate. If I give respect to others just as much as I expect it... if the problem here is that some random people on the internet made you feel disgruntled, then you have to consider the venue and the source. If you have no malice towards others for having opposite beliefs and totally respect it, then this thread existing is no problem for me whatsoever... it's the fact that you seem to almost hint at the desire to intimidate or suppress someone's expression and that seems in itself more than nuetral, more hostile.

What happened to just random conversation without the fear that you may be attacked for what you believe in? I don't get that thinking. I shouldn't have to suppress casual conversation just because it may open an argument... I can politely say it's my opinion and leave it there. I have no beef with anyone else who thinks differently...  but why does every discussion about religion and spirituality have to turn to an exhausting debate? Wasn't the point of your thread against debates that go no where?

The question should be in the modern age should believers be able to deny others basic human rights just because of what it says in a thoroughly discredited Bronze Age book.  People should be allowed to believe whatever they want to although if it's false, you should try to teach them what is actually real; however, in a country founded on the separation of state and that which has been demonstrated to be false since the original Constitution was written, the question becomes should that which is false be allowed to dictate the policies of society ( when the Founders called for a separation in the first place)  You wouldn't want a known schizophrenic with his hand on the big red nuclear button would you?

Marucha said:
Alara317 said:
DaRev said:

Anyways, cary on.

I think a more fair consensus is this. If you can't back something up in the real world, it should not affect what others can and can't do in the real world. And if you state your opinion or beliefs, you should always be prepared for it to be critisized.

I LOVE ICELAND!