By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Wii U) What Nintendo Main IP is Going to be Announced Next?

Next Big Nintendo IP Annoucement For Wii U?

F-ZERO 19 7.92%

ANIMAL CROSSING 6 2.50%

KIRBY 5 2.08%

STAR FOX 36 15.00%

YOSHI 54 22.50%

METROID 69 28.75%

D.K. 9 3.75%

FIRE EMBLEM 4 1.67%

BRAND NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN IP!!! 35 14.58%

SMALL IP'S (GOLDEN SUN, ... 3 1.25%

Total:240
TheLastStarFighter said:
@Banana

Nintendo usually comes out with something very new each generation. Not just a new IP, but quite often a new genre. You mention a game like Uncharted or others that were new... and they are... but they are just new takes on an adventure games or stealth games or whatever. Nintendo makes new genres, like "the platformer" Marios Bros, "kart games" MarioKart or the "3d platformer" Mario 64.

Nintendo didn't make the platform genre.  They simply perfected it.

Around the Network

@tbone... I see your point. But Kid Icarus (orignal) was an amazing game. I played the hell out of that and Metroid one year. But ice climber? that was garbage, lol. There's not much substance to that one.

@Seth

I think Donkey Kong is generally considered the first platfromer where you jump from platform to platform. Super Mario Bros was not the first scrolling platformer, but really the one that established the genre.

TheLastStarFighter said:
@Seth

I think Donkey Kong is generally considered the first platfromer where you jump from platform to platform. Super Mario Bros was not the first scrolling platformer, but really the one that established the genre.

Yeah they do list two games before Donky Kong but state that it didn't involve jumping, swinging, etc (only falling).  So I guess Donkey Kong is the true first platformer?

Platform games appeared at the beginning of the 1980s. Because of the technical limitations of the day, early examples were confined to a static playing field, generally viewed in profile. Space Panic, a 1980 arcade release by Universal, is sometimes credited as the first platform game,[6] though the distinction is contentious, while the player had the ability to fall, there was no ability to jump, swing, or bounce, and as such, does not satisfy most modern definitions of the genre. However, it was clearly an influence on the genre, with gameplay centered on climbing ladders between different floors, a common element in many early platform games. Another precursor to the genre released that same year was Nichibutsu's Crazy Climber, which revolved around the concept of climbing buildings.[7][8]

Donkey Kong, an arcade game created by Nintendo, released in July 1981, was the first game that allowed players to jump over obstacles and across gaps, making it the first true platformer.[9][10] Donkey Kong had a limited amount of platforming in its first two screens, but its other two accessible screens have a more pronounced platform jumping component. This game also introduced Mario, an icon of the genre. Donkey Kong was ported to many consoles and computers at the time, and the title helped to cement Nintendo's position as an important name internationally in the video game industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game

@laststarfighter

About Ice climbers your right it wasn't good but since there in two Smash games they got recognition and need an ip maker over!!! Thts what im saying!!! KI was good back in the day but KIU was by far the best 3ds title and a damn good one!!!

Around the Network

I looked through all the nintendo franchises, and I don't see how it could be anything other than star fox. A retro studios employee said "we're working on the game everyone wants us to make". They've made tonnes of metroid, and fans aren't clamoring for a rehash from the same company... They aren't making rpgs so xenoblade and fire emblem are out. I don't believe anyone wants them to make mario or zelda or kirby. Those are all handled just fine where they are. We know exactly who's making smash bros so no worries there.

Only thing that I can see are either star fox or F-Zero or maybe sin and punishment and I don't think F-Zero would be picked over star fox. And outside of Nintendo's core metroid, I don't think the company is doing shooters and are leaving those to the third parties.

@sethnintendo

Whats your choice of the polls???

DarkD said:
I looked through all the nintendo franchises, and I don't see how it could be anything other than star fox. A retro studios employee said "we're working on the game everyone wants us to make". They've made tonnes of metroid, and fans aren't clamoring for a rehash from the same company... They aren't making rpgs so xenoblade and fire emblem are out. I don't believe anyone wants them to make mario or zelda or kirby. Those are all handled just fine where they are. We know exactly who's making smash bros so no worries there.

Only thing that I can see are either star fox or F-Zero or maybe sin and punishment and I don't think F-Zero would be picked over star fox. And outside of Nintendo's core metroid, I don't think the company is doing shooters and are leaving those to the third parties.

Thats my guess to star fox and f zero are most likely or should i say most needed to be on a system right now!!! Retro is definitely making a system seller, my dream come true IMO would be a cross over though Starfox X Metroid but i be fine with just one!

tbone51 said:
@sethnintendo

Whats your choice of the polls???

Donky Kong since I'm more interested in system sellers than new IPs or the other IPs you listed for Wii U at the moment.  Nintendo Land is good enough for a "new ip" for Nintendo right now.  The other titles aren't mass market titles/mainly niche titles.   New IPs can be system sellers (Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, etc) but usually they are niche titles.  You have to have a really good new IP for it be a system seller.  With Wii Fit U coming out early next year the biggest system seller that they can put out in the holiday season would be Mario Kart.

I doubt it will be the holiday blockbuster of 2013, but I suspect the next main IP out of Nintendo would be everyone's favorite pink glutton Kirby.

It is the easiest of Nintendo's to produce outside of the obvious Mario spin offs. And on that note, I am putting money on Mario Kart U for the 2013 holiday season.