By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The old adage that Xbox 360 Exclusives Sell So Much Better than Playstation 3 Exclusives is a Myth!

hollabackenny said:
EdHieron said:
hollabackenny said:
EdHieron said:
In comparison to sales of the Halo games, the Gears games pale in comparison as a matter of fact none of the Gears games have even hit a respectable 8 Million Units sold.

You mean like how GT5 is the only game to have passed 8million for PS3? What a valid argument. Especially since both consoles are roughly tied in sales, you'd think a game the big Uncharted series would  hit a "respectable" 8 million....

Gears is supposed to be the 360s biggest selling exclusive other than Halo, so its numbers are quite low to be in that position.  Uncharted isn't even supposed to be the Playstation 3's second best selling exclusive.  If GTA IV and FF XIII had remained PS3 exclusives, they would both have had higher sales than Gears or Uncharted.

GTA hasn't been exclusive to PS since 2003. And what is supposed to be PS3's second best selling exclusive? Whatever it is, it must be dramatically underperforming. 

Final Fantasy XIII which didn't sell as well as it should have since it took a lot of flak by going multi-plat.  Still it sold better than any rpg on 360 including the Mass Effect games.

Around the Network

I agreed with you a a bit, earlier, Ed. But now, you're saying some seriously crazy shit. It's been my experience that when people start talking seriously crazy, no outside party can change their perspective. You seem like an intelligent guy. Take a step back and be honest with yourself. Are you actually making sense at this point.

smroadkill15 said:
I did some calculations myself. I added up all the exclusives that have sold over 1 million and this is what it looks like:

Ps3: 90.08

360:89.56

Very very close, less than 1 million difference. I didn't include Kinect Adventures for obvious reasons or any 360/PC titles so that means no Gears 1, Fable 3, L4D1&2, Alan Wake, etc. Of course these numbers will change, but this is what it stands at right now.

The problem is you've just come up with an arbritary figure and used that as a benchmark. The only real calculation that's worth anything is the average amount sold for an exculsive title on the two platforms. 

EdHieron said:

I often see it mentioned in these forums that Xbox 360 exclusives sell so much better than Playstation 3 exclusives; however, when looking at the bestselling games for each console in this website's database I uncovered evidence that that could be no more than a myth or at least that if it's true it's not in the staggering amount that forum poster comments would seem to suggest.

Now it is true that "Kinect Adventures" which is a bundled game with Kinect has sold over 18 million copies; however, I think that one can be thrown out since it's a bundled game and due to the fact that I'm pretty sure that most 360 Diehards don't really want the 360 to be remembered primarily as the home of "Kinect Adventures".

And its true that "Halo" is one of the bestselling game series of all time.  That's an undeniable fact and no PS3 exclusive shooter comes anywhere near equaling its sales.  However, its also true that "Gran Turismo" is one of the bestselling game series of all time and "Forza" may have its fanboys, but no "Forza" racer has come anywhere near equalling the sales of the latest "Gran Turismo" game for PS3.  So, I really think those two can be considered a wash.

Now, when you dig a bit deeper, you find that the 360s second most popular hardcore series "Gears of War" has sales in the 5 to 6 million unit range.  And, I would have to admit that that number looks pretty impressive.  It's definitely not in the "Halo" games level of success range, but 5 to 6 million still looks impressive.  However, it turns out there's a problem with that because when you look at the sales for the "Uncharted" games and "Metal Gear Solid 4" on Playstation 3, guess what you find?  The "Uncharted" games and "Metal Gear Solid 4" on Playstation 3 both have Sales in the 5 to 6 million range.  They may not have sold quite as many games as the games in the "Gears" series, but I think the sales for the games are actually quite comparable and certainly nothing that would lead one to think that the sales of the "Gears" games totally crush the sales of the "Uncharted" games as forum rhetoric would have it.

So, I think it becomes pretty apparent that the oft times repeated mantra that 360 exclusives sell so much better than PS3 exclusives turns out to be nothing more than a myth.  What do you think?

