By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - This is why I don't like debating religion

For all I know there might be a god or aliens or esp or ufos out there. However if there was or is a god it's not Yahweh or Allah and Jesus of Nazareth was not its son.

Around the Network

Interesting thoughts from the opening post, a lot of the time I also do not debate with religious people. Not because that they will always have an answer but because of what your debate is doing. A debate with someone religious is not a debate you can win because to them it's more that you are questioning their faith. People don't like this. So they defend it, just if you insulted their sports team.

This is the same for many 'choices' made. In the case of gay rights, you are questioning their religious values, to a point.

Hmm, pie.

dsgrue3 said:

You may proceed using this definition of existence to support a claim. 

To tie back to the discussion, applied to the question of God and the evolution of sentient beings, I believe that the definition I proposed better suits what is true, in my logic (for both cases).

As such, given my definition, matter existed prior to the creation of sentient beings, and also not having observed God does not ensure that he is not real.

Post below. Don't know how to delete. >.<

happydolphin said:
dsgrue3 said:

You may proceed using this definition of existence to support a claim. 

To tie back to the discussion, applied to the question of God and the evolution of sentient beings, I believe that the definition I proposed better suits what is true, in my logic (for both cases).

As such, given my definition, matter existed prior to the creation of sentient beings, and also not having observed God does not ensure that he is not real.

Edited:

What causation are you applying to God? Futhermore, what causation is responsible for a God at all?

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:

Edited:

What causation are you applying to God? Futhermore, what causation is responsible for a God at all?

Good question. The causation doesn't apply to God as far as I can tell, it only applies to the origin of species.

However, since the definition fits the origin of species, when applies to the God dilemma it makes perfect sense to me. Until you have not diproved his existence, you cannot say he does not exist, using the definition of existence extracted earlier with you.

happydolphin said:
dsgrue3 said:

Edited:

Good question. The causation doesn't apply to God as far as I can tell, it only applies to the origin of species.

However, since the definition fits the origin of species, when applies to the God dilemma it makes perfect sense to me. Until you have not diproved his existence, you cannot say he does not exist, using the definition of existence extracted earlier with you.

But, by your own definition you said that you cannot apply causation to God. Thus disproving his existence. No?

WOW.

Religion has seriously been pwned in this thread thats for sure.

To be honest I find religion offensive in general. Just the general backwards thinking of it.

If I were to walk around the streets today and try to convince people that I can talk to snakes aka Harry Potter style, I would be locked up in a mental asylum by the religious people who claim that the bible has talking snakes. I dont personally believe in any religion. But if its true and, i am just saying it for arguments sakes, than i would say a big f-u to God because of what he stands for and what he expects from me. When i say god i mean all religions not just one.

Young boys get their genitals mutilated because of religion.
Children are refused treatment to life threatening diseases because of religion.
People are exposed to STD's which can be life threatening because of religion. (Not allowed to use condoms)
Woman are forced to have children they dont want or may die carrying as they are not healthy enough to last a full length pregnancy.
Animals are beneath us.
Woman are inferior.
Woman get raped and children murdered.
Slavery is ok
Humans were left to suffer for thousands of years before god thought they needed saving.
Water gets turned to wine
Human sacrifice in the name of the lord is ok?

I wonder how many religious people would sacrifice their children in the name of the lord? If someone was on the news today and killed his child and said it was in the name of the lord, would you want him/her put into jail?

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

dsgrue3 said:

But, by your own definition you said that you cannot apply causation to God. Thus disproving his existence. No?

No, my definition does not require causation to be true, but it is supported by the causality argument I provided earlier. It's not a dependency, it's support to the definition.

Meaning, the definition applied to the case of the evolution of species from non-living matter fits well with what we know to be true (existence of matter prior to the creation of sentient beings).

Applied as well to the notion of God, it fits well too.

Consider the shape of a jigsaw piece, consider a square and a triangle. If we're comparing the edge length of the three objects, despite how different their shape is (causality in one, not in the other), if their edges match, then I'm satisfied in the test. It's the same thing here.

happydolphin said:
dsgrue3 said:

No, my definition does not require causation to be true, but it is supported by the causality argument I provided earlier. It's not a dependency, it's support to the definition.

Meaning, the definition applied to the case of the evolution of species from non-living matter fits well with what we know to be true (existence of matter prior to the creation of sentient beings).

Applied as well to the notion of God, it fits well too.

Consider the shape of a jigsaw piece, consider a square and a triangle. If we're comparing the edge length of the three objects, despite how different their shape is (causality in one, not in the other), if their edges match, then I'm satisfied in the test. It's the same thing here.

lol, your definition for existence was A exists because B requires it to exist. You said A does not have to exist for B to exist and then proceeded to claim that A exists.

You realize evolution does not require God, right?