By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii will hit 100 million units sold the first week of January

Since Im a Nintendo fan i hope it does reach 100mil this year but if i had to guess with remaining weeks and how sales turned out so far my guess is 99mil 250k so in othr word 99.25

Around the Network

I say mid-february at the earliest and mid-march at the latest.

@ spugeon ryan!!! Not saying it wont,and to tell you the truth i want it to surpass over 100mil this month!

so when does it pass 250M?

kitler53 said:

We'll have to get John Lucas back here with his updated "analysis" :P

Around the Network

I think it'll get to 99.5 before the end of this year. Which is too bad since sales will be terrible after January 1st, so somewhere in Februari it will be I guess. Overtaking PS1 is a given, and it will do it halfway through next year. It's only 4 million to go (102, VGC's 104 is incorrect). When discontinued, it'll be between 110m-120m. 120 easily if Nintendo gets around to publishing in other regions like Sony does.

kitler53 said:

Lol. I think Nintendo still has this secret stash of 150m units somewhere safe .

pezus said:
S.Peelman said:

I think it'll get to 99.5 before the end of this year. Which is too bad since sales will be terrible after January 1st, so somewhere in Februari it will be I guess. Overtaking PS1 is a given, and it will do it halfway through next year. It's only 4 million to go (102, VGC's 104 is incorrect). When discontinued, it'll be between 110m-120m. 120 easily if Nintendo gets around to publishing in other regions like Sony does.

kitler53 said:

Lol. I think Nintendo still has this secret stash of 150m units somewhere safe .

PS1 was actually at 102.5m back in 2005. When did they discontinue it?

120m is never going to happen and 110+ is really stretching it imo. It will barely sell 3m next year

Italic: According to Wikipedia, the PlayStation ended at 102.49 and was discontinued on March 23rd 2006. The source for that sales figure is Sony themselves and published March 2007, so I guess that's correct.

Bold: Yes, it is stretching it I agree. And I'm optimistic, I say it'll still do past 4m next year . However, if there's one thing Nintendo should be copying, it's Sony distributing it's stuff all around the world .

I think Nintendo should drop the price of the Wii to 39.99 and sell 100 million more to everyone who needs another Motion Plus remote.

Based on current weekly sales the most optimistic scenario I can see is 99.5 million by New Years. Realistically, probably closer to 99 million.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

pezus said:
S.Peelman said:

Italic: According to Wikipedia, the PlayStation ended at 102.49 and was discontinued on March 23rd 2006. The source for that sales figure is Sony themselves and published March 2007, so I guess that's correct.

Bold: Yes, it is stretching it I agree. And I'm optimistic, I say it'll still do past 4m next year . However, if there's one thing Nintendo should be copying, it's Sony distributing it's stuff all around the world .

Bold: Where do you see that? I see the discontinued date, but where is the source that was published March 2007?

It is source #6. The footnote is next to the 'Units Sold' number in the infobox.

The source takes you to one of Sony's publications called PlayStation Cumulative Production Shipments of Hardware through this nifty thing called 'the Waybackmachine' because apparently the original web page doesn't exist anymore (you have to wait a few seconds before it finds it).

Anyway, you were correct about the 102.5 number in 2005. By that publication, it seems like that was their final shipment. Bringing it up from 101.73 to 102.49 for a last time. The source Wikipedia has for the discontinue-date (source #5) seems to be from an article by GameSpot, so that's a little less reliable than the Sony publication, but sadly I can't find anything else for the moment.