Just do the math. Work out the average amount sold for each console, and then repeat excluding bundles. 

Jay520 said:
I agreed with you a a bit, earlier, Ed. But now, you're saying some seriously crazy shit. It's been my experience that when people start talking seriously crazy, no outside party can change their perspective. You seem like an intelligent guy. Take a step back and be honest with yourself. Are you actually making sense at this point.

I'm making sense.  At the beginning of this gen did you hear any talk about how Uncharted was going to be the PS3's best selling exclusive?  No, it was all about how Grand Theft Auto IV, Street Fighter IV, Final Fasntasy XIII, etc. would all be the biggest PS3 games.  If all those former Sony exclusives had stayed exclusive to Sony, they would all have sold at their typical levels, and this console gen would have turned out differently.  But as it stands the best selling PS3 exculsives still sell comparably well to the way that 360 exclusives sell.  Case in point:  Uncharted and Gears of War.  The only Gears game to have sold more than a million units more than an Uncharted game is Gears I versus Uncharted I.

Around the Network
EdHieron said:

I often see it mentioned in these forums that Xbox 360 exclusives sell so much better than Playstation 3 exclusives; however, when looking at the bestselling games for each console in this website's database I uncovered evidence that that could be no more than a myth or at least that if it's true it's not in the staggering amount that forum poster comments would seem to suggest.

Now it is true that "Kinect Adventures" which is a bundled game with Kinect has sold over 18 million copies; however, I think that one can be thrown out since it's a bundled game and due to the fact that I'm pretty sure that most 360 Diehards don't really want the 360 to be remembered primarily as the home of "Kinect Adventures".

And its true that "Halo" is one of the bestselling game series of all time.  That's an undeniable fact and no PS3 exclusive shooter comes anywhere near equaling its sales.  However, its also true that "Gran Turismo" is one of the bestselling game series of all time and "Forza" may have its fanboys, but no "Forza" racer has come anywhere near equalling the sales of the latest "Gran Turismo" game for PS3.  So, I really think those two can be considered a wash.

Now, when you dig a bit deeper, you find that the 360s second most popular hardcore series "Gears of War" has sales in the 5 to 6 million unit range.  And, I would have to admit that that number looks pretty impressive.  It's definitely not in the "Halo" games level of success range, but 5 to 6 million still looks impressive.  However, it turns out there's a problem with that because when you look at the sales for the "Uncharted" games and "Metal Gear Solid 4" on Playstation 3, guess what you find?  The "Uncharted" games and "Metal Gear Solid 4" on Playstation 3 both have Sales in the 5 to 6 million range.  They may not have sold quite as many games as the games in the "Gears" series, but I think the sales for the games are actually quite comparable and certainly nothing that would lead one to think that the sales of the "Gears" games totally crush the sales of the "Uncharted" games as forum rhetoric would have it.

So, I think it becomes pretty apparent that the oft times repeated mantra that 360 exclusives sell so much better than PS3 exclusives turns out to be nothing more than a myth.  What do you think?

Both pale to sales of games on Wii or PS2

Especially the Wii which has the most huge sellers of any console to date. Huge meaning 10+ million... even more if you want to use the 5+ million

Doesn't really mean much other than gamer's favorite hobbies and AAA are in danger because those games with bigger budgets simply don't sell enough to justify that cost. Not when Kinect Adventures ends up being the top seller on X360 and Wii Sports and Mario Kart type games on Wii.

EdHieron said:
Jay520 said:

I'm making sense.  At the beginning of this gen did you hear any talk about how Uncharted was going to be the PS3's best selling exclusive?  No, it was all about how Grand Theft Auto IV, Street Fighter IV, Final Fasntasy XIII, etc. would all be the biggest PS3 games.  If all those former Sony exclusives had stayed exclusive to Sony, they would all have sold at their typical levels, and this console gen would have turned out differently.  But as it stands the best selling PS3 exculsives still sell comparably well to the way that 360 exclusives sell.  Case in point:  Uncharted and Gears of War.  The only Gears game to have sold more than a million units more than an Uncharted game is Gears I versus Uncharted I.

Im going to use your argument against you.  Uncharted is a highly bundled series.  It takes nothing away from how good unchated is but Gears does not get bundled other than when it is first released with a new console.  People are not agreeing with you because you are talking about a game that sells 5-6m per game and acting like that is bad.  If you havent noticed it has been the biggest exclusive game since Halo from both companies.  What are you trying to prove exactly?  How bias you are?  Take a step back and realize that both uncharted and gears is successful but do not try to tell people that gears is not big because it cant sell as much as halo.  I guess in that logic nothing on playstation sells well because Gran Turismo has sold 8 mil?  Then does that mean Gran Turismo sells bad because Halo 3 sold 12m?  Does that mean Halo 3 sold bad because Mario can sel 20m?  No they all sold well, so relax and stop making up your own logic to prove a point.

Halo 4 - 5.52 million

PS3 Exclusives

Okami HD - 0.08

Jak and Daxter Collection - 0.31

Ratchet and Clank Collection - 0.13

MLB 12: The Show - 0.79

Twisted Metal - 0.57

Starhawk - 0.18

Sorcery - 0.12

Tales of Graces (2012 Sales) - 0.31

House of the Dead 4 - 0.05

Tokyo Jungle - 0.23

LBP Karting - 0.21

Playstation All Stars BR - 0.17

Ratchet and Clank: FFA - N/A

God of War Saga - 0.11

Wonderbook - N/A

One Piece Pirate Musou - 0.96

Tokitowa: 0.04

Tales of Xillia 2: 0.4
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012: 0.14
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012: 0.18
Atelier Ayesha: 0.11
Kidou Senshi Gundam UC: 0.09
Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires: 0.08
Yakuza HD: 0.07
Mugen Souls: 0.09
Atelier Meruru: 0.02
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory: 0.05

Total (70+ on Metacritic): 3.35 million

Grand Total (27 games): 5.58 million

Halo 4: 5.52 million

lol its not a myth.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

"However, its also true that "Gran Turismo" is one of the bestselling game series of all time and "Forza" may have its fanboys, but no "Forza" racer has come anywhere near equalling the sales of the latest "Gran Turismo" game for PS3."

One on one comparisons dont show the full picture. "IP" sales per gen REALLY shows whats what.

GT5 - 8.32
GT5:P - 4.11

Forza2 - 3.99
Forza3 - 5.22
Forza4 - 3.08
Forza Horizon - 0.74

13.03 > 12.43. And Forza 4 bundles will continue to outpace GT5 for another 4 weeks. Horizon still selling decent on its own. Gap will be even wider by January.

This is MS's THIRD best IP compared to Sonys #1. Think about that. Myth busted again.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Halo 4 - 5.52 million

PS3 Exclusives

Okami HD - 0.08

Jak and Daxter Collection - 0.31

Ratchet and Clank Collection - 0.13

MLB 12: The Show - 0.79

Twisted Metal - 0.57

Starhawk - 0.18

Sorcery - 0.12

Tales of Graces (2012 Sales) - 0.31

House of the Dead 4 - 0.05

Tokyo Jungle - 0.23

LBP Karting - 0.21

Playstation All Stars BR - 0.17

Ratchet and Clank: FFA - N/A

God of War Saga - 0.11

Wonderbook - N/A

One Piece Pirate Musou - 0.96

Tokitowa: 0.04

Tales of Xillia 2: 0.4
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012: 0.14
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012: 0.18
Atelier Ayesha: 0.11
Kidou Senshi Gundam UC: 0.09
Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires: 0.08
Yakuza HD: 0.07
Mugen Souls: 0.09
Atelier Meruru: 0.02
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory: 0.05

Total (70+ on Metacritic): 3.35 million

Grand Total (27 games): 5.58 million

Halo 4: 5.52 million

lol its not a myth.

So are you trying to say there's a lot more diversity in your gaming options on PS3 or what?  Aside from a couple of shooter series the 360 really doesn't tend to have that much